Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

Tea or pot doesn't float your boat? Find it a new home here.

Jul 14th, '16, 20:41
Vendor Member

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by jayinhk » Jul 14th, '16, 20:41

Dr Chen was the guy Ethan met via Bok..I didn't get to meet him. Chen is one of the most common last names in Taiwan...think of it as 'Smith' and you'll realize how ubiquitous it is :D

Jul 14th, '16, 20:50
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 14th, '16, 20:50

jayinhk wrote:Dr Chen was the guy Ethan met via Bok..I didn't get to meet him. Chen is one of the most common last names in Taiwan...think of it as 'Smith' and you'll realize how ubiquitous it is :D
Yes, goggle Dr Chen, Taiwan, & stuff comes out for a Dr Chen that sells herbal remedies, not tea.

Jul 14th, '16, 20:58

by Frisbeehead » Jul 14th, '16, 20:58

victoria3 wrote:
Frisbeehead wrote:
CWarren wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:just a little public service announcement on behalf of Chen, for those invoices that have been paid, the packages are now being prepared, and will be sent out next monday!

~kz
Excellent, thanks! Can you tell me a little about Chen? Is this Jindi Chen, and or family of, who's farms 2,500 meters or above were razed?
oh no.. this is dongding chen... or you can call him frozen peak chen...
he's my "buying service" in taiwan whenever i want anything sourced.. from fruits to toys to.. anything under the sun!

i've written a little about him at :
kyarazen.com/traditional-dong-ding-oolong-the-kz-tea-experiment/
Chen and his teas seriously rock. Not only is he a pleasure to speak with, giving his time to share stories and photos of his country and his gardens but his tea is simply amazing. I've been drinking his teas most of the week and they are so good I actually find myself doing back to back sessions with new leaf which I rarely do. I normally move on to a new tea from a different vendor. Anyway my two cents, slightly off topic so my apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely, I've been chatting with him on Instagram since the first time I bought tea from him, and he always shares pictures, what tea he's drinking, etc. Super nice guy. And of course, his teas are wonderful. The insect bites dong ding has been my favorite so far, and I just ordered a bunch more of it to store away. My F1 hongni is pretty much dedicated to his teas at this point :mrgreen:

Aside from his traditional dong ding, his other teas are great too. He has a ruby 18 black tea that's very good, as well as a rolled black tea that he sent as a sample in my last order - it was delicious.

I'm sure lately he's gotten quite a bit of attention from Westerners due to Kyarazen's blog post and word of mouth, he definitely deserves the support. I wonder if this new market has boosted his sales. I hope he and his family are doing well from this new attention, they certainly deserve it! :D
OK great to have this cleared up because I was beginning to think 'Chen' had a very broad reach all over Taiwan. Floating Leaves also references a Farmer Chen in PingLin, Taiwan. Ethan and jayinhk also reference a Mr & Ms Chen....

Thank you for your interesting article Kyara Zen, nicely detailed and I appreciate this info. 'One of the biggest mistakes is to brew traditional dongding straight from the pack. Instead, reasonable amounts like 10-20 grams should be transferred into a canister of about 100-200ml volume, and the tea allowed to “awaken”. ' After reading it I am jazzed to try Xin Cheng Fang's Spring Traditional Dong Ding Oolong and to one day to try the bug bitten Summer crop as well.
Haha, yeah Chen is just a common family name. They are all different people/families. :P I thought the same thing briefly, but then the minor details showed that it was a different person than brother Chen from Kyarazen's post.

And yeah CWarren, I will keep an eye out for his summer teas. He said he won't (can't) do the insect bites this year due to climate and weather, and last year the only summer teas he had were his summer trad. dong ding and the insect bites I believe. He may change it up this year, though with the weather we'll see what happens.

Chen also collects Yixing pots, and he always shows off pictures of his factory 1 pots.

Jul 15th, '16, 21:17

by victoria3 » Jul 15th, '16, 21:17

You guys are too funny. So is Xin Cheng Fang-in article 'also known as' Chen hua yin-on PayPal, & Hau Ying Chen-on Instagram?
In Latin America & Spain the paternal surname precedes maternal, so maybe that's also going on here? + or something else... :D

Jul 15th, '16, 23:52

by Frisbeehead » Jul 15th, '16, 23:52

victoria3 wrote:You guys are too funny. So is Xin Cheng Fang-in article 'also known as' Chen hua yin-on PayPal, & Hau Ying Chen-on Instagram?
In Latin America & Spain the paternal surname precedes maternal, so maybe that's also going on here? + or something else... :D
No that's not what's going on, basically Chen is his family name (paternal). Hua Yin is a two-character (thus two-syllable) first name, something you'll see with some Chinese/Taiwanese names.

For example, my Chinese name is 穆泰康, or "Mu Tai Kang". Mu would be my surname, and Tai Kang (or TaiKang) is my first/given name. Xi Jinping (president of China) is another example - Xi Jin Ping

Edit2: Yeah 陳華胤 = Chen Hua Yin, full name

Jul 16th, '16, 00:03
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 16th, '16, 00:03

A lot of things in Chinese are done the other way around from English--family names come first, and addresses are backwards (country and town first). Makes a heck of a lot more sense to go left to right and top down in order of importance instead of ass backwards the western way.

As for three-character names...those are common in HK and Taiwan, but most Mainland Chinese only use two characters. When I taught elementary school here for a few years, new kids from China with two character names got laughed at hardcore. I didn't know why the class was laughing until one of the kids explained it to me.
Last edited by jayinhk on Jul 16th, '16, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 16th, '16, 00:18

by Frisbeehead » Jul 16th, '16, 00:18

My Chinese teacher told me that on the mainland, two-character names were like "the new hip thing". Maybe he just told me that to make me feel better about myself :cry:

I hope I don't get made fun of by elementary school kids when I'm teaching over there. Kids can be brutal dude.

Jul 16th, '16, 00:43
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 16th, '16, 00:43

Frisbeehead wrote:My Chinese teacher told me that on the mainland, two-character names were like "the new hip thing". Maybe he just told me that to make me feel better about myself :cry:

I hope I don't get made fun of by elementary school kids when I'm teaching over there. Kids can be brutal dude.
Are you ethnically Chinese? On the whole Mainland Chinese students are very disciplined. We visited a pretty classy school in Zhuhai once and the students were so well behaved we went home wondering what the hell was wrong with HK kids. Lol. HK kids are wild, but have the world's highest IQs.

I got to teach the gifted kids for a week at a time and they sometimes gave me answers and wrote me stories that made my jaw drop. They were a real pleasure to teach, once I stopped trying to correct their odd behavior! I loved working with them.

Jul 16th, '16, 01:03

by Frisbeehead » Jul 16th, '16, 01:03

jayinhk wrote:
Frisbeehead wrote:My Chinese teacher told me that on the mainland, two-character names were like "the new hip thing". Maybe he just told me that to make me feel better about myself :cry:

Are you ethnically Chinese? On the whole Mainland Chinese students are very disciplined. We visited a pretty classy school in Zhuhai once and the students were so well behaved we went home wondering what the hell was wrong with HK kids. Lol. HK kids are wild, but have the world's highest IQs.

I got to teach the gifted kids for a week at a time and they sometimes gave me answers and wrote me stories that made my jaw drop. They were a real pleasure to teach, once I stopped trying to correct their odd behavior! I loved working with them.
Nope not ethnically Chinese, that's just the name given to me by my teacher.

And the bit about the kids making fun of me was a joke, really :wink: I know that those kids are disciplined, especially from all I've heard from my teachers.

That sounds adorable!

Jul 16th, '16, 21:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 16th, '16, 21:58

Frisbeehead wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

Nope not ethnically Chinese, that's just the name given to me by my teacher.

And the bit about the kids making fun of me was a joke, really :wink: I know that those kids are disciplined, especially from all I've heard from my teachers.

That sounds adorable!
When are you headed over to China to teach? This Fall? I think you'll have a blast!

Jul 17th, '16, 08:30

by Frisbeehead » Jul 17th, '16, 08:30

I'll be studying abroad in Chengdu, China this Fall, leaving August 25. After I graduate, I'll be going over there to teach English for at least 2 years, during which time I'd like to cement my Chinese knowledge and achieve fluency in speaking, reading, and writing. I plan on going to grad school in the future (for history), probably sometime after teaching in China and learning the language fluently.

On a side note, I got my package from Chen yesterday. Trying to decide which tea packet I should open up first. :mrgreen:

Jul 17th, '16, 14:47

by Haddemall » Jul 17th, '16, 14:47

Living and eating in Chengdu, Sichuan............ENVIOUS.

Jul 18th, '16, 11:35

by kyarazen » Jul 18th, '16, 11:35

on behalf of chen again, most of the packages paid have been sent out today.

he just handed me a list of tracking numbers and i'll be forwarding the numbers to each of you personally soon!

Jul 18th, '16, 11:48

by daidokorocha » Jul 18th, '16, 11:48

Haddemall wrote:Living and eating in Chengdu, Sichuan............ENVIOUS.
Ooooh, me too, me too! Certainly, one of the top food destinations in the world. I also met many, many people from Sichuan who became good friends when I was living in Japan. My experience is limited, but the people seem very lovely.

Jul 18th, '16, 11:51
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 18th, '16, 11:51

Frisbeehead, once you get set up, I'm coming to visit. Food and exotic heicha :D

+ Post Reply