Friday TeaRoom 7/25/08 Favorite book/movie combo?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Sit around the TeaTable in our TeaRoom and discuss. My favorite book made into movie combo?

The movie hit a bullseye and/or was great
26%
The movie was very good and/or pretty much on target
20%
The movie was ok
11%
The movie was not so good and/or failed to hit the target
17%
The movie was a complete flop
6%
Other
20%

Total votes: 35

Jul 25th, '08, 09:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 25th, '08, 09:18

Mmm, movies novels, novels movies ... there's so many ... let's just say any Ivory-Merchant or Mira Nair movie based on any book.

Speaking of books, I am planning a little conversation with my European Editor/Alter Ego later today. I think he may have taken advantage of Olivierco's good offices and slipped some questionable material into the photo posts, not to mention bilking him of some money at the poker table.

Jul 25th, '08, 09:18

by Aphroditea » Jul 25th, '08, 09:18

Riene wrote:Aphroditea--What does vertigo therapy consist or? Is that when one is tilted into various positions to let the inner ear adjust itself?
My vertigo is not an ear issue, but a brain issue. The general idea of the therapy is to figure out the positions that cause the worst amounts of lightheadedness/dizziness/vertigo and then learn how to move so as to avoid them. If it were an inner ear issue, you would be correct. However, for me it will be retraining myself to move in space.

I like to think of it as tai chi or qi gong for moving through the fluid of my very own alternate universe! :?

Jul 25th, '08, 09:27

by joelbct » Jul 25th, '08, 09:27

I'm not a huge fan of the book-into-movie thing... I think they are pretty distinct and disparate art-forms. Turning a 80,000 or 100,000 word book into a decent 90 minute screenplay just doesn't make sense- for the most part, like trying to fit a square peg into a round whole... which I suppose would work, if the round whole is much larger than the square peg... in which case that saying doesnt make sense...

<--- Drinking Fujian Red Golden Buddha...

Jul 25th, '08, 09:34

by auggy » Jul 25th, '08, 09:34

Wow, this question threw me this morning. My brain is too fuzzy!

I voted the movie was ok because all I could think of was the Harry Potter series. Yes, I'm a nerd. But some movies were better than others and some weren't so hot. But usually they were entertaining so they weren't all bad. However, none of my actual favorite books have been made into movies (that I know of). Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next Series anyone? Or Billy Chaka, too. Love to see any of those made into a movie.

Oh, my brain just woke up. I didn't like the new P&P movie, but the BBC/A&E mini-series still rocks. Made me love the book even more.

Jul 25th, '08, 09:50

by henley » Jul 25th, '08, 09:50

Ouch! This question really caused some brain-strain. With two small kids, it's been several years since I've read a book that didn't have pictures or watched a movie that didn't have cartoon characters. :lol:

Would have to go back to my days of being single & say Phantom of the Opera. It's been 15+ yrs since I've read the book (may have to re-read it after this). My favorite movie version of Phantom is from 1943, starring Claude Raines. Yeah, I'm a classic movie buff (& love Cary Grant!). It's a great classic story & (best I remember) the movie stays pretty close to the book. Have seen the broadway production of Phantom twice & would go again in a heart beat.

This morning's tea was the final steep of the Snow Pear Oolong that I started last night. :oops: I just couldn't throw the leaves out last night knowing they had one more good cup in them. As w/other green oolongs, used a lower water temp w/this tea (160*/170*/180*) & got great results. Will see what tea the rest of the day brings...

Jul 25th, '08, 09:53

by Rainy » Jul 25th, '08, 09:53

Good morning-
I love novels and read continuously,
unfortunately most are a bomb when made into a movie.
That being said I do agree that some movies are good independent of the book-
(if you can let go of the book in your mind) examples:

Lord of the Rings
Dune
The Notebook
Harry Potter

My favorite novels are anything by Laurel K Hamilton (no movies made) and any Diana Gibaldon (no movies made). Also a big fan of Edward Rutherford's Sarum and The First Man in Rome whose author eludes me at the moment.

Aged Earl Grey from Numi- interesting tea- no oil of bergamont is used, only italian bergamont fruit. The flavor is much less cloying and tastes very natural.

Jul 25th, '08, 10:21

by Katrina » Jul 25th, '08, 10:21

This was too hard...

I read anything and everything and couldn't possibly choose a favorite book. (Just like I couldn't choose ONE favorite tea.) I also choose to forget about the lousy movies that accompany books.

Among the ones that are memorable for being well done would be: (other than the previously mentioned Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter series), Little Women (the Susan Sarandon/Winona Rider version), the BBC Agatha Christie movies starring Joan Hickson, SOME of the BBC Jane Austen movies...My brain is now officially broken.

Needing tea...Desperately...Cheericup Ceylon is brewing now.
(The littlest here got up at 5...Ugh. Of course now she's napping. Lucky.)
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 25th, '08, 10:54

by Riene » Jul 25th, '08, 10:54

henley wrote:Would have to go back to my days of being single & say Phantom of the Opera. It's been 15+ yrs since I've read the book (may have to re-read it after this). My favorite movie version of Phantom is from 1943, starring Claude Raines. Yeah, I'm a classic movie buff (& love Cary Grant!). It's a great classic story & (best I remember) the movie stays pretty close to the book. Have seen the broadway production of Phantom twice & would go again in a heart beat.
Yay, another Phantom phan! I've seen it on three different tours, the Las Vegas show, and at Her majesty's in London. Someday I'd like to see the Broadway production.

I didn't like the casting of Gerard Butler for the Phantom at all in the recent movie--he's far too young for the part and cannot sing. However, I liked most of the rest of it.

LotR and the HP movies were generally pretty good--it's impossible to condense those huge novels down without losing part of the plot, but they were generally faithful to the books.

I hated the previews of the children's movie The Dark is Rising so badly that I refuse to see the movie. I loved that series and cannot believe they've mangled the movie version so badly. When you change the age, appearance, and motivations of the characters, as well as the setting of the story (Wales and England to USA), you've lost me as a fan forever.

Agreed, the BBC versions of (Joan Hickson) Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot were well done. I also liked the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series.

Jul 25th, '08, 11:21

by hop_goblin » Jul 25th, '08, 11:21

The book is always better, mostly cause you have control and are the ultimate director.

Jul 25th, '08, 11:24

by geeber1 » Jul 25th, '08, 11:24

I voted that the movie usually misses the mark compared to the book.

Some books are better left to the imagination, like how did they choose Tom Hanks to play the lead in the DaVinci Code? He's not really the dashing, international hero type. :cry: I've never gotten over when he played Buffy in "Bosom Buddies." :)

One of my favorite series is the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, but I think that to see any of them made into a film would ruin any new books that might come along. I'd imagine the characters as the actors that played them.

Iced Assam / Ceylon / Ginger Peach combo today. I'm going on vacation in North Carolina, so I'd better get ready for lots of "Sweet Tea!"

Jul 25th, '08, 11:30

by Tea na » Jul 25th, '08, 11:30

This is a tough one....

Lord of the Rings - Great
Michael Crichton novels into movies - kind of ok (I threw the book Sphere across the room when I finished, and the movie was no better)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Great (both versions)
I hope they don't screw up the Twilight book

I'll be different and say.....

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe - Book was great and so was the movie!!!

Having Keemun this morning and really liking it!

Have a great Tea Day!
Tina
Tea-Na

Jul 25th, '08, 11:49

by Katrina » Jul 25th, '08, 11:49

geeber1 wrote:Books are better left to the imagination, like how did they choose Tom Hanks to play the lead in the DaVinci Code? He's not really the dashing, international hero type. :cry: I've never gotten over when he played Buffy in "Bosom Buddies." :)
I could not agree more. Terrible casting choice.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 25th, '08, 11:55

by Katrina » Jul 25th, '08, 11:55

Any opinions on "The Kite Runner." I was pretty disappointed with the movie. Curious what others thought.

Jul 25th, '08, 12:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 25th, '08, 12:00

Probably my favorite book/series is Jean Auel - The Clan of the Cave Bear. The movie totally flopped in the theaters but I liked it. I might have been the only one to see it!

Switching genre -
Manhunter based on Thomas Harris's Red Dragon was a favorite too.

I'm not all that critical of movies based on books, I enjoy seeing the interpretations, whether I agree or not. If I liked the book I usually like the movie.

Jul 25th, '08, 12:01

by augie » Jul 25th, '08, 12:01

Darnit, I wish that I had not read responses first! I'm so confused, I don't know my favorite book/movie combo!

1. Tolkein/LOTR (didn't read all)
2. Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy (too abbreviated)
3. Harry Potter

But the book I am anxiously awaiting the December movie is Twilight by Stephanie Meyer!!! I just read "The Host", which is awesome and the 4th book in the Twilight Series "Breaking Dawn" will release in a a week. My kids are meeting with friends at the midnight release at B & N.

"Star Wars Revenge of the Sith" I listened on Audiobooks w/son. You definately learned more about how Anekin was set-up/duped by Sen.Palpatine (sp?) You didn't feel as much sympathy in the movie. Looking through deleted scenes they cut out two that would have demonstrated the deception better . . .

Henley: I hear you and I feel your pain! Mine were born 2 years apart. All I can say is Audiobooks! They are cheap at second hand bookstores because I can't sell mine for more than $2.00. :(