Wednesday 7/23/08 New absolute favorite tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

This past year, have you discovered a new absolute favorite tea...whether it is a class, type, or even a specific selection?

Yes, I have a new favorite
41%
No I do not have a new favorite
35%
I am a newbie with a recent new favorite
17%
I am a newbie w/o a recent new favorite.
No votes
Other
7%

Total votes: 46

Jul 23rd, '08, 11:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '08, 11:06

Sarah, I hope your tea hiatus is over soon!

Adagio Golden Monkey to start the day...

And speaking of my Fave, Yutaka Midori is currently in my cup and singing.

Mt Fuji is replaced as my avatar in honor of the best stage of this year's Tour De France. 3 major mountain climbs finishing with the magical climb up L'Alp d' Huez. If you get VS on the boob tube, check it out.

Jul 23rd, '08, 11:19

by chamekke » Jul 23rd, '08, 11:19

My new fave is gyokuro :P

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 23rd, '08, 11:39

by augie » Jul 23rd, '08, 11:39

Carnelian wrote:Yes I have a new favorite, over this past year I have drifted away from blacks to oolongs
I was looking for a word to describe what has happened with me. Carnelian said it perfectly . . . "drifted". I have drifted away from sheng Pu Ehr. Used to love it, now I only drink cooked. I also go through phases. Right now I am drifting away from green tea.

Right now I am finishing off some dan cong I got from pu ehr shop with my order of samples a few months ago.

Jul 23rd, '08, 12:08

by Pentox » Jul 23rd, '08, 12:08

auggy wrote:I voted other simply because depending on the day, I could answer I'm a newbie and yes, I have a new fav (oolongs) and newbie with no new fav (green was my fav before). And I'm too tired to get more specific than overall tea type, so you'll have to live with that.

Birthday tea this morning. Thankfully, no one is at the office today. Just me. So I'm going to do some bills (which will take maybe 45 minutes or so) and then hang out and read, then leave early to take kitty to the vet. Because accounting stuff is all I have to do today, but with an empty office, at least I don't have to look busy.

Hmm, maybe I could swing a nap....
*shakes fist at Auggy* And you complain about such a job??

Jul 23rd, '08, 12:16

by Jack_teachat » Jul 23rd, '08, 12:16

Since my serious tea drinking began it has all been about the Japanese greens for me. In terms of sencha my favourites are probably from the fukamushi variety, although I have very much enjoyed the Kirameki and Miyabi shinchas so far this year from O-cha. Probably my favourite tea I have had the pleasure of drinking so far however is the Gyokuro Kame Giru-shi (also from O-cha) and I still have some left! :D

Chip, is that still the shincha version of the YM you're drinking or the ordinary sencha? If it's the sencha, how does it compare to the shincha?

Fukamushi Shincha Supreme in my pot.

Have a great day everyone!

Jack :D

Jul 23rd, '08, 12:28

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '08, 12:28

Jack_teachat wrote: Chip, is that still the shincha version of the YM you're drinking or the ordinary sencha? If it's the sencha, how does it compare to the shincha?

Fukamushi Shincha Supreme in my pot.

Have a great day everyone!

Jack :D
It is indeed O-Cha'a Shincha version of Yutaka Midori. I expect the non shincha version to be stellar as well. 5th steep currently.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 23rd, '08, 12:44

by auggy » Jul 23rd, '08, 12:44

Chip wrote:Mt Fuji is replaced as my avatar in honor of the best stage of this year's Tour De France. 3 major mountain climbs finishing with the magical climb up L'Alp d' Huez. If you get VS on the boob tube, check it out.
Hmm, I get VS, but I might have to pass on that. It makes me tired to just think about it. Plus, since it is no longer hockey season, the tv only comes on for such stellar entertainment as So You Think You Can Dance, The Middleman and Burn Notice. Okay, so Burn Notice really is a good show. The other ones.... not so much. Oddly enough, I do end up watching a lot of bull riding on VS during hockey season. For some reason PBA is always on after weekend hockey games and nothing else is ever on so background noise ends up being bull riding.

And now that I've confessed all (okay, some) of my tv-sins....
Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote:Thankfully, no one is at the office today. Just me. So I'm going to do some bills (which will take maybe 45 minutes or so) and then hang out and read, then leave early to take kitty to the vet. Because accounting stuff is all I have to do today, but with an empty office, at least I don't have to look busy.

Hmm, maybe I could swing a nap....
*shakes fist at Auggy* And you complain about such a job??
Uhm, yes? Seriously, getting paid to alternately read and have the boss-man rearrange how I put things on a display table - not all that it is cracked up to be. And it's pretty rough on the wallet - I spend much time shopping online because hey, at least I look busy then!

Jul 23rd, '08, 13:00

by henley » Jul 23rd, '08, 13:00

Riene wrote: GeekGirl, I covet that little glass teapot!
Check out this from Adagio. I received one as a gift & have enjoyed it very much. :wink:

Enjoying Hatsumi w/lunch of fruit, cheese & crackers.

Am hoping my order of small foil packets & tea tins arrives soon as the Oolong Box got here today! Oh my!!! Y'all won't believe this thing when you see it. :shock: I may never have to buy tea again!

Jul 23rd, '08, 13:02

by CynTEAa » Jul 23rd, '08, 13:02

It's so hard to say what is my favorite. It almost seems to depend on time of day, mood, weather, moon phase...etc.

In the past year, I have found a couple of new loves. Two noteworthy ones are the Nepal FF and a glorious Wenshan Baozhong received as a gift. BUT I have not wavered even slightly from my morning need for Golden Yunnan.

Jul 23rd, '08, 14:05

by omegapd » Jul 23rd, '08, 14:05

Finishing up my tea day with Special Tea's China Yunnan Gold Competition Grade in my favorite Yixing. This tea has been a real surprise for me. Too bad it's pretty expensive. Oh well, special occasion tea :wink:

EW

Jul 23rd, '08, 14:23

by Riene » Jul 23rd, '08, 14:23

henley wrote:
Riene wrote: GeekGirl, I covet that little glass teapot!
Check out this from Adagio. I received one as a gift & have enjoyed it very much. :wink:

Enjoying Hatsumi w/lunch of fruit, cheese & crackers.

Am hoping my order of small foil packets & tea tins arrives soon as the Oolong Box got here today! Oh my!!! Y'all won't believe this thing when you see it. :shock: I may never have to buy tea again!

Ooooo....*eyes credit card*
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 23rd, '08, 14:38

by Selaphiel » Jul 23rd, '08, 14:38

Today I had some Single Bush Feng Huang Milan Dancong AAA and Gan De Tie Guan Yin. Finally got tea in the mail today, had nothing where I`m currently on vacation :p

Jul 23rd, '08, 15:16

by olivierco » Jul 23rd, '08, 15:16

Darjeeling Risheehat SFTGFOP1 just after dinner.

Jul 23rd, '08, 15:17

by Riene » Jul 23rd, '08, 15:17

Anyone know anything about Archer Farms tea? It's a Target brand. They do come in a variety of leaves--Dragonwell, Golden Monkey, etc. However, it's a store brand. I'm thinking it might be an inexpensive way to try new varieties of tea--assuming the quality is any good, and assuming that's actually what's in the bags.

Opinions or experiences, anyone?

http://www.teaviews.com/category/tea-br ... her-farms/

http://teaontap.blogspot.com/2007/12/go ... farms.html
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 23rd, '08, 15:36

by Victoria » Jul 23rd, '08, 15:36

In my cup this morning:
Castleton Muscatel Darjeeling.