Tuesday, TeaDay to you 8/05/08 Gongfu/gender bias?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Revisited. Do you gongfu and is there a gender bias in regards to this particular brewing practice?

I am female and I do gongfu
14%
I am a female and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a female and I do not gongfu
19%
I am a male and I do gongfu
30%
I am a male and I semi gongfu
11%
I am a male and I do not gongfu
12%
Other
4%

Total votes: 57

Aug 5th, '08, 21:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Aug 5th, '08, 21:16

Riene wrote: My little Yixing holds about one cup of water, and I'm using about a tablespoon of leaves, with a three minute steep. Does that sound "right?" I'm fairly new to oolongs.
I don't think there is a 'right'. Personal preference is to pack in those leaves and drastically cut the steep time, it does mean you're committing to drinking quite a lot but there's always tomorrow.

Aug 5th, '08, 21:34

by Salsero » Aug 5th, '08, 21:34

Riene wrote:My little Yixing holds about one cup of water, and I'm using about a tablespoon of leaves, with a three minute steep. Does that sound "right?" I'm fairly new to oolongs.
I live in a gram-based world, but that sounds to me like too much time for that much leaf. Try pouring in the boiling water and having it all poured back out in less than 45 to 60 seconds and see if that helps. You should be able to repeat that at least two more times (for three cups of tea), increasing the steep time a bit (10 to 15 seconds) each go. I usually get 5 infusions with that tea. It is entirely possible that the second or third infusion will be the best.

Aug 5th, '08, 21:41

by Riene » Aug 5th, '08, 21:41

Proinsias wrote: - ahhhggghh, why aren't these people incredibly anal about their tea?
*cracks up*

Hey, it could be worse. My co-workers--the few who drink tea and not gallons of syrupy Starbucksbrew--think tea is Lipton bags. The more daring drink Constant Comment.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 5th, '08, 21:50

by Victoria » Aug 5th, '08, 21:50

A tablespoon for 6 ounces is way too much leaf for that steeping time.
In my opinion - of course.

Aug 5th, '08, 21:59

by Riene » Aug 5th, '08, 21:59

If you all think leaf/steep time is the issue, then I'll give it a second try. I'm always willing to listen to the experts!
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 5th, '08, 22:00

by henley » Aug 5th, '08, 22:00

Tonight's tea of choice was inspired by a conversation w/a fellow TeaChatter. In my cup is 90s Aged Nan Tou from Hou De courtesy of the oolong box. While this tea is far from "I'll never drink that again", it's not quite knocking my socks off, either. Will wait & see what the second steep produces before making the final judgment.

Edit--10:08pm
Hubby just came in. Had him taste my tea to see what he thought of it. After handing me back an empty cup, I think it's safe to say he liked it. Off to start the second steep!

Edit--11:20pm
After the third steep & 3 cups each of this tea, hubby especially liked it. Hou De doesn't have it listed any more so guess my search begins for another vendor or something comparable. Any suggestions?
Last edited by henley on Aug 5th, '08, 23:45, edited 3 times in total.

Aug 5th, '08, 22:10

Pouchong (Baochong) steeping notes

by Angela Justice » Aug 5th, '08, 22:10

Dear Riene,

I had my formative experience with a Chinese and a Taiwanese tea teacher. Not at the same time. :wink:

I was taught to brew baochong gong fu style in a 6 oz yixing pot. You can also use a gaiwan. Using this method I would:
1) Warm the pot by rinsing with 190 degree water.
2) Put in about 2 tablespoons of leaves. (5 - 8 grams)
3) quickly rinse leaves with 190 degree water by splashing, moving leaves and instantly straining to wake them up. take a moment to appreciate the wonderful heady, vegetal yet lilacy fragrance of our wenshan baochong (pouchong)
4) Steep about 60 seconds. Pouring 190 degree water over the outside of the teapot and then letting it evaporate each time. With the correct temp water and a 6 oz pot this should be about 60 secs give or take. Helps to have a bowl or tea tray for this purpose.While camping I have even used a casserole dish intended for cooking by fire to catch the runoff water.
5) Pour tea into a serving pitcher or into enough cups to completely drain the pot. don't leave liquid on the leaves.
6) Enjoy! Share with friends. Make merry.

This is a very chinese method.

If you want to do pouchong simple, you could simply steep 5 grams in 8 oz of 190 degree water for 2 minutes. I do like to warm all my cups and pots before serving tea so the temp doesn't do a nasty temperature drop.

If you would like to try other oolongs that are less floral, you can try our Adagio 1) wuyi oolong from rogui cliff in northern Fujian, 2) Oolong #8 a Taiwan Beauty Premium (aka Oriental Beauty or Formosa Beauty) or 3) Oolong #40 another delightful version of Taiwan Beauty. These teas are the other end of the oolong spectrum from Baochong (pouchong).

Please keep me posted on your thoughts as you experiment.

Hope you enjoy more fully.

:)

PS Using this method. You should be able to resteep the leaves three or four times. So 8 grams of tea would actually make about 24 fluid oz.

Aug 5th, '08, 22:37

Re: Yay Gong Fu! Spontaneous Shui Xian reflections.

by Chip » Aug 5th, '08, 22:37

Angela Justice wrote: Great topic Chip. I liked yesterday's too. :D
Thank you kindly! 8)

OK, the aracha bleh gyokuro experiment blend is a work in progress. The early steeps are just not doing it.

Currently, the Heirloom Tea Plant Flowers are sweet and mellow and low caffeine welcome addition to my evening. I am anxious to try the Rishi version next week. What is amazing, these that I currently have are pretty old but remarkably good.

Aug 5th, '08, 22:58

by Wesli » Aug 5th, '08, 22:58

Turns out Joel wasn't delusional, Itoen is pretty damn good.

Aug 5th, '08, 23:03

by Salsero » Aug 5th, '08, 23:03

Victoria wrote: A tablespoon for 6 ounces is way too much leaf for that steeping time.
In my opinion - of course.
In mine too, but they have recently voted an additional 2 ounces into the measuring cup.

Aug 5th, '08, 23:19

Pouchong is fluffy!

by Angela Justice » Aug 5th, '08, 23:19

To further expound on use of tablespoons for pouchong...

I recommend a tablespoon to two to get 5 -8 grams. The leaves are fluffy and light like feathers and not as dense as say a tikuanyin. You use more spoons but get the right weight of tea to water ratio.

Aug 6th, '08, 02:27

by Chip » Aug 6th, '08, 02:27

2/18/08
I am female and I do gongfu---------1
I am a female and I semi gongfu----3
I am a female and I do not gongfu-17
I am a male and I do gongfu---------8
I am a male and I semi gongfu-----13
I am a male and I do not gongfu----7

8/05/08
I am female and I do gongfu---------8
I am a female and I semi gongfu----6
I am a female and I do not gongfu-11
I am a male and I do gongfu--------16
I am a male and I semi gongfu-------6
I am a male and I do not gongfu-----7

I thought this would be a little interesting comparing the results.

Aug 6th, '08, 02:47

by Smells_Familiar » Aug 6th, '08, 02:47

I'm male and I always gongfu puerh, normally gongfu oolongs, rarely gongfu chinese greens, and never gongfu blacks or japanese greens.

In my cup is Hou De's Lan Xiang dancong. It's good.
augie wrote:
Scarlet Glow wrote: You have guests over for tea? I am so jealous! :shock: I want guests!
We should organize a central IN TeaChat annual meeting/tea!

IKWYM about no one understanding tea, Scarlet. Everyone I know or work with says they LOVE the new green bottled water product from Snapple, LIpton, etc . . . ugh! My SIL's mother was born in Hong Kong, so she does understand somewhat.
I would be totally down with a tea meeting! I'm in Carmel.

Ladies, I'm right there with you. None of my friends appreciate tea the way I do. I'll say, "Come on over, I'm gonna blow your mind with this tea I just got", and they're like, "Adam, you are a dork." I do, however, have my eight year old son to drink tea with me. You know, he tends to like things I'm enthusiastic about, plus he's interested in certain aspects of Asian culture already, so that helps propel his interest. It would be nice to share tea with folks closer to my age though. Ya know, people in their seventies and eighties :lol:

Aug 6th, '08, 09:42

by Riene » Aug 6th, '08, 09:42

Chip wrote:2/18/08
I am female and I do gongfu---------1
I am a female and I semi gongfu----3
I am a female and I do not gongfu-17
I am a male and I do gongfu---------8
I am a male and I semi gongfu-----13
I am a male and I do not gongfu----7

8/05/08
I am female and I do gongfu---------8
I am a female and I semi gongfu----6
I am a female and I do not gongfu-11
I am a male and I do gongfu--------16
I am a male and I semi gongfu-------6
I am a male and I do not gongfu-----7

I thought this would be a little interesting comparing the results.
It is interesting. I wonder if the women don't do so much gong fu because we're often so busy with other things?

It would be interesting to know if the results toward more gong fu with the women are a result of different members voting, or the same members being influenced to try it by the board?
--Tang Dynasty