Tuesday, TeaDay to you 8/05/08 Gongfu/gender bias?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Revisited. Do you gongfu and is there a gender bias in regards to this particular brewing practice?

I am female and I do gongfu
14%
I am a female and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a female and I do not gongfu
19%
I am a male and I do gongfu
30%
I am a male and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a male and I do not gongfu
12%
Other
4%

Total votes: 57

Aug 5th, '08, 16:22

by Grubby » Aug 5th, '08, 16:22

yeah i gues i should have been more specific - the important thing in gong fu is making a good cup of tea, if you pour with left or right hand who cares its about HIGH SKILL not following a algorithm - the important thing in japanese tea ceremony is not just that the tea is good, but also how you drink and make the tea etc. Thats why i don't like it, since i think it should be up to one self, instead of following strict rules.

Anyways its kind of silly to discus this too much, since it wasn't a attack on the japanese tea ceremony, but just a side remark while discussing gong fu brewing.

Aug 5th, '08, 16:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 5th, '08, 16:56

Katrina wrote: The section you're referring to is a chapter on "Fifty Famous Chinese Teas" ... it depends on the price you can find to decide if it is worth purchasing for this chapter.
Thanks, Katrina. That's exactly what I wanted to know. The little paragraph I read on page 157 was very nice. I think I might like to have it around as a reference.
omegapd wrote: Great Tea Day here today. Must be getting back to my old self...
Oh no, run for cover, he's bringing out the Red Rose!
Angela Justice wrote: Who would like to see Adagio carry them?
In my limited experience, they are all about aroma, texture, and subtlety with very little actual flavor. Seems everyone who tries these teas is all like "Ooo, that's very nice, all the great aroma ... not a big taste, but the aroma of ... " and then doesn't brew it again for a year or two. So I think it wouldn't sell too well. It's the tea class everyone loves and no one drinks.

Aug 5th, '08, 17:13

by chamekke » Aug 5th, '08, 17:13

Grubby wrote:Anyways its kind of silly to discus this too much, since it wasn't a attack on the japanese tea ceremony, but just a side remark while discussing gong fu brewing.
No problem, I didn't take it as an attack, and I certainly wasn't trying to jump on you. I've just found that sometimes people think that the tea itself is secondary or even incidental in JTC, to the point of claiming that the tea part doesn't matter. Of course, it does :) So I thought I'd nip the potential for that particular misconception in the bud.

By the way, while I like doing tea in a "form" (to me, JTC is more like tai chi than anything else), I also really love the freewheeling approach. All tea styles are good. Some time I hope I have the chance to see gongfu performed by a knowledgeable practitioner.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 5th, '08, 17:32

by henley » Aug 5th, '08, 17:32

Grubby wrote:yeah i gues i should have been more specific - the important thing in gong fu is making a good cup of tea, if you pour with left or right hand who cares its about HIGH SKILL not following a algorithm - the important thing in japanese tea ceremony is not just that the tea is good, but also how you drink and make the tea etc. Thats why i don't like it, since i think it should be up to one self, instead of following strict rules.
Sometimes formality is nice & ceremony is appreciated but other times I just want a good cuppa!

I belong to another tea site that is strictly Victorian style. Some of the tea parties these ladies have thrown go to elaborate detail (& now that I know more about the JTC, I can see certain similarities). These ladies will decide on a certain theme & carry it all the way through from the invitations, decorations, food/tea, activities & party favors for the guests. Hmmm... It might be interesting to constrast traditional English tea party vs Japanese Tea Ceremony & see whether or not they are as different as they seem.

Aug 5th, '08, 18:12

by Victoria » Aug 5th, '08, 18:12

In my cup this afternoon - a fragrant Oolong from Bird Pick, here
in Pasadena, CA

A nice sweet fragrant green oolong.

Aug 5th, '08, 18:23

by RussianSoul » Aug 5th, '08, 18:23

I am a gongfu girl. A recent convert.

Ever since I tried my Oolong teas using the gongfu setup that came with the Oolong Pass I do not make my Chinese or Taiwanese teas any other way. I have since purchased a gaiwan and a simple little Yixing pot, and that's how I make my tea now. Far superior Image. I love my gaiwan!

Edited to add: I brew my Japanese greens in kyusu Japanese way, and my Assams western style, but in a clay pot.
Last edited by RussianSoul on Aug 5th, '08, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 5th, '08, 19:17

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 5th, '08, 19:17

I gong fu some of my oolongs and western brew the rest of my teas, namely blacks, whites, flavoreds, and a few oolongs that would not work as well in my gawain. Japanese greens are the exception and are steeped in their own, separate method. I didn't like my gaiwan too much when I first got it, but now that I have teas that work well with it, it is awesome.

Today, I started with Lesla Estate Kenyan Black tea. It was not what I had planned to make this morning, but it happened to be the tin closest to the front of my tea drawer. It was pretty tasty for a black tea and even did two good steeps.

Aug 5th, '08, 20:25

by Riene » Aug 5th, '08, 20:25

I'm forcing myself to finish some Pouchong right now, but I can't say that I'm enjoying it. I bought a new (blue!) Yixing teapot last week and have decided to use it only for oolongs, so I got out my Adagio sample box to try the last couple unopened oolongs.

I left comments on my "oolong-need help" thread, but in short, I am now very aware that I don't like flowery teas at all.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 5th, '08, 20:39

by Angela Justice » Aug 5th, '08, 20:39

Dear Riene,

How are you steeping the pouchong (aka baochong or baozhong to other teachatters)?

Perhaps I could help you prepare in a manner more to your liking?

Otherwise, it you're just not into green, lightly floral oolongs I recommend you steer more toward Wuyi and the Formosa Beauty (Adagio Oolong #8 and Oolong #40) for choices that are more darker, more structured and less overtly floral.

Best,
Angela

Aug 5th, '08, 20:41

by augie » Aug 5th, '08, 20:41

Scarlet Glow wrote: You have guests over for tea? I am so jealous! :shock: I want guests!
We should organize a central IN TeaChat annual meeting/tea!

IKWYM about no one understanding tea, Scarlet. Everyone I know or work with says they LOVE the new green bottled water product from Snapple, LIpton, etc . . . ugh! My SIL's mother was born in Hong Kong, so she does understand somewhat.

Enjoyed the rest of one of my "Tast of Mellowness" samples all afternoon.

Bought some Hagen Daaz Green Tea Ice cream. Shoveled a big spoonful into husband's mouth: "yuk, that ice cream tastes like grass!" :lol: Somehow, I just don't think it would be the same with Oolong or Pu. Pu Ehr ice cream . . . nah.

Aug 5th, '08, 20:43

by Chip » Aug 5th, '08, 20:43

Tried blending the Aracha with the crappy Gyokuro again, modifying the ratios a bit. Came out better, but this may not work. Not giving up yet though. It was actually much better today. But it must get better than this.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 5th, '08, 20:46

by Chip » Aug 5th, '08, 20:46

augie wrote: Bought some Hagen Daaz Green Tea Ice cream. Shoveled a big spoonful into husband's mouth: "yuk, that ice cream tastes like grass!" :lol: Somehow, I just don't think it would be the same with Oolong or Pu. Pu Ehr ice cream . . . nah.
What, don't you already add cream and loads of sugar to pu-erh???

Matcha goes really well with a lot of stuff in recipes. I have yet to try it in something w/o loving it. Matcha ice cream rules.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 5th, '08, 20:59

by Grubby » Aug 5th, '08, 20:59

Angela could you plz put weight on the loose tea in your european site? Either its not there or its incredibly hard to find.

Aug 5th, '08, 21:08

by Riene » Aug 5th, '08, 21:08

Angela Justice wrote:Dear Riene,

How are you steeping the pouchong (aka baochong or baozhong to other teachatters)?

Perhaps I could help you prepare in a manner more to your liking?

Otherwise, if you're just not into green, lightly floral oolongs I recommend you steer more toward Wuyi and the Formosa Beauty (Adagio Oolong #8 and Oolong #40) for choices that are more darker, more structured and less overtly floral.

Best,
Angela
My little Yixing holds about one cup of water, and I'm using about a tablespoon of leaves, with a three minute steep. Does that sound "right?" I'm fairly new to oolongs.

Are those the names of the teas? Wuyi = #8? FB = #40?

I loved the Oolong #8 sample and will be ordering more of it.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 5th, '08, 21:13

by Proinsias » Aug 5th, '08, 21:13

I brew gong-fu. My brain doesn't cope with brewing times over 30 seconds or so, unless the leaf is so tired an extra 10mins won't make any difference.

I'm not able to brew gong-fu at work. I used to try with a thermal mug as a gaiwan type thing decanted into a regular mug, too much internal moaning ensued. Now there is no tea at work but even more great tea at home. I think I was the only person going full on gong fu everyday in the middle of Glastonbury.

The only time I approach western brewing is when I have guests, panic ensues. Trying to guess how much leaf to place in a 1.5l teapot and how long to leave it pains me, even more so when the guests want to just leave it half full and stewing on the table - ahhhggghh, why aren't these people incredibly anal about their tea?

On dan cong: Hobbes over at the Half Dipper once said dan cong was like a pretty girl who turns out to be extremely dull in conversation, implying a negative I think. My wife would frown on me for spending an evening or so a week alone with this sort of girl but fortunately she has no aversion to me having several dan cong's in the cupboard to bring out once every week or two and have some fun with once she has gone to bed.
Having a love for lychees helps me appreciate dan cong aswell. My friend used to turn up and be delighted when he smelt lychees and barged in to eat some now he looks disappointed if it's the fruit and not Dan Cong on the go - sometimes it's both and he's very happy.
Imem's aged dan cong is not very typical of the genre but as soon as the lottery comes up I'm buying a sackful.
My current taste in oolong is wuyi first, dan cong second and then other stuff.

Today consisted of two back to back yixing gong fu sessions with some nice qimen from Teaspring whilst trying to chisel out a concreted in 40yr old iron heating brick from the back of an unused coal fire - halfway there!