Thursday is TeaDay, 6/12/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Which came first, the Tea Brewing Vessel or Tea?

Clearly the tea brewing vessel
8%
Are you kidding, tea of course
65%
It was a tie
24%
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

Jun 12th, '08, 18:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 12th, '08, 18:15

Katrina wrote:OK, OK. I'm FINALLY getting around to it. A peony for Sal. I chose the cup because Tenuki liked it when I put it on the Teaware post awhile back. And for Russian Soul, I chose the completely cliche Pai Mu Tan to go with the peony. Is everyone happy now?

I must apologize that it is slightly blurry, but all the other shots accentuated that one of the candles was absurdly crooked. (My camera had a fall at the beach and the viewer no longer works - It's now a mystery until I download the photos...New camera SOON!)

RE: the poll. I guess I thought it was asking for each of US which came first - not the philosophical - I guess I vote "tea" in either case.
Katrina, the question was stated for you to respond however you wanted and on whatever level you wanted. :D

Thanx for sharing the photo...a blend of New England and Zen...very nice.

Jun 12th, '08, 18:27

by Victoria » Jun 12th, '08, 18:27

TimeforTea wrote:Hey, whatever works! My grandma used to say that the reason her house plants all thrived so incredibly well, was because she talked to them! :lol:
Oh most definitely. And touching helps too.

Katrina, that is just gorgeous!
Last edited by Victoria on Jun 12th, '08, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 12th, '08, 18:29

by tenuki » Jun 12th, '08, 18:29

Katrina wrote:OA peony for Sal. I chose the cup because Tenuki liked it when I put it on the Teaware post awhile back. And for Russian Soul, I chose the completely cliche Pai Mu Tan to go with the peony. Is everyone happy now?

Happy. :)
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 12th, '08, 18:34

Tea First

by reey » Jun 12th, '08, 18:34

It couldn't be tea ware until that first tea leaf was brewed in it, intentionally or not, so the tea had to come first. That's my take on it, anyway.

Just finished a cup of white snowbud...very relaxing early evening tea.

Jun 12th, '08, 18:39

by auggy » Jun 12th, '08, 18:39

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote: Auggy has a lap top...I didn't even realize she had a computer? :lol:
What? you're not posting telepathically like the rest of us?
Well, apparently I don't have a laptop. It's not even turning on now.

I give up.

Jun 12th, '08, 18:41

by Salsero » Jun 12th, '08, 18:41

Katrina wrote: Is everyone happy now?
  • Happy.Image {Love the reflected peony!}

--edit--

What! Auggy's laptop is busted again!!!! Life is so unfaaaaaaaaaaair....Image

Jun 12th, '08, 18:45

by TimeforTea » Jun 12th, '08, 18:45

RussianSoul wrote:
TimeforTea wrote:Hey, whatever works! My grandma used to say that the reason her house plants all thrived so incredibly well, was because she talked to them! :lol:
Actually your grandma was right about it. I have grown bonsai trees for years and took classes with a bonsai master. He continuously encouraged us to talk to our trees. After some time we got over our western self-importance and more into Zen space he was talking about, and started talking to the plants. I can attest it works.

At least two beneficial things are happening: while talking you are exhale CO2 and plants like that, also you spend time with your plant and can't help but notice what's is happening with it, what it needs, your awareness increases. A plant is a alive and certainly responds to care and time given to it.

Disclaimer: If I sound crazy, it's because I am.
See?! :lol: My grandmother had such a green thumb. She would cut pieces of a plant, put it in a glass of water, watch it start to thrive into a new plant, and then give it away. She had beautiful spider plants hanging from her ceiling, and other plants that just grew beautifully! She certainly did take good care of her plants...as well as talking to them. :wink:
Last edited by TimeforTea on Jun 13th, '08, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 12th, '08, 18:45

Re: Tea First

by Chip » Jun 12th, '08, 18:45

reey wrote:It couldn't be tea ware until that first tea leaf was brewed in it, intentionally or not, so the tea had to come first. That's my take on it, anyway.

Just finished a cup of white snowbud...very relaxing early evening tea.
Welcome reey! I hope you stick around for many cups with us. :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 12th, '08, 18:56

by Pentox » Jun 12th, '08, 18:56

auggy wrote: Well, apparently I don't have a laptop. It's not even turning on now.

I give up.
Are you freaking serious? That's ridiculous I tell you! RIDICULOUS! The only thing worse than that is my laptop, aka stupid pile of crap macbook. Yeah if you're thinking of going mac. Think again. Just yell at dell to send you a new one :P

Jun 12th, '08, 19:04

by auggy » Jun 12th, '08, 19:04

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote: Well, apparently I don't have a laptop. It's not even turning on now.

I give up.
Are you freaking serious? That's ridiculous I tell you! RIDICULOUS! The only thing worse than that is my laptop, aka stupid pile of crap macbook. Yeah if you're thinking of going mac. Think again. Just yell at dell to send you a new one :P
Okay, I can get it to turn on IF I do the following:

Remove the battery and unplug from the wall. Unscrew the screw underneath the battery that connects the power board. Wait a few seconds. Replace the screw, making sure it is tight. Turn over and open the computer (if I miss this step, no display will show up on the screen). Plug into the adapter. Computer will start a test and say that there is an error with the power board - it is not installed. Cancel out of the test, tell the computer to boot anyway. Replace the battery. Now the computer works.

I would bet cash - even tea - that this is the only reason the computer booted up before - each time the tech booted it, it performed the test before hand - he never pressed the power button so he had no idea that the power button didn't freakin' work.

I thought about going mac for about 2 minutes until I realized that I couldn't figure out how to maximize the browser screen. My iPod is as "mac" as I get now.... unless cheese is included.

Going to go make some baozhong in my new (but seasoned) yixing.

And I apologize that that was the first tea related thing I've posted since 9am. :oops:

Jun 12th, '08, 19:11

by Chip » Jun 12th, '08, 19:11

auggy wrote: Okay, I can get it to turn on IF I do the following:

Remove the battery and unplug from the wall. Unscrew the screw underneath the battery that connects the power board. Wait a few seconds. Replace the screw, making sure it is tight. Turn over and open the computer (if I miss this step, no display will show up on the screen). Plug into the adapter. Computer will start a test and say that there is an error with the power board - it is not installed. Cancel out of the test, tell the computer to boot anyway. Replace the battery. Now the computer works.

I would bet cash - even tea - that this is the only reason the computer booted up before - each time the tech booted it, it performed the test before hand - he never pressed the power button so he had no idea that the power button didn't freakin' work.

I thought about going mac for about 2 minutes until I realized that I couldn't figure out how to maximize the browser screen. My iPod is as "mac" as I get now.... unless cheese is included.

And I apologize that that was the first tea related thing I've posted since 9am. :oops:
Ummmmmmm...

I hope you enjoy your Bao Zhong!!!

Before you posted, I was going to recommend a cup of tea...but it seemed so...trite after I typed it, that I deleted it. Glad you went the trite route anyway. :D

And might I suggest talking to a plant...or a cat as well. :wink:

Jun 12th, '08, 19:18

by Geekgirl » Jun 12th, '08, 19:18

Okay, after downing a glass and a half of the Keemun iced, I have now decided I agree with midwifey. Bleh. Poured out. New batch: Jasmine Pearl, iced with a touch of honey. mmmmm... aaaaahhhh...

As for the tea vs. teaware, no idea about the philosophical or historical implications. That line of thought simply boggles the mind. For myself personally, I tend to dive into something new for the aesthetic value first, followed closely by more practical or healthful reasons. Thus, I'm going to say: Teaware.

My first serious foray into the world of tea as an adult came with receiving a lovely dragon tetsubin for my birthday. (One of my very first birthday presents I remember. Another LONG story, best shared eye to eye over a cuppa.) I have to admit I owned good teaware well before I knew about good tea, being satisfied with Tazo from $tarbuck$.

All of those "decorative" acquisitions paid off in the long run, as most are in use, with only a couple of exceptions which turned out to be very impractical.

If you skipped all of that (as maybe you should) my vote: teaware.
Last edited by Geekgirl on Jun 12th, '08, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 12th, '08, 19:20

by Pentox » Jun 12th, '08, 19:20

auggy wrote: Okay, I can get it to turn on IF I do the following:

Sounds like there's something bad about the connection with the power board to the rest of the system. Or the power board itself is just plain wonky. I really do hate the dell tech support system. The way they farm out the calls to techs is just plain annoying since the techs themselves only have very basic training and aren't even direct employees of dell from what I know. Most of the time I just fix it myself.

Jun 12th, '08, 19:30

by Chip » Jun 12th, '08, 19:30

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Okay, after downing a glass and a half of the Keemun iced, I have now decided I agree with midwifey. Bleh. Poured out. New batch: Jasmine Pearl, iced with a touch of honey. mmmmm... aaaaahhhh...

As for the tea vs. teaware, no idea about the philosophical or historical implications. That line of thought simply boggles the mind. For myself personally, I tend to dive into something new for the aesthetic value first, followed closely by more practical or healthful reasons. Thus, I'm going to say: Teaware.

My first serious foray into the world of tea as an adult came with receiving a lovely dragon tetsubin for my birthday. (One of my very first birthday presents I remember. Another LONG story, best shared eye to eye over a cuppa.)

my vote: teaware.
Shhhuweeeet glass of iced tea.

I need to see a picture of the dragon tetsubin, please!!!??? :D If your fleeting memory allows you to remember this request. :shock:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 12th, '08, 19:55

by auggy » Jun 12th, '08, 19:55

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
LOVEly photo - you really do some awesome pics (but the ones of your tea-eating puppy is my favorite!)
Pentox wrote: Sounds like there's something bad about the connection with the power board to the rest of the system. Or the power board itself is just plain wonky. I really do hate the dell tech support system. The way they farm out the calls to techs is just plain annoying since the techs themselves only have very basic training and aren't even direct employees of dell from what I know. Most of the time I just fix it myself.
Well, figured out the whole screw thing is as close as I get to being able to do it myself. This will tide me over until the Dell-man comes out again. Though hopefully someone that looks less confused that today's did.
Chip wrote:Ummmmmmm...

I hope you enjoy your Bao Zhong!!!

Before you posted, I was going to recommend a cup of tea...but it seemed so...trite after I typed it, that I deleted it. Glad you went the trite route anyway. :D

And might I suggest talking to a plant...or a cat as well. :wink:
The bao zhong was REALLY good. Going to go to Costco but will be making more when I get back. And don't worry about trite or not. Tea, while it can't cure all ills, can at the very least make you forget them for a bit!