Apr 16th, '07, 14:59

Matcha Sets

by rhpot1991 » Apr 16th, '07, 14:59

I am in the market for a Matcha set and have been looking at various sets on the internet. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to get an entire set, but some of the accessories seem to be optional and I am unsure if I really need them (example: are the Natsume or whisk stand needed/beneficial). Another concern is that most prepackaged sets seem to be a bit weak on the description so I am not quite sure the quality of the items (example: how many strands does the whisk have).

-John

Apr 16th, '07, 16:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Apr 16th, '07, 16:31

All you need in a basic matcha set is a bowl and a whisk, but I highly recommend getting a matcha scoop and whisk holder. The scoop is fun to use (and cheap), and the whisk holder will help keep the whisk's shape and prolong its lifetime.

You only need a natsume if you are going to do the tea ceremony, but otherwise they do nothing except look pretty. They are generally not very airtight, so long-term storage of matcha in a natsume is actually harmful.

As for the number of tines on the whisk, I wouldn't worry if you're just starting out with matcha-- you really won't notice much of a difference. The number of tines seems to be very important once you get to the advanced level, but I don't know exactly why. I would assume that it has something to do with the amount of air worked into the tea, but it's just a guess.

Hope this helps!

Apr 16th, '07, 16:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 16th, '07, 16:45

Well, it really depends on what your goal is. If you just want to drink matcha, all you need is matcha and any kitchen whisk. I have done this more than once. But it just seems wrong... :roll:

But if you want to fully apprecaite the tea ceremony, aesthetics and presicion rule. Most matcha sets are adequate for beginning as long as it is a reputable vendor specializing in Japanese tea. In fact the cheaper whisks with fewer strands can last much longer than finer stranded ones with more strands.

Most people fall somewhere between a full ceremony and a kitchen whisk, they want to appreciate some of the beauty of the ceremony without going all the way.

I would spring for a beginner set, but make sure if it includes matcha that it is decent matcha!!!

That is my 2 yen worth.

Apr 16th, '07, 18:08

by Space Samurai » Apr 16th, '07, 18:08

I was looking at o-cha's website, and they have a build your own matcha set. Essentially you piece it together from what they have, and they you get 10-15% off.

+ Post Reply