do you filter your water ?

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

do you filter your water ?

Postby insanitylater » Jun 19th, '08, 01:38

i've been filtering using brita pitchers but apparently they aren't that good
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/W ... Matrix.cfm

aquasana looks promising but i'm also curious about water distillers. if i got the latter i would probably look into something to re add the good minerals back into it
insanitylater

Postby scruffmcgruff » Jun 19th, '08, 01:43

Brita works fine, is likely far cheaper than a distiller, and you don't have to worry about adding minerals. As usual, KISS (keep it simple, stupid!). :)
scruffmcgruff

Postby Geekgirl » Jun 19th, '08, 02:02

Sometimes, sometimes not. Can't tell a significant difference around here. Yay for Portland water!
Geekgirl

Postby tenuki » Jun 19th, '08, 02:41

Seattle tap water -> britta -> boil with bamboo charcoal in a ceramic stovetop kettle.
tenuki

Postby olivierco » Jun 19th, '08, 06:41

I don't filter water. I use most of the time tap water. For cold brewing and some delicate teas mineral water.
olivierco

Postby Sydney » Jun 19th, '08, 07:28

At home it goes through the Brita filter. At the office, it comes from a Kentwood (spring water) tank. At my bud's place, it goes through one of those "mounted on tap" filter things. And I've also used the hot water (presumably unfiltered) that runs hot through the break room coffee maker.

I haven't noticed a meaningful difference between any of 'em.
Sydney

Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Postby Mary R » Jun 19th, '08, 15:52

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Sometimes, sometimes not. Can't tell a significant difference around here. Yay for Portland water!

I desperately hope Eugene water has these same mystical properties.
Mary R

Postby auggy » Jun 19th, '08, 16:01

I use a pur water filter but less for water taste and more for keeping the zoji a little cleaner longer. Our water at home isn't awful. At work, though, I have to use bottled because yuck! Anything less than ice cold there taste horrid.
auggy

Postby Mary R » Jun 19th, '08, 16:10

Do you notice a significant difference in the Zoji cleaning when you use the Pur filtered water? I thought that Pur/Britas filters didn't do much in that line as they are primarily activated carbon filters and activated carbon doesn't "grab" mitigate the major things that cause scale. They're primarily activated carbon filters, and I thought that those didn't grab calcium or magnesium cations.
Mary R

Postby auggy » Jun 19th, '08, 16:40

Mary R wrote:Do you notice a significant difference in the Zoji cleaning when you use the Pur filtered water? I thought that Pur/Britas filters didn't do much in that line as they are primarily activated carbon filters and activated carbon doesn't "grab" mitigate the major things that cause scale. They're primarily activated carbon filters, and I thought that those didn't grab calcium or magnesium cations.

I don't know if it should make a difference, but it seems to. We had to get a filter because we kept getting notices from the city that the water was too high in something or other (I don't remember what) and they suggested filtering it or boiling it before drinking. Fun, huh? Anyway, when I started to use the filter water, it took a bit longer to show the scale in the Zo (nothing phenomenal, but I could tell a difference - it gave me about 2 more weeks before a big descaling was needed) and now I've started using the filter and rinsing it out every night and that's made a big difference to what it was before (though I've only been doing that since my last descaling a couple of weeks ago, but by this time with no filtered water and no rinsing, I'd be planning to descale over the weekend. Now I figure I have another two weeks, maybe more depending on how it goes).

The Zo makes me realize how truly nasty our water is even though it doesn't seem to taste it. But then, if I'm not drinking bottled water, I get it from the fridge and that's filtered, too.
auggy

Postby Pentox » Jun 19th, '08, 16:44

I believe it was Lu Yu who said that water from a mountain stream was best. But since I don't have one of those, I just use tap. I used to use a Britta, but I got lazy and stopped buying filters.
Pentox

Postby tenuki » Jun 19th, '08, 16:46

Pentox wrote:I believe it was Lu Yu who said that water from a mountain stream was best. But since I don't have one of those, I just use tap. I used to use a Britta, but I got lazy and stopped buying filters.

the middle of a mountain stream, very important distinction. ;)
tenuki

Postby Sydney » Jun 19th, '08, 16:47

Pentox wrote:I believe it was Lu Yu who said that water from a mountain stream was best. But since I don't have one of those, I just use tap. I used to use a Britta, but I got lazy and stopped buying filters.

Too lazy to shop????? :shock:
Sydney

Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Postby Pentox » Jun 19th, '08, 16:50

El Padre wrote:

Too lazy to shop????? :shock:

Nah, shopping wasn't the issue. It was more keeping the pitcher filled. At times my laziness knows no bounds, but at other times I will take incredible care and go to extreme detail for no valid reason.
Pentox

Re: do you filter your water ?

Postby tenuki » Jun 19th, '08, 16:50

insanitylater wrote:i've been filtering using brita pitchers but apparently they aren't that good
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/W ... Matrix.cfm

aquasana looks promising but i'm also curious about water distillers. if i got the latter i would probably look into something to re add the good minerals back into it

That website is sponsored by the makers of Aquasana, but you have to dig down to find that fact. For that reason alone I'm not buying one, a quality product should not have to resort to that sort of deception. Multi-pure seems like a better alternative, but to be fair other sources also rate Aquasana highly for the price.
tenuki

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions