TWG Teas Yellow Gold Tea - Have Y'all Seen This?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Sep 30th, '15, 15:00

TWG Teas Yellow Gold Tea - Have Y'all Seen This?

by NateHevens » Sep 30th, '15, 15:00

https://www.twgtea.com/product/details?code=T601

I've never purchased anything from TWG, although I do have them bookmarked. So I can't really give an overview as to their quality or whatever...

But I wanted to highlight this... this takes the cake. It's yellow tea, but each leaf bud has been, to use their description, "lavished in 24-karat gold". (Yes... "lavished"...)

I tried it once, back when I still lived in Florida. Don't worry... I didn't waste my money on it. I have a friend down there who's wealthy, and decided he wanted to compare this tea with another yellow tea (not TWG's other one; I can't remember what it was; it was much much much cheaper, though).

It was... worthless. Both yellow teas tasted the same, with the exception of that metallic aftertaste to the gold one which, to be honest, was not really enjoyable.

I'm not sure what the point of "lavishing" tea buds in any metallic element is supposed to be (what's next... silver needle buds "lavished" in pure platinum?... wait... I shouldn't give TWG any ideas). This whole thing seems ridiculous, and frankly, it is.

But I thought y'all would get a kick out of it, so...

Sep 30th, '15, 16:05

Re: TWG Teas Yellow Gold Tea - Have Y'all Seen This?

by debunix » Sep 30th, '15, 16:05

Photos? Can you see anything like motes of golden dust as you look at the leaves?

Sep 30th, '15, 21:44

by kyarazen » Sep 30th, '15, 21:44

NateHevens wrote:https://www.twgtea.com/product/details?code=T601

I've never purchased anything from TWG, although I do have them bookmarked. So I can't really give an overview as to their quality or whatever...

But I wanted to highlight this... this takes the cake. It's yellow tea, but each leaf bud has been, to use their description, "lavished in 24-karat gold". (Yes... "lavished"...)

I tried it once, back when I still lived in Florida. Don't worry... I didn't waste my money on it. I have a friend down there who's wealthy, and decided he wanted to compare this tea with another yellow tea (not TWG's other one; I can't remember what it was; it was much much much cheaper, though).

It was... worthless. Both yellow teas tasted the same, with the exception of that metallic aftertaste to the gold one which, to be honest, was not really enjoyable.

I'm not sure what the point of "lavishing" tea buds in any metallic element is supposed to be (what's next... silver needle buds "lavished" in pure platinum?... wait... I shouldn't give TWG any ideas). This whole thing seems ridiculous, and frankly, it is.

But I thought y'all would get a kick out of it, so...
this company is from the region where i'm from..

well, you have to pay 30 dollars++ for a small number of tea bags filled with EXTREMELY smokey lapsang souchong.. with some gimmicky cotton teabag where the fine fibres can irritate your throat :P

and yes.. 1837 in the name has nothing to do with the history of the company, they added it in for some strange "commemorative" reason, but many were lead to think the company was a couple hundred years old when it was barely a few.

Oct 1st, '15, 15:36

by NateHevens » Oct 1st, '15, 15:36

debunix wrote:Photos? Can you see anything like motes of golden dust as you look at the leaves?
Oh man I don't have any photos, sorry. This was a good 10 months ago when I tried it. As for the gold... yeah, you could see it. I don't know what's with the pic on the site, but the gold was relatively obvious. Came right off in the hot water, though. Did make the brew a little sparkly, which was cool, but that's it.

It's okay to ingest little amounts of gold (otherwise Goldschlagger wouldn't be a thing... no, I'm not defending Goldschlagger, don't worry), and that's about how much is in a brew... maybe less.

It's just a gimmick, nothing more. An excuse to charge as much as they do for it.

+ Post Reply