Friday TeaRoom 7/25/08 Favorite book/movie combo?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Sit around the TeaTable in our TeaRoom and discuss. My favorite book made into movie combo?

The movie hit a bullseye and/or was great
26%
The movie was very good and/or pretty much on target
20%
The movie was ok
11%
The movie was not so good and/or failed to hit the target
17%
The movie was a complete flop
6%
Other
20%

Total votes: 35

Jul 25th, '08, 15:32

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Jul 25th, '08, 15:32

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Victoria wrote:Sorry, love Nicolas Cage.
Love Moonstruck.
Love all his movies.
Cybertwin. I even loved Con-Air. :shock:
I will say this about Nicolas Cage...

I work across the street from one of the locations where they were filming National Treasure. A co-worker of mine is a big Nic Cage fan and wanted me to go with her to get a picture of him. We go out there and he's out there on the "set" talking to someone. On the sidewalk, there are all these women screaming at him, "We love you, Nic!" This goes on for a few minutes and finally, Nic breaks away from the person he is talking to, comes over and poses with all of the ladies for pictures. I thought it was a very classy move.

The cool thing about it for me...I got to see Harvey "Mr. White" Keitel.

Jul 25th, '08, 15:53

by auggy » Jul 25th, '08, 15:53

Beidao wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:When we got him from the shelter
Sorry if we love you to pieces tonight, but: If you have a shelter cat, I totally love you. I've been working at a cat shelter for two years and I've seen so many cats needing a good home, so few getting one.
Wow, Beidao, I couldn't do your job - it would break my heart. Of my current 7 kitties, all but one were either strays or abandoned and I just have to give them home. So now they are all spoiled little (okay, three are fat) inside kitties! When our neighborhood was newer, it was a popular place for people to dump their unwanted pets. :evil: People can suck.

Jul 25th, '08, 17:00

by Tea na » Jul 25th, '08, 17:00

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:DUNE!

Do comics count? Because I though the new Dark Knight was an excellent adaptation, as was Ironman. Now if the movie people can manage not to mess up Watchmen...

(Why yes, there is tape on my glasses. Why do you ask?)
Mine too! I loved the Dark Knight! Haven't had a chance to see Ironman yet...

Here's to the geeky people in the world! (I watch Doctor Who with my husband for fun, the new ones and ALL the old ones - he collects them)...

Had restaurant iced tea at lunch...might try some decaf chai in a little bit...

Happy Tea Day!
Tina
Tea-Na

Jul 25th, '08, 17:02

by Tea na » Jul 25th, '08, 17:02

Katrina wrote:
Beidao wrote:Captain Corelli's Mandoline is a good book that became an AWFUL film *shrugs*
For me most movies with Nicholas Cage fall in that category.

Let the flaming begin....
HA! My husband says he can't watch Nicholas Cage because he is still the character from Raising Arizona (in every movie)....

:lol:
Tea-Na

Jul 25th, '08, 17:06

by Tea na » Jul 25th, '08, 17:06

henley wrote:
michaelskar wrote:Perhaps Charlie and the Chocolate factory remade as Willie Wonka and the Chocolate factory (the original, not that horrendous modern version) comes the closest.
This is one of my all time favorite movies! :D Sad to say, I've never read the book. Will have to add that one to my reading list.
The book is SO much fun...so is Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (the sequel to Chocolate factory). They are fairly short and easy to read, I highly recommend them. I read them 7 or 8 times when I was in middle school.

Have a great day!
Tea-Na

Jul 25th, '08, 17:12

by geeber1 » Jul 25th, '08, 17:12

HA! My husband says he can't watch Nicholas Cage because he is still the character from Raising Arizona (in every movie)....
Okay ... Raising Arizona is one of his movies that I loved. And I liked the National Treasure movies also. So I guess I'm not totally anti-Nic. :)

Jul 25th, '08, 17:14

by geeber1 » Jul 25th, '08, 17:14

It is an adorable pic! I have a one of my dtr when she was 2.5 playing teaparty w/a teddy bear. The photographer did a great job setting up the shot. It's one of my favorites & lives on the mantle.
Henley, my daughter, who is 9 now, used to play tea party also. I wish that I had a good shot of her instead of clip art.

Your REAL photo sounds like a treasure! :lol:

Jul 25th, '08, 17:41

As Tolkien himself said...

by dunadan » Jul 25th, '08, 17:41

..."other hands" would contribute to the literary fabric of Middle-earth, and Peter Jackson's contribution is as faithful a vision in the medium of film as we are likely to see for a very long time.

Plus, Hobbits, being based on the English people, loved a good cuppa. But it makes you wonder from *where* did their tea come from? South of Harad, most likely...

I'd be drinking a cup myself right now, but sadly my last tin of Mariage Freres Vanille des Iles holds but a few lonely specks. Guess I'll have to rough it with some Fortnum & Mason, or maybe dig into the MF Darjeeling Princeton. :(

Jul 25th, '08, 18:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 25th, '08, 18:03

Welcome Dunadan to TeaChat and TeaDay! :D I hope you share many cups with us.

The Super Premo Sencha is not super duper so far...pretty good, but this is my first try anyway. 3 steeps so far, the first was a little rough, the next 2 were better. I will tinker with it and get it right by the time I get to the bottom of the bag.
Last edited by Chip on Jul 25th, '08, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 25th, '08, 18:36

by Victoria » Jul 25th, '08, 18:36

Chip wrote: The Super Premo Sencha is not super duper so far...pretty good, but this is my first try anyway. 3 steeps so far, the first was a little rough, the next 2 were netter. I will tinker with it and get it right by the time I get to the bottom of the bag.
Yeah netter is usually better.
:wink:
That's the problem with greens - they are just so much work, and many cups that are less than netter.

A nice Farmer's Baozhong from FLT in my cup this afternoon.
Perfect from the first try.

Jul 25th, '08, 19:09

by Salsero » Jul 25th, '08, 19:09

Chip wrote: The Super Premo Sencha is not super duper so far...
I enjoyed their Farmer's Shincha (thanks to InsanityLater) this year, but I was disappointed in the Sencha Premium (Shincha), Sencha Super Premium (Shincha), and the Shincha Fukamushi. It's not that they were bad, but they just never reached the intensity I crave, even brewed with extra leaf. I must say, however, that last night I had the last of the Fuka, forgot it and let the third or fourth steep run like an hour or so and it was still very drinkable. And I even got another round after that! I also realized that there was a uniquely creamy taste to it that is rather nice, just not what I expect from a sencha.

Mmm, maybe I need to be a bit more open minded.
Argghh... pain and bother!

Jul 25th, '08, 19:49

by Rainy » Jul 25th, '08, 19:49

Tea Na- Yeah Dr Who! Love them all!

So this may be a tiny bit off thread but has anyone seen Mamma Mia and how did it compare to Broadway?
I thought it was great-(the movie) very campy but sooo much fun. Sorry not a book so feel free to boot me. LOL

Marsala Chai- yummy like love in a cup.

Jul 25th, '08, 21:16

by augie » Jul 25th, '08, 21:16

keelyn wrote: The bad:
I Am Legend - though a decent movie, the Will Smith version completely changed its meaning.
Yeah, but like Dune, I don't pay attention to the story -- I'm just watching Will Smith (Sting - Dune). :lol: My husband has read Dune a few times and has to explain the whole thing to me every time it's on TV. "Spice!"

Jul 25th, '08, 21:25

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 25th, '08, 21:25

Because I feel like playing the Devil's advocate, is changing "meaning" (not counting Hollywood's tendency to dumb things down more than their dramatic license permits) always a bad thing when a story changes media?
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 25th, '08, 22:03

by joelbct » Jul 25th, '08, 22:03

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:DUNE!

I love Dune, have read all of them (even Brian Herbert's additions, which were mostly quite good.) The Sci-Fi adaptation was fantastic I thought (once I got over Paul Atreides being BLOND!), although throwing that statement out in the middle of a bunch of nerds is enough to spark intergalactic wars. The David Lynch version... I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I think I loved it, and sometimes I think it was awful. Although Sting as Feyd Rautha... *swoons*

Forgot about those... yah I read all the books when I was about 9 (precocious), then again at 19... might try em again, they were classssics... up to a point, at least... I remember they just got kinda weird after the 4th or so...

But yah I liked the Sting version, great design/costumes/sets/music... And The Sci Fi channel version, while totally different, was also quite good, in my opinion...