FRIDAY TeaDay 7/18/08 Has your brewing changed?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Brewing question revisited. How do you brew? Has it changed since the same time last year?

My brewing methods have not changed
22%
My brewing methods have changed
45%
I am a newbie of less than one year, but since I started, yes, my methods have changed
24%
I am a newbie of less than one year, but my methods have not changed
6%
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

Jul 18th, '08, 14:21

by chamekke » Jul 18th, '08, 14:21

Victoria wrote:We have those Golden Marmots here in CA in the higher elevations.
Marmots are awesome.

Meet the Vancouver Island Marmot, Canada's most endangered animal and very possibly its cutest. There are just over 100 marmots living today, many of them in breeding programs in captivity:

Image Image Image

Jul 18th, '08, 14:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 18th, '08, 14:27

Victoria wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:

I think that little green is plotting something. :shock: :lol:
Yes definitely she is in cahoots with Chip, I just know it!!
I should have known!
That's me in the burgundy looking pleafully at the camera with my best "I'm not drinking this Kool-aid" expression.
Hehe! Try it! you'll like it! :shock: :lol:

Jul 18th, '08, 15:24

by auggy » Jul 18th, '08, 15:24

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote:
Chip wrote:All this Marmite talk...I feel like I awoke today in a Star Trek episode. I have never heard of it, yet I feel like I am the only one. Maybe this is one of the alternate universe episodes. :lol:
Chip, you are not alone! I haven't heard of it either and every time I read it, I think "marmot".
Yeah, really don't want to put that on toast.
Yeah, i think it would be better in a sandwich roll.
You are just cracking me up today, Pentox. :lol:

Okay, chamekke, those marmot pictures are adorable. I love the little white/gray muzzle. Now I want one. Think they get along with cats? :wink:

Jul 18th, '08, 15:51

by olivierco » Jul 18th, '08, 15:51

Rooibos to end the day

Only three teas today. :?

Jul 18th, '08, 16:18

by Beanbean » Jul 18th, '08, 16:18

If y'all ate Vegemite you wouldn't confuse it with an adorable furry rodent. :P

Jul 18th, '08, 16:28

by Chip » Jul 18th, '08, 16:28

chamekke wrote:
Chip wrote:All this Marmite talk...I feel like I awoke today in a Star Trek episode. I have never heard of it, yet I feel like I am the only one. Maybe this is one of the alternate universe episodes. :lol:
Good guess, Chip. There's a cutaway shot in "Mirror Mirror" which has had the fans buzzing for years:

"It appears to be an object of worship from Bizarro Vulcan, Captain!"
I must have missed that in the many times I saw that episode. I must pay more attention to the subliminal advertising on TV. :lol:

"Yeast Extract"...hmmm, I have visions of this stuff invading kitchen cabinets and my TeaFridge...like some kind of a tribble...and we all know what kind of trouble tribbles can be! :wink:
Last edited by Chip on Jul 18th, '08, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 18th, '08, 16:34

by Chip » Jul 18th, '08, 16:34

Victoria wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image

I think that little green is plotting something. :shock: :lol:
Yes definitely she is in cahoots with Chip, I just know it!!

That's me in the burgundy looking pleafully at the camera with my best "I'm not drinking this Kool-aid" expression.

We have those Golden Marmots here in CA in the higher elevations.
I never heard of Marmite either.
I am drinking a sample of Iron Goddess King, which is OUTSTANDING. One of the very best TKY I have ever had. The name strikes me as odd though. :lol:

And thank goodness I am not the only person who never heard of Marmite.

Jul 18th, '08, 17:26

by chamekke » Jul 18th, '08, 17:26

Chip wrote:"Yeast Extract"...hmmm, I have visions of this stuff invading kitchen cabinets and my TeaFridge...like some kind of a tribble...and we all know what kind of trouble tribbles can be! :wink:
Yes, but if you could make tea from tribbles, there would be no trouble at all because you'd have an endless supply! And I'm sure it would be very calming to drink, too... even better than valerian.

Tribble tea would probably have almost unbearably hairy leaves, tho' :o

By the way, Chip, have you read Shaenon K. Garrity's rendition of The Trouble with Tribbles by Edward Gorey?

http://shaenon.livejournal.com/48834.html
(scroll down a bit - although the yellowed clipping is worth a read, too)

Jul 18th, '08, 18:02

by Chip » Jul 18th, '08, 18:02

Nope, never saw that before, Chamekke....I'm just a country doctor...

Contemplating my next tea, but a nap sounds seriously even better right now.

Instead, I will do a bike ride. It is 91* with a "feel like temp of 95*"
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 18th, '08, 18:06

by Chip » Jul 18th, '08, 18:06

CynTEAa wrote:Was going to say the Ovomaltine looked like an egg concoction and there's the Wiki to confirm. Interesting...

Actually, my brewing methods have changed a bit since last year. Doing much, much more gong fu and the addition of a kyusu to my teaware family has enhanced my sencha, gyokuro, shincha moments. :)
OHHHH...did you get the Kikumaru??
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 18th, '08, 18:18

by CynTEAa » Jul 18th, '08, 18:18

Chip wrote:OHHHH...did you get the Kikumaru??
No, but I reallllllly should have. While I'm happy with the one I did get it just looked much more red online and when it came is more of a burnt orange. Functionality is pretty good though, and I guess that is most important. :roll:

You know I love that Kikumaru. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.... :x -- That is what I get for going for the 'flashy' one. I should do something good so I have an excuse to treat myself..heh heh.

Started today with Yunnan Gold, then a restorative bottle of Oolong Anteadote post treadmill .... then a couple of gong fu'd infusions of a nice Dong Ding.

My TeaDay was 75% oolong! And 100% yummy!

Jul 18th, '08, 19:26

by henley » Jul 18th, '08, 19:26

More White Peach iced tea w/dinner tonight. We could get hooked on this stuff! Plan on resteeping the leaves tonight & trying CK's idea of adding a cinnamon stick to it. Sounds yummy!

Geekgirl, you may have to sneak one of those poppets in w/my tea! :wink:

Jul 18th, '08, 21:05

by Chip » Jul 18th, '08, 21:05

CynTEAa wrote:
Chip wrote:OHHHH...did you get the Kikumaru??
No, but I reallllllly should have. While I'm happy with the one I did get it just looked much more red online and when it came is more of a burnt orange. Functionality is pretty good though, and I guess that is most important. :roll:

You know I love that Kikumaru. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.... :x -- That is what I get for going for the 'flashy' one. I should do something good so I have an excuse to treat myself..heh heh.

Started today with Yunnan Gold, then a restorative bottle of Oolong Anteadote post treadmill .... then a couple of gong fu'd infusions of a nice Dong Ding.

My TeaDay was 75% oolong! And 100% yummy!
Speaking of which, Hatsumi a la O-Cha in my cup currently.

It is nice having a whitish kyusu...I like it a lot.

You can always add one later. I had a standard reddish orange tokoname for a few years before I had a nicer one. I really used that one a lot.

You clearly need to add some sencha to that oolongonian diet!

Jul 18th, '08, 21:28

marmite

by orguz » Jul 18th, '08, 21:28

Marmite is very British along with deep fried MARS bar in batter at the local chippy aka french fries outlet. Marmite is a staple spread for toast in England. It's making a come back in the U.S :P along with the tea craze as of late, not seen ever since the Boston Tea Party incident :twisted:

Jul 18th, '08, 21:37

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 18th, '08, 21:37

My brewing style has definitely changed in the past year. A year ago, I was drinking grocery store tea bags or brewing loose peppermint in a teaball. Now, I have a large collection of loose teas that are brewed in either an infuser basket, a kyusu, a gaiwan, or just thrown into a tea pot to be strained when the tea is finished steeping.

Today was a fun tea day. To combat the high heat and humidity, I experimented with some ice-brewed green tea. I used two scoops of karigane in my kyusu, filled it with ice cubes, and let the ice melt. It was tasty, even though it did not amount to much cold tea. I also got to try my Shui Xian wuyi from Hou De today, which was excellent. I lost count of how many steeps I got out of it. Now, I have some cold Organic Monk's Blend.