May 5th, '08, 11:40

Glass Cups

by TimeforTea » May 5th, '08, 11:40

I'd like to get a pair of glass cups to enjoy the colors of the brewed liquid (like my new avatar!). I was considering getting the double-wall type, but after reading some negative reviews on amazon, I changed my mind. I'm looking for a simple design, no more than 8 ounces, and with or without a handle. I prefer the look of the cups without a handle, but was concerned they might be too hot to hold. Any comments, suggestions, and recommendations would be appreciated.

May 5th, '08, 13:43
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Glass Cups

by Victoria » May 5th, '08, 13:43

Teasweetie wrote:I'd like to get a pair of glass cups to enjoy the colors of the brewed liquid (like my new avatar!). I was considering getting the double-wall type, but after reading some negative reviews on amazon, I changed my mind. I'm looking for a simple design, no more than 8 ounces, and with or without a handle. I prefer the look of the cups without a handle, but was concerned they might be too hot to hold. Any comments, suggestions, and recommendations would be appreciated.
Yes, stop listening to negative reviews. I love my Bodum cups and have never broken one or had any problem. I pop them in the diswasher. Glass cups without handles that are not double walled will be hot. If they even exist. Sounds like a regular bar glass at that point. If you want them with handles, then the Adagio ones are nice too.

May 5th, '08, 14:27

by Trioxin » May 5th, '08, 14:27

We serve tea and coffee in glass Bodum cups in the restaurant I work in. You wouldn't believe the torture we've put these things through, and the still look good as new. They've survived the industrial dish washer, being torched after coming out of the cooler (creme brulee), and lord only knows what other abuse we've put these poor things through. I really can't see how these cups could get negative reviews.

May 5th, '08, 15:00

by Pentox » May 5th, '08, 15:00

The majority of negative reviews that I heard about the double walled bodums was due to handling during shipping. I heard quite a few people received their cups only to find a box of glass shards. I have a pair of them personally and haven't broken them. They're quite nice, but I do believe there is a certain degree of validity in that they may be mishandled on their way to you. Once you have them though I would say they would be just fine.

I have seen only a few glass single walled cups under 8 oz, but the ones that come to mind are much smaller than 8 oz, like 4 oz. Those are in store at lupicia. I think I have seen them on ebay as well.

May 5th, '08, 15:05

by omegapd » May 5th, '08, 15:05

I remember seeing a set of 2 without handles at the Republic of Tea website. Can't remember how big they were but the price was about 15 bucks for both.

EW

May 5th, '08, 15:45

by Chip » May 5th, '08, 15:45

Double walls are sooooo "hot" yet cool to the touch. It is actually a wierd sensation for me. For years I have used simple Japanese no handle porcelain ones that are pretty hot when filled, just about the liquid temp.

It is a strange sensation for me to hold a cool handleless glass cup and sip hot steamy liquid out of it. Until you do it, it is hard to envision.
Last edited by Chip on May 25th, '09, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, '08, 17:35

by Mary R » May 5th, '08, 17:35

I did love my Pavina cups, and they did hold up well...until I dropped them while handwashing. I had a 5 or 6 oz size, and the cup's exterior was just curved enough to become very, very slippery when wet. Larger sizes in the Pavina line have a less exaggerated curve and may not have as noticeable of a slip issue. Bodum's Assam line (which my local Target has) is also straighter sided...but not quite as pretty as Pavina.

The only reason why I didn't buy more Bodum glasses was because I found them freakishly light. Borosilicate glass is lighter than regular glass, and both layers of the Pavina are thinner than you'll find in anything but crystal (for the most part). It's durable, but they look like they should have more heft than what they do...so they felt disconcertingly fragile.

The weight issue may also a problem for some automatic dishwashers. A friend of mine found that her dishwasher was strong enough to substantially move the glasses. They were sent sailing if she left them in a track, and they could even be lifted off prongs. If they were sent careening into anything, they shattered. She bought four glasses and had broken them all within a month.

May 5th, '08, 18:11

by andy825 » May 5th, '08, 18:11

I've had bad luck with the bodum double-walled cups as well. As others have described, I bought some to have them arrive broken in the box. Returned those and broke one of the new ones while I was washing it for the first time. I just tapped the rim with something, and it went *hisssss* *crack* as air was sucked into the vacuum.
My husband used one of them at work for months before he broke it. They seem to be OK if all you do is drink out of them and rinse them out, but I haven't found them to be sturdy enough for life in my kitchen.
I'm very surprised to hear that they are surviving in a restaraunt kitchen.

May 5th, '08, 18:35

by Pentox » May 5th, '08, 18:35

I do agree about the delicate feel to them, although I have yet to break any of mine. I ended up getting mine from a local Cost Plus store because that way I knew they were not broken in transit.

May 5th, '08, 21:18

by TimeforTea » May 5th, '08, 21:18

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Besides the breakage issue, the other issues I read on amazon.com was that there is a small hole on the bottom of the glasses, and that liquid gets "trapped" between the double wall, making it impossible to clean or let the liquid escape. Has anyone else heard of this or had this happen?

May 5th, '08, 21:23

by Victoria » May 5th, '08, 21:23

No. Not a problem. The "hole" is sealed.
If you are worried about it, don't get them.
Try something white instead.

May 5th, '08, 21:35

by TimeforTea » May 5th, '08, 21:35

Victoria wrote:No. Not a problem. The "hole" is sealed.
If you are worried about it, don't get them.
Try something white instead.
I'm not worried. Just trying to be a diligent shopper by doing my research, as my husband reminds me to do. I wanted to hear from teachatters. :D

May 5th, '08, 21:57

by Chip » May 5th, '08, 21:57

If any liquid gets between the 2 layers of glass, there is a defect...possibly at the "blow hole."
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 5th, '08, 22:16

by Marky » May 5th, '08, 22:16

"Sounds like a regular bar glass at that point."

When I want a clear glass with no handle I use a scotch glass, they're about the right size for me and they're nice and sturdy. Also, I don't like not feeling the temperature of the liquid. I generally think that if it's too hot to hold, it's too hot to drink.

May 5th, '08, 22:32

by Victoria » May 5th, '08, 22:32

Marky wrote:"Sounds like a regular bar glass at that point."

When I want a clear glass with no handle I use a scotch glass, they're about the right size for me and they're nice and sturdy. Also, I don't like not feeling the temperature of the liquid. I generally think that if it's too hot to hold, it's too hot to drink.
That is a good idea, a scotch glass! I have some nice heavy ones, I might just try that. I love glass.

But then on the other hand white shows off the color of tea nicely too, just look at that lovely green tea in Salsero's photo in TeaDay. Of course I also have double walled white porcelain cups too. :D

+ Post Reply