Friday TeaRoom TeaDay 8/8/08 2008 Beijing Olympics

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The Opening Cermonies for the 2008 Beijing Olympics are this evening. Will you be watching, maybe with Chinese tea?

I will definitely be watching
15%
I will try to catch most of it
15%
If nothing better comes up
13%
Likely not, not really interested
23%
Definitely not
23%
Other
10%

Total votes: 52

Aug 8th, '08, 14:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 8th, '08, 14:11

The opening ceremonies should be awesome, I'm looking forward to watching.

In my cup again this afternoon at work, more of that lovely fragrant green oolong.

Aug 8th, '08, 14:14

by Chip » Aug 8th, '08, 14:14

I WILL be watching the opening ceremonies, most definitely. This will be as much about China as it will be about the Olympics. China will be putting on a show for the world to see, how they want the world to see China. I would not miss it for all the Tea in China.

Despite all the controversy surrounding China, the location of the Olympics, etc, I am intrigued immensely by the entire scenario. I still have a major fascination and love for China, despite my ignorance. Catching glimpses of China during this entire Olympics will be a treat.

Like it or not, China is coming to the front of the world economy and will influence our lives greatly for years to come.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 8th, '08, 14:38

by bi lew chun » Aug 8th, '08, 14:38

Chip wrote:I WILL be watching the opening ceremonies, most definitely. This will be as much about China as it will be about the Olympics. China will be putting on a show for the world to see, how they want the world to see China. I would not miss it for all the Tea in China.

Despite all the controversy surrounding China, the location of the Olympics, etc, I am intrigued immensely by the entire scenario. I still have a major fascination and love for China, despite my ignorance. Catching glimpses of China during this entire Olympics will be a treat.

Like it or not, China is coming to the front of the world economy and will influence our lives greatly for years to come.
Thanks for typing out my feelings so I don't have to. I don't find Olympics opening ceremonies incredibly interesting in and of themselves, but this Olympics is certainly one to watch.

Aug 8th, '08, 14:41

by Grubby » Aug 8th, '08, 14:41

Talking about losing tea, my family accidentally threw out 20$ worth of my tea.
The funny thing is that i don't care about the money, i "feel bad for the tea" :lol:

Aug 8th, '08, 14:56

by joelbct » Aug 8th, '08, 14:56

Grubby wrote:Talking about losing tea, my family accidentally threw out 20$ worth of my tea.
The funny thing is that i don't care about the money, i "feel bad for the tea" :lol:
Bummer!

As for the Olympics, option 7 - I will be at the Beach for a week, starting today after work (yay!), so I might catch a bit of the olympics, but I won't be glued to the screen or anything... unless its a rainy day!

<-- Vithkanande Estate Ceylon this morning and drinking what was left of that now, after lunch. Delicious!!! I have been getting into Ceylons lately...

Aug 8th, '08, 15:35

by Chip » Aug 8th, '08, 15:35

joelbct wrote:
Grubby wrote:Talking about losing tea, my family accidentally threw out 20$ worth of my tea.
Bummer!

As for the Olympics, option 7 - I will be at the Beach for a week, starting today after work (yay!), so I might catch a bit of the olympics, but I won't be glued to the screen or anything... unless its a rainy day!

<-- Vithkanande Estate Ceylon this morning and drinking what was left of that now, after lunch. Delicious!!! I have been getting into Ceylons lately...
Ceylons...or Cylons? :wink:

Have a great trip Joel. I will watch over your teaware and tea in your absense. :twisted:

One reason I hate to throw tea away. I think of the labor that went into it. Makes me sad to just throw it away. Kind of trivializes the efforts of those who made it.

So, I just keep it forever???

Aug 8th, '08, 15:56

by henley » Aug 8th, '08, 15:56

We'll watch a little of it... til a commercial comes on & hubby starts flipping channels. You guys & your remotes! :roll: :lol:

Started the day w/Golden Monkey. No other teas yet as I've been on a cleaning out spree. If I even mention placing another tea order, somebody cyber slap me! One project was cleaning out & reorganizing my tea drawer. :shock: Discovered I have 15 2 oz or larger size tins of tea open. These are just the ones I regularly drink not to mention the samples. Between the oolong box & what I've ordered or rec'd from TeaFriends, there's 50+ different samples. To look at it, you'd never know that I've shared tea w/various people. I like variety in my teas & by golly, I've got it... A little too much!

Back to cleaning out. Tackling the kids' outgrown clothes next. Doesn't that sound like fun? Woo-hoo! *insert sarcasm here*

Have fun for the rest of us, Joel!
Last edited by henley on Aug 8th, '08, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 8th, '08, 16:14

by Riene » Aug 8th, '08, 16:14

Chip wrote:
joelbct wrote:
Bummer!

Ceylons...or Cylons? :wink:

Have a great trip Joel. I will watch over your teaware and tea in your absense. :twisted:

One reason I hate to throw tea away. I think of the labor that went into it. Makes me sad to just throw it away. Kind of trivializes the efforts of those who made it.

So, I just keep it forever???
There's another tea poll for you, Chip--what do you do with tea you no longer want? :wink:
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 8th, '08, 16:20

by RussianSoul » Aug 8th, '08, 16:20

Yes, we'll be watching the Olympics Opening. I have just connected the TV that was off since February when our cable provider went digital. They sent us a converter box, but we didn't care enough to connect it. Yea, we are nerds, we don't watch the box. It would've been off for another couple of years if it weren't for the Chinese Olympics. It's not just sports, it's China - fascinating!

I am drinking ‘Subtropical Forest’ Baozhong from Tea Masters, a sample that Sal sent me. I started it yesterday and am now on the 8th steep. I think it will be good for two more steeps, and I am willing too because it is a beautiful tea. Thanks Sal!

Aug 8th, '08, 17:33

by Chip » Aug 8th, '08, 17:33

Gulping down some Farmer shincha before heading out for a bike ride. I will have to pedal faster in order to get back for the opening cermonies.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 8th, '08, 18:23

by laran7 » Aug 8th, '08, 18:23

Chip wrote:I WILL be watching the opening ceremonies, most definitely. This will be as much about China as it will be about the Olympics. China will be putting on a show for the world to see, how they want the world to see China. I would not miss it for all the Tea in China.

That is beautifully put - I'm sure I will be able to watch at least highlights on video on the internet. Thanx for reminding me of its importance.

Aug 8th, '08, 18:34

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 8th, '08, 18:34

Provided I remember that the Olympics start today, I may watch some of the opening ceremonies, but will most likely end up watching late night food network shows instead, if anything. The current plan for tonight is to piece together my sewing project after dinner. Everything is all cut out so now there is just the attaching part left. So depending on how long that takes me, the Olympic watching may or may not happen.

Today started with Lesla Estate Kenyan Black tea. My current tea is Aged Nan Tou, though I will have to take a break from it soon so I can enjoy the French Onion soup that I have simmering on the stove.

Aug 8th, '08, 19:07

by Salsero » Aug 8th, '08, 19:07

Olympics? Isn't that the thing that used the Audi symbol?
ImageWhat teams are playing?

Aug 8th, '08, 20:28

by Chip » Aug 8th, '08, 20:28

Watching the Olympic opening ceremonies while enjoying Chinese Long Jing. Not sure whether it is the greatness of this tea, but my eyes have filled more than once already.

Seeing China put on a show for the entire world to see. I cannot help but wonder if I am watching a part of world history happening live.

I have a few friends in China, the feeling of national pride is undenyable today. One friend just learned how to swim and is a huge fan of the American swimmer Michael Phelps ironically.

Aug 8th, '08, 21:39

by Victoria » Aug 8th, '08, 21:39

Still waiting here for 7:30 ...

No Chinese tea - it will be too late ---- no wait!!
The Heirloom Flowers!!! I'll have that, perfect!