Friday TeaRoom TeaDay 8/8/08 2008 Beijing Olympics

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The Opening Cermonies for the 2008 Beijing Olympics are this evening. Will you be watching, maybe with Chinese tea?

I will definitely be watching
15%
I will try to catch most of it
15%
If nothing better comes up
13%
Likely not, not really interested
23%
Definitely not
23%
Other
10%

Total votes: 52

Aug 8th, '08, 09:56

by chrl42 » Aug 8th, '08, 09:56

Greeting from China. I am back just now and I don't know if they still do in Wang Jing. I've seen fireworks and noises in and out, witnessed foreigners and I don't have TV at home.

Funny thing is there is no Chinese on street and many of their stores closed!
Patriotic Chinese :lol:

Aug 8th, '08, 10:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 10:15

augie wrote: I always click
You're a nosy parker!
Riene wrote:Salsero, you should have put a clown warning on that photo That tea tray is perched rather percariously!
Fear of clowns is Coulrophobia.
Laran7, I also recently spilled a cup of tea on my keyboard. :oops: When will we ever learn!

Aug 8th, '08, 10:20

by witches brew » Aug 8th, '08, 10:20

No Olympics watching here. I don't watch TV.

As for tea, I was at Ito En last evening and replenished my supply of Makaibari Estates Darjeeling Crystal 1st. Flush. So I am enjoying this in my morning cup.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Aug 8th, '08, 10:22

by Victoria » Aug 8th, '08, 10:22

Trey Winston wrote:
laran7 wrote: (I must remember to be cautious - an unnamed person I know dumped a cup of tea on her computer keyboard and that was the end of that.) :oops:
I know what you mean. Losing a cup of tea can indeed be a grievous experience. I bet it was the first steep, too.
:lol: Hysterical!

CynTEAa wrote:Sal, is that tea tin from SpecialTeas? Looks familiar. :) (BTW - What is the technical term for 'fear of clowns?')

Olympics - I hope to watch the opening ceremonies. It's interesting to see how each host country chooses to present itself. You can learn a lot culturally when someone puts their best foot forward (as well as when they think no one is looking.) :wink:

Yunnan Gold today as usual. It was just perfect. Good start to Friday!
Fear of Clowns - Check
Hope to watch Olympic opening ceremonies - Check
Yunnan Gold for breakfast - Check

Twinsies - Check.
:lol:

Aug 8th, '08, 10:24

by auggy » Aug 8th, '08, 10:24

No Olympics for me. Unless it is hockey, I really can't find it in myself to care. So I'll watch again in two years.

Today's goal is to find a freakin' UPS store (or similar) and get two packages mailed off and 200+ letters deposited at the post office. Since yesterday afternoon, I have made two attempts at accomplishing these goals and no luck. Third time better be the charm or I'm just going to hide them all in a ditch.

Aug 8th, '08, 10:28

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 10:28

Victoria wrote: :lol: Hysterical!
- Check

Aug 8th, '08, 11:55

by bronzebed » Aug 8th, '08, 11:55

i'll try to catch the olympics but i don't really watch tv so its likely that i'll forget.

no tea as of yet. went to starbucks for a hot chocolate that was made wrong. oh well. i'll have to make some monkey picked oolong to make up for it.

Aug 8th, '08, 12:02

by Selaphiel » Aug 8th, '08, 12:02

Nothing like some good oolong after dinner. Having some Imperial Da Hong Pao from jingteashop today. Some say it is a tad expensive, it probably is, but I have to say it is quite a good tea. Anyway, I'm from Norway, if I compare it to the price levels here, it comes off as cheap relative to its quality. :)

Aug 8th, '08, 12:08

by Katrina » Aug 8th, '08, 12:08

Definitely Olympics watching here. I was a swimmer and this is about the only time you get to watch swimming on TV. I'm a little giddy. PLUS, I'm a member of this year's Ravelympics. Ravelry is a knitting website and they are doing this silly challenge where you sign up with a "team" and you have to begin your project during the opening ceremonies (or anytime thereafter) and it has to be finished and ready to wear by closing ceremonies. I am doing two projects for Team Red Sox. (Boston Red Sox that is.)

Off to brew Yunnan Gold Tips.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Aug 8th, '08, 12:10

by xine » Aug 8th, '08, 12:10

Sal, I love your little tea tray...and your workspace (although I'll agree with Cynthia, it is better sans clown). I had my share of French clowns yesterday (which are better than American ones) when I saw Cirque Du Soleil, so I don't have a major fear of them.

Having Pouchong right now...happy that it is Friday ( :D ). Happy 8-8-08 to everyone...tonight I might try to catch some coverage later on, I'm hoping to be preoccupied by a seafood dinner though instead. :)

Aug 8th, '08, 12:32

by Pentox » Aug 8th, '08, 12:32

No olympics for me. I don't watch much scheduled tv. Mostly just dvds and the like.

Todays cup: Some shincha kumpu that I found that I had forgotten about. It's lost a lot of it's amazingness, but still a good cup of tea.

Aug 8th, '08, 13:21

by Angela Justice » Aug 8th, '08, 13:21

I will try to catch most. Always enjoy a glimpse of opening festivities, but they tend to be very long and I usually only watch for an hour or put it on and do something else like work on this quilt I've been piecing for ten years.

Today drinking a magnificent cup of king's grade of medium roasted tikuanyin. I love it! It's inspiring me to tackle some writing projects. :)

Aug 8th, '08, 13:35

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 13:35

Salsero wrote:I count four jokers in this photo in addition to the five aces.
In response to the overwhelming indifference, I am divulging the answer:
  • 1) The clown in the rear view mirror (spotted by Pentox 22 minutes after I posted the pic)
    2) The bright red clown (including some repeated images of the guy) who seems to terrorize our TeaChaters (a still larger collection of jokers)
    3) The joker holding five aces on the book cover
    4) The hunchbacked jester Rigoletto on the DVD cover, Verdi's tragic character.
I'm going to have to give you all quite low marks on this activity. I may even have to call some of your parents.

Aug 8th, '08, 13:39

Re: TEAputer

by hop_goblin » Aug 8th, '08, 13:39

Salsero wrote:The little illusion didn’t work too well, but some of you may recognize my lovely and talented assistant seated at the console. Click if you are a nosy parker, no one will ever know.

For Where’s Waldo fans, I count four jokers in this photo in addition to the five aces.
The tea, by the way, I initially thought was a forgettable 2000 CNNP Grand Red Label shu, but it is growing on me.
SAL! I was certain you were going to do something for the Olympics! But this picture is quite festive in its own way! :lol: Your tiny image of yourself behind your tripod reminds me of "where's Waldo" LOL

Aug 8th, '08, 14:06

by Chip » Aug 8th, '08, 14:06

Chinese Keemun from Adagio earlier. Japanese Yutaka Midori from O-Cha currently.
Last edited by Chip on Aug 8th, '08, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.