Rinsing tea and multiple infusions

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 2nd, '07, 14:04
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 2nd, '07, 14:04

Eastree wrote:Some still call him Rage

Perhaps a recombinant effort? Ratalimusha?

Or right now, he's become FD >_>
Ah yes, Rage, true. I had gotten so used to Fatalitea, I almost forgot. :D

Dec 2nd, '07, 14:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 2nd, '07, 14:32

Blah blah blah way too many quotes blah blah blah...
You can quote me on that...

Dec 2nd, '07, 14:33

by Wesli » Dec 2nd, '07, 14:33

Chip wrote:
Blah blah blah way too many quotes blah blah blah...
You can quote me on that...

Will do, will do.

Dec 3rd, '07, 19:06

by evilive » Dec 3rd, '07, 19:06

Fukamushi Dynasty wrote:Much to learn young pateawan.
You'll be happy to know that since I've last posted on here, I've begun rinsing my leaves prior to infusing and (surprise, surprise), the results have been terrific. I did not know the taste would be significantly better, but hey, it is. Thanks for this invaluable tea tip :mrgreen:

Dec 12th, '07, 22:46

by joelbct » Dec 12th, '07, 22:46

Interesting, I didn't know anyone else actually did this? :)

I "rinse" black tea for 50 seconds, then brew for ~4 minutes. This I do mostly to reduce caffeine...

I never rinse green or white tea, but I do re-brew green and white a second time, adding a minute or so on the second take, but never a third round, by that time, they go to the compost-

And I never re-brew black tea....

Dec 13th, '07, 03:59

by scruffmcgruff » Dec 13th, '07, 03:59

Joel, before you ask, no I'm not looking for posts of yours to respond to. :)

I just thought I would point out that rinsing tea doesn't remove as much caffeine as you might think. The available evidence (which I can point you to, if you would like) suggests that the decaffeination-through-rinsing thing is just a common misconception. Something like 69% of caffeine is released only after a whopping 5 minutes, so 30-60s likely doesn't remove all that much.

Dec 13th, '07, 08:38

by Proinsias » Dec 13th, '07, 08:38

But if 69% is removed in five mins, not much more than the normal brewing time used by Joel, that means just 69% of the caffeine in the leaf is likely to make it to the brewers mouth at all. We should be looking at what percentage of the 69% is accounted for in the first 50s.

Personally I have noted a drop in caffeine when pre-steeping some black teas. I imagine some teas will be willing to give up their caffeine quicker than others. Say teabag black tea dust vs Tai Ping Hou Kui, giant leaf, little damage in processing and made with a lower temp.

If rinsing the black tea before bed doesn't keep you up and not rinsing does. Does it really matter what the figures say?

Dec 13th, '07, 13:16

by scruffmcgruff » Dec 13th, '07, 13:16

If rinsing the black tea before bed doesn't keep you up and not rinsing does. Does it really matter what the figures say?
This is a good point- no it doesn't matter. That said... Nigel from Teacraft has done some analysis of the caffeine loss over time over at rec.food.drink.tea, so you might head over there to see what he has written.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Dec 14th, '07, 23:03

by joelbct » Dec 14th, '07, 23:03

Scruff McGruff wrote:Joel, before you ask, no I'm not looking for posts of yours to respond to. :)
Lol, and before you ask, no, I guess I have nothing better to do on this particular friday night than post on a tea forum :) I have friends, really, I just needed some *me* time :)

I don't think it removes close to the 80-90% some sources claim, but the rinsing does seem to allow me to drink more tea... My guess is that 1 min rinse for avg whole leaf black tea might remove 30-40%, but maybe it's just placebo :)

Jan 8th, '08, 03:41

by heather1380 » Jan 8th, '08, 03:41

I have read that caffeine comes out of tea quickly- in about 45 seconds- but other compounds, like the health-benefitting stuff, do not, meaning that doing an infusion to get the caffeine out will not mean you compromise the health benefits of the tea. I know that green and white teas can be infused 3 times, but I don't know about black tea. I have had success doing an intitial brew with black tea leaves to get the caffeine out and they have still been good for a second brew. I personally do a full initial infusion (3-5 minutes) to make sure I get as much caffeine as I can out of there, but that's me. And this all only goes for loose leaves, not for tea bags. You can't re-brew tea bags. AND they offer more caffeine than loose leaves- yet another reason to brew leaves and not tea bags!

Jan 8th, '08, 10:09

by Angela Justice » Jan 8th, '08, 10:09

I would agree that black tea is rarely good for more than one infusion. However, high grades of Yunnan, such as Yunnan Gold, could probably take 2 or 3 infusions. This year's Adagio Yunnan Gold is fantastic.

+ Post Reply