Saturday TeaRoom Teaday 7/26/08 What book genre?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TeaRoom type discussions this weekend. When you pick up a book for pleasure, what genre do you choose? (I had to do some "interesting combining.")

Arts/Photography/crafts/collectibles/hobbies/garden
4%
Biography/autobiography
4%
Children's
No votes
Classics/anthology/poetry
9%
Diet/exercise/sports/self help
No votes
Fiction/romance
11%
Food/cooking/beverage/Tea
2%
New Age/occult/supernatural
2%
Philosophy/religion/history
11%
Science/technology/Computers
4%
SciFi/fantasy/Horror/mystery/manga/graphic novels
34%
True Crime/Sociology
No votes
Other
19%

Total votes: 47

Jul 26th, '08, 09:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 26th, '08, 09:16

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: ... I'm a relative latecomer to Sci-fi and fantasy ... When I was about 15, I read Clan of the Cave Bear, (Auel is a local author!) ... grounded from visiting the library unsupervised, due to my inability to "control" my reading material. ... Robert Ludlum ... meeting a boy ... Ah memories!
Wow, speaking of fantasy material! What a history, thanks for sharing.

I enjoyed Clan of the Cave Bear, though I never thought of it as sci-fi or fantasy. I think I read two or three in that series.

I read a bunch of Ludlum for a while (not sci-fi, of course) years ago but always felt cheated at the end. I have enormously enjoyed some Terry Pratchett for the wild ideas and delightful style, though I think of him as more satire than sci-fi. Generally my fiction tastes run more toward the Somerset Maugham I am into at the moment, Jhumpa Lahiri, Boris Akunin, Tolstoy. In non-fiction, I really enjoyed Rob Gifford's China Road, which drinkers of Chinese tea might enjoy as general cultural background (though I don't think tea is even mentioned) and I like Chomsky despite his tortured prose.

Jul 26th, '08, 09:28

by witches brew » Jul 26th, '08, 09:28

I had to say other because my reading is diverse.

This year it has been books on tea, Wicca, shamanism and art.

This morning, I made a huge pot of rooibos tea and am keeping it warm in a tetsubin. I'm working this morning, or will when they get the software unknotted and ready for use, so I wanted to sip away at a tisane I enjoy.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jul 26th, '08, 09:47

by auggy » Jul 26th, '08, 09:47

GeekGirl - loved the story - it made me giggle.

I chose Philosophy/religion/history. Usually (Japanese and Christian) religion and Japanese history but fiction/romance is a close second. I need my fluff and really enjoy fun fiction.

My main book spots with my favorite books:
Shelves hubby and my dad made for me and put on the back living room wall.

Barrister bookcase from grandmother-in-law.

Now, off to drink spend the day with my parents for some post-bday celebration. Bringing Jasmine #12 and a Moroccan mint to share.

Jul 26th, '08, 10:18

by Beanbean » Jul 26th, '08, 10:18

Hmm. I have never seen "mystery" in the same category as "sci-fi".

I am a voracious readers (100+ books a year) and I usually have a mystery/thriller going as well as some sort of contemporary fiction. I am just about to start "A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka. I've heard a lot of good things about this novel. I am also working my way through the mysteries of Michael McGarrity and Donna Leon. Good stuff.

Interestingly, when I read British mysteries my tea consumption goes way up along with consumption of toast and raspberry jam.

This morning I'm drinking Ceylon.

Jul 26th, '08, 10:35

by joelbct » Jul 26th, '08, 10:35

omegapd wrote:I'm a History and Religion buff.
Have you read Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire? Thrilling glimpse at early Western History and a lot of fascinating "early-history-of-religion" thrown in there. His writing style is wonderful- witty, precise, melodic, sometimes ironic/humorous prose, a masterpiece.

Anyway my tastes are broad- Contemporary Issues/Politics, Investigative Journalism, Fiction, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, Comedies, Philosophy, Greek Classics.... currently reading up on Music Theory, and the 600 page "Cubase 4" manual...

<--- drinking Castleton 2nd Flush, 2007

Jul 26th, '08, 11:09

by Geekgirl » Jul 26th, '08, 11:09

auggy, the floating shelves are fantastic! Gives me ideas on how to get the other books out of the closet! :twisted:

Jul 26th, '08, 11:18

by henley » Jul 26th, '08, 11:18

Auggy, your Barrister bookcase is fabulous! We've sold 3 or 4 of those over the years. They're quite valuable & always sell fast.

Had to pick the "other" option today. I'm more of an informative reader than a pleasure reader. So it depends on what my particular interest is at the time as to my book choice.

Most recent pleasure reading I tried to do was one of the Laura Childs' tea-based mysteries, The Silver Needle Murder. I like mysteries (I'm a huge crime-show drama junkie), her books are set in Charleston, SC (one of my favorite cities) & tea related, so thought it would be pretty good combination. Unfortunately, I only got half-way thru before it was due back at the library. May try again once school starts.

This morning w/bfast was Organic Monk's Blend. Hope to play in the Oolong Box again today but I'm going thru the kids' toys & getting rid of some. Got bdays coming up this fall plus Cmas... :shock: There's already more toys than we have room much less adding more!!! Wish me luck!

Jul 26th, '08, 11:30

by Riene » Jul 26th, '08, 11:30

Started off with Golden Monkey, had another mug of PGTips afterwards.

For relaxation reading, I love mysteries, especially the sub-genre known as "cozies"--minimal blood, preferably set in England, lots of plot, references to afternoon tea. :lol:

I read mainly from the following categories:

Mysteries
Fantasy
Tea books
Poetry
Biographies
Science Fiction
Historical Fiction
Travel Books/Memoires/Essays
Children's

Jul 26th, '08, 12:18

by CynTEAa » Jul 26th, '08, 12:18

criteaque wrote:Props to CynTEAa ...
Golden Yunnan this morning (this one's for you CynT')
Thanks, dear!

Truth be told I have strong penchant for reference books of all kinds. :oops: But I also enjoy, mystery, food/cooking, science, biographies, well written fiction and the occasional guilty indulgence of ghost stories. Heh. I don't think I've met a genre I didn't like. Does anyone here like comic books?

Had my Golden Yunnan as well this morning. Heading out to paint faces of young children for my nieces b-day. :)

Jul 26th, '08, 12:23

by olivierco » Jul 26th, '08, 12:23

CynTEAa wrote:Heh. I don't think I've met a genre I didn't like. Does anyone here like comic books?
I haven't bought many comic books the last ten years but I have a full bookshelf of bandes dessinées and I like to reread them regularly.

Sencha karigane right now.

Jul 26th, '08, 12:28

by Geekgirl » Jul 26th, '08, 12:28

CynTEAa wrote: Does anyone here like comic books?
Raises hand.

Jul 26th, '08, 12:32

by hop_goblin » Jul 26th, '08, 12:32

omegapd wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:I just can't get into fantasy or fiction.
Thank you, thank you, thank you... (with your user name, you're kidding right? I'm not. I can't stand the stuff :wink:)

I'm a History and Religion buff. A close second is my different/favorite hobbies.

Glad you made it back home, Salsero.

EW
No, I am dead serious! If I am going to invest brain power and time, I want to read about my predecessors and events that I was not born to see. I want to learn a lesson, I want understand humanity! As for "hop_goblin" Well, that is only cause I love good hoppy beers! :D

Jul 26th, '08, 12:44

by Chip » Jul 26th, '08, 12:44

Beanbean wrote:Hmm. I have never seen "mystery" in the same category as "sci-fi".
:( Having started with over 30-40 categories and the forum set for a max of only 13 poll options, I admittedly had to do some pretty "creative combining."

Ironically, TeaDay has been responsible for the decline of my reading...or at least the excuse I am using. I usually read in bed, but have been doing the forum instead.

I have been struggling to find or define my genre as of late. I will have to think about it.

Adagio Keemun Concerto earlier and currently Sencha Super Premo. A little better today. I just have to remember this is asamushi.

Jul 26th, '08, 13:13

by reey » Jul 26th, '08, 13:13

With well over 1,000 books on 7 bookcases, 3 shelves, and in various piles throughout the place, my reading material is very eclectic, especially since I teach a variety of humanities courses...Black Native Americans, American Women Studies, Intro to Film Studies, etc....along with some English and reading courses. And some of the books belong to my sons from their childhood and teen years and are being held in waiting for my grandson to come of reading age.

For pleasure, though, I like to escape...magic realism is my top choice with cozy mysteries and police procedurals (like Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series) coming in second.

I like sci-fi that isn't overly technical and fantasy if it's not the usual quests with the brawny hero and/or half-clad heroine. Horror is a choice if it's not all blood and gore and does have a lot of psychological elements. Even in horror, though, I like at least hopeful endings, so I prefer Koontz over King. Romance is okay if it's an integral part of the whole story, but super-heated bodice rippers are not my cup of...well, tea!

And speaking of tea, on this overcast and humid summer day, I'm about to brew a refreshing cup of Adagio's White Peach and settle down with a good mystery.

Jul 26th, '08, 13:44

by omegapd » Jul 26th, '08, 13:44

joelbct wrote:Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire? Thrilling glimpse at early Western History and a lot of fascinating "early-history-of-religion" thrown in there.
No, but can always add it to the list. :wink: Thanks for the rec.

EW