Saturday TeaRoom Teaday 7/26/08 What book genre?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TeaRoom type discussions this weekend. When you pick up a book for pleasure, what genre do you choose? (I had to do some "interesting combining.")

Arts/Photography/crafts/collectibles/hobbies/garden
4%
Biography/autobiography
4%
Children's
No votes
Classics/anthology/poetry
9%
Diet/exercise/sports/self help
No votes
Fiction/romance
11%
Food/cooking/beverage/Tea
2%
New Age/occult/supernatural
2%
Philosophy/religion/history
11%
Science/technology/Computers
4%
SciFi/fantasy/Horror/mystery/manga/graphic novels
34%
True Crime/Sociology
No votes
Other
19%

Total votes: 47

Jul 26th, '08, 13:47

by omegapd » Jul 26th, '08, 13:47

hop_goblin wrote: Well, that is only cause I love good hoppy beers! :D
The goblin part threw me off after I thought about it for a minute. :lol: That's when I went back and edited it to put the other stuff in parentheses.

Jul 26th, '08, 13:53

by omegapd » Jul 26th, '08, 13:53

reey wrote: Even in horror, though, I like at least hopeful endings, so I prefer Koontz over King.
reey,

Have you read Robert McCammon? I prefer him over both of those two. For years, Boy's Life was my favorite book...but I'm with you too. The only time I ever enjoyed King over Koontz was From A Buick 8. The main plot wasn't really up my alley, but I enjoyed the book. That little P.D. could have been mine...he researched police officers and how they act around each other very well.

EW

Jul 26th, '08, 14:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 26th, '08, 14:36

Started the morning with a Chai Latte (Rishi chai - yum!) at my husband's request since there's no espresso in the house for a Zojilatte.

Have moved on to Silver Needles, a sweet and tasty treat for warmer weather. There's a nice big pitcher of iced oolong waiting in the fridge too, for this afternoon.

Jul 26th, '08, 14:50

by Beidao » Jul 26th, '08, 14:50

Great poll. I've always seen books and tea as somewhat related. Nothing's better than tea and a book and an armchair.

I read really much. Mostly poetry and classics, but really a lot of different things. I will be studying Literature from 1st of September and so look forward to it. Now I have an excuse to read all day, and man will there be a lot of time for tea :lol:

Have had several cups of Yunnan FOP earlier today, cause I've runned out of pu :cry: Now finishing my TGY and later will drink the last dan cong.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jul 26th, '08, 15:03

by Riene » Jul 26th, '08, 15:03

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Have moved on to Silver Needles, a sweet and tasty treat for warmer weather. There's a nice big pitcher of iced oolong waiting in the fridge too, for this afternoon.

Nice cup, Geekgirl! I like cut-out patterns!

Jul 26th, '08, 15:08

by RussianSoul » Jul 26th, '08, 15:08

olivierco wrote:Difficult poll. I own many books (over 5000 volumes I guess) and am still continuing buying some.

I mainly read and buy books from the following categories.

Arts
Children's
Classics/anthology/poetry
Fiction
Food/cooking/Tea
Philosophy/history
Science
SciFi/mystery/manga/graphic novels
Economics

This morning keemun and houjicha karigane with my lunch.
Olivier, you are the first person I met, IRL or virtually, with more books in a private collection than we have. We are at approximately 3500 volumes at the moment. That is after a recent reorganization when we gave away, donated to a library and took to a book reseller several hundred of books that we felt should go for various reasons. The bulk of our collection is philosophy/psychology with literature, business, metaphysical, theology, history and art very amply represented. We are book fanatics here with 3 walls of built-in floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. And running out of space again, building new towers and castles of books on the floor that don't fit anymore :oops: .

I am drinking a first flush Darjeeling Lingia, a sample that a gracious vendor (Tea Gschwendner) sent me with my order. Great tea!

I also wanted to share that I got the award-winning Assam Marangi in this order which I tried this morning. I can see how it won the Super Black award - it's the best Assam I ever had in my cup to date!

Jul 26th, '08, 15:31

by Victoria » Jul 26th, '08, 15:31

Chip wrote: Ironically, TeaDay has been responsible for the decline of my reading...or at least the excuse I am using. I usually read in bed, but have been doing the forum instead.

I have been struggling to find or define my genre as of late. I will have to think about it.
I like fiction mostly. I'm here a lot as well,
which has really cut into my reading time also.

Today I started out with boazhong oolong.
Might try my hand at a green this afternoon.

Happy Saturday everyone!
Last edited by Victoria on Jul 26th, '08, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 26th, '08, 15:43

by olivierco » Jul 26th, '08, 15:43

RussianSoul wrote: Olivier, you are the first person I met, IRL or virtually, with more books in a private collection than we have. We are at approximately 3500 volumes at the moment. That is after a recent reorganization when we gave away, donated to a library and took to a book reseller several hundred of books that we felt should go for various reasons. The bulk of our collection is philosophy/psychology with literature, business, metaphysical, theology, history and art very amply represented. We are book fanatics here with 3 walls of built-in floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. And running out of space again, building new towers and castles of books on the floor that don't fit anymore :oops: .
I am also considering some kind of reorganization as I have still some place left in my apartment I don't have to rush it... I gave some books to my nephew and also gave/sold books translated from english or german of which I had the original version. But I buy more than I give so the actual number keeps growing.

Darjeeling Phuguri FGTFOP1 right now.

Jul 26th, '08, 15:47

by henley » Jul 26th, '08, 15:47

Victoria wrote:Might try my hand at a green this afternoon.
Hope you like it! :wink:

Needed a break from the cleaning out. It's been raining today so a nice hot relaxing cuppa sounds good. Off to stare at the tea drawer!

Jul 26th, '08, 16:50

Re: Haiwan 9908, *Lao Cha Tou* Old Tea Nugget

by augie » Jul 26th, '08, 16:50

Salsero wrote:If for some bizarre reason your spirit is possessed of a desire to look at this scene in more detail, click on the photo.
I don't know how to spell it in spanish: "The little store on the corner". La Tienda? Very cool.

This is one of my favorite projects this year. I took a class and though there would be no way in heck I'd ever finish it. Looked too difficult. It was so much fun to piece that I went home and finished the outer borders in one weekend. Just need to quilt it. Called Dresden:

I have 51 other hobbies: One for every week of the year! :wink:

Jul 26th, '08, 17:55

by reey » Jul 26th, '08, 17:55

[quote="omegapd"]
reey,
Have you read Robert McCammon?
[/quote]

I've heard of him...he was the guest of honor at one of the World Horror Conventions (not one that I was able to make it to, though). I'll take a look at some of his books; I've got enough credits on paperbackswap.com to request a few. Thanks for the suggestion! In the meantime, I'm expecting in from Amazon Koontz' next Odd Thomas novel to go with a cup of Adagio's Snowbud.

Jul 26th, '08, 18:36

by Rainy » Jul 26th, '08, 18:36

I voted fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, etc.
My life is too real- I like escapist lit.

Went back to Seven Cups today-
I got a green (see below) and a Puer.

Also some bargain teaware at a nearby thirft store. (see Ware Thread)

I am having the Taishan Fo Mei- Buddha's Eyebrow
Very nice, I like it better than last weeks Genmai Cha.

Hope it is cool wherever you are!

Jul 26th, '08, 18:56

by Chip » Jul 26th, '08, 18:56

Victoria wrote: IToday I started out with boazhong oolong.
Might try my hand at a geen this afternoon.

Happy Saturday everyone!
How was your "geen" tea?

I am chugging through a session of GREEN Yutaka Midori a la O-Cha...stellar as always!

The Baozhong sounds like a good idea, Victoria...it has been a week since I had it.
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image
Still love this amazing rice cup!!!
Beidao wrote:Great poll.
Thanx!!! A little encouragement goes a long way!

Very interesting replies to today's topic. I knew there were some very serious collectors/readers, but I had no idea...the 5000 volume collection by our French friend Olivier seems to reign supreme. I would like to see that!

And collection photos would be great to share! :idea:

Jul 26th, '08, 20:05

Re: Haiwan 9908, *Lao Cha Tou* Old Tea Nugget

by Salsero » Jul 26th, '08, 20:05

augie wrote:Image
Beautiful!

Jul 26th, '08, 22:28

by Chip » Jul 26th, '08, 22:28

Finishing out the TeaDay with "the other green tea" Wenshan Baozhong from Victoria...ROX!!!

Thanx for posting about this, V and reminding me I had this amazing GREENlong.....oolong.
Last edited by Chip on Jul 26th, '08, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.