Wednesday 7/23/08 New absolute favorite tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

This past year, have you discovered a new absolute favorite tea...whether it is a class, type, or even a specific selection?

Yes, I have a new favorite
41%
No I do not have a new favorite
35%
I am a newbie with a recent new favorite
17%
I am a newbie w/o a recent new favorite.
No votes
Other
7%

Total votes: 46

Jul 23rd, '08, 15:39

by Tadpole » Jul 23rd, '08, 15:39

No new favorite so far. If I had to get stuck drinking only one type of tea for the rest of my life (uh...hope not!) would still be high mountain Formosa oolong. As far as mountain goes, it is a tie between San Ling Xi and LiSan.

That being said, I seem to have been drinking Wenshan Baozhong the most for the past few months.

No today today yet. Want to go home and leisurely enjoy something gongfu style later.

I DID drink a cup of coffee with tons of hazelnut creamer this morning. *covers head, runs* Couldn't resist the yummy smell from the break room. And I'm not, I reapeat - NOT a coffee drinker! Now I am all jittery and lightheaded in a not-so-good way. I totally brought it down upon myself.

Jul 23rd, '08, 17:49

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 23rd, '08, 17:49

There are two teas that I have tried in the past year that are currently tied for my favorite tea: O-cha's Fukamushi Sencha Supreme and Hou De's 90s Aged Nan Tou. Before I discovered TeaChat, my favorite tea was loose leaf peppermint tisane so I think I have made a huge change in my favorite teas.

This morning, I had Organic Monk's Blend, which is a favorite black tea, though not quite on par with the other two teas mentioned above. Now, I am enjoying the Aged Nan Tou because the poll made me think about how awesome it is.

Jul 23rd, '08, 17:56

by Michael_C » Jul 23rd, '08, 17:56

'Favorite' implies to the exclusion to all else. So again, other. Truly, why are so many polls false dilemmas or radical antipodes?

Jul 23rd, '08, 18:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 23rd, '08, 18:32

Michael_C wrote:'Favorite' implies to the exclusion to all else. So again, other. Truly, why are so many polls false dilemmas or radical antipodes?
I think you have pollaphobia - a fear of polls.

In my cup this afternoon some more of my Long Juan Oolong.
Delightful stuff!

Jul 23rd, '08, 18:33

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '08, 18:33

Asamushi cha...SST...shincha sencha traditional...soundiong like a broken record lately as I am trying to empty a few bags before I open a new one or 2.

This is very good and one session left.

Time for one more tea.....
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 23rd, '08, 19:25

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 23rd, '08, 19:25

Michael_C wrote:'Favorite' implies to the exclusion to all else. So again, other. Truly, why are so many polls false dilemmas or radical antipodes?
Chill out, it's a frackin' tea poll.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 23rd, '08, 20:14

by chamekke » Jul 23rd, '08, 20:14

Because the poll function on TeaChat only permits each user to select a single option per poll.

I wish we could do open-minded tickboxes on occasion, rather than close-minded radio buttons, but that's not how this thang is built.

P.S. Edited for tyspo.
P.P.S. Oh darn.
Last edited by chamekke on Jul 23rd, '08, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 23rd, '08, 20:35

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '08, 20:35

...and now for something completely different...TEA.

Now...is this actually tea? Heirloom TeaFlowers. It kinda defies classification. It is just the dried tea flowers of old tea trees. It is NOT floral...more of a sweet caramel. Vey unique and supposedly low caffiene. It holds up well as I have had these for a long time.

Added benefit of being FTC and organic.

Anyway...tastes good...and takes me into the night fairly often. One session left. I keep wondering why there is seemingly no interest in them.

Heirloom Tea Flowers

Jul 23rd, '08, 20:52

by Victoria » Jul 23rd, '08, 20:52

Chip wrote:...and now for something completely different...TEA.

Now...is this actually tea? Heirloom TeaFlowers. It kinda defies classification. It is just the dried tea flowers of old tea trees. It is NOT floral...more of a sweet caramel. Vey unique and supposedly low caffiene. It holds up well as I have had these for a long time.

Added benefit of being FTC and organic.

Anyway...tastes good...and takes me into the night fairly often. One session left. I keep wondering why there is seemingly no interest in them.

Heirloom Tea Flowers
I love them for evening with the lower caffiene and the smooth mellow taste.
A favorite for late night when I'm craving tea.

Jul 23rd, '08, 22:32

by kymidwife » Jul 23rd, '08, 22:32

Chip wrote:Sarah, I hope your tea hiatus is over soon!
I feel like I'm in a 12-step program. I fell off the wagon tonight. :oops:

OK, I know I only made it 48 hours without tea, but the temptation was just too great. I got 2 yixing pots in the mail PLUS 2 orders of tea, one from New Mexico Tea Co. and one from SpecialTeas.

My weird symptoms were not totally gone today but dramatically reduced, so as a pure medical experiement, I had alittle tea tonight... but NO artificial sweetener. We'll see what happens.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 23rd, '08, 22:41

by chamekke » Jul 23rd, '08, 22:41

kymidwife wrote:My weird symptoms were not totally gone today but dramatically reduced, so as a pure medical experiement, I had alittle tea tonight... but NO artificial sweetener. We'll see what happens.
Sarah, "dramatically reduced" sounds like pretty good news :) I hope that those symptoms quickly dwindle and vanish - and that you can continue to enjoy tea!

Jul 23rd, '08, 22:52

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '08, 22:52

...second that...the tea industry needs you. 8)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 23rd, '08, 22:57

by kymidwife » Jul 23rd, '08, 22:57

chamekke wrote:Sarah, "dramatically reduced" sounds like pretty good news :) I hope that those symptoms quickly dwindle and vanish - and that you can continue to enjoy tea!
Thanks... me too. I admit I am feeling very guilty about having tea tonight... I intended to last a week or two to assess the full effect. Discipline was never my strong suit. But... only had a small amount and I won't have any more tonight for sure... even though there are maybe a half dozen or more samples of new teas in there beckoning me... plus larger quantities of some recent new favorites that I'd run out of and have been eagerly anticipating... Grrrrrrr. :evil:

OK, no more tonight, and that's final :!: :|
Sarah

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:08

by kymidwife » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:08

Chip wrote:...second that...the tea industry needs you. 8)
LOL!!! Considering what a good consumer I've been lately... if I stop buying tea, it may cause a recession. We really must prevent that for the sake of economic wellbeing of the tea industry, I agree. Plus, I am missing my tea sooooo badly.

Yesterday, I felt no real effects of the caffeine, but today it hit me... massive headache, sore neck, grouchy, really tired and draggy, etc. One cup of tea, and I felt so much better. Hands and feet were still alittle tingly today, but better than before... and no worse yet since i drank the tea, so I am optimistic.

I've been reading up on aspartame, and I'm hoping we can blame it for this whole thing. That would be such an EASY thing for me to give up. I'd much rather not worry about giving up tea or having multiple sclerosis.

I am appreciating everyone's concern very much, by the way.

Sarah

Jul 23rd, '08, 23:20

by Geekgirl » Jul 23rd, '08, 23:20

kymidwife wrote: I've been reading up on aspartame, and I'm hoping we can blame it for this whole thing. That would be such an EASY thing for me to give up. I'd much rather not worry about giving up tea or having multiple sclerosis.
I'd be so happy for you if that's all it is. If it does turn out to be aspartame, you might want to look at MSG also, (often disguised as "spices" in ingredient lists,) and be aware that aspartame is often in foods that also contain sugar to reduce calories. So just because it doesn't say "sugar-free" doesn't mean you're safe. (Did that sentence make any sense?)

Oh, btw, I found out about this aspartame thing about 18 years ago because a family friend had a small child who would become partially paralyzed when she had aspartame. Her limbs would go limp, she would drool, and she would experience some degree of catatonia. It was really scary, especially because she had two or three episodes before they figured out what was happening. This was way back when aspartame was a new thing, and there was NO body of evidence regarding the effects. Word was spread via flyers in health food stores and word of mouth.