Monday TeaDay 8/18/08 TeaVacation of a lifetime

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Adagio is offering a TeaVacation of a lifetime (not really), all expences paid. Where would you go?

China
27%
India
13%
Japan
54%
Taiwan
7%

Total votes: 56

Aug 18th, '08, 20:17

by henley » Aug 18th, '08, 20:17

Salsero wrote:
henley wrote: Geekgirl - Like your teaware! Very pretty.
I'll bet she means she's insanely jealous
Image Shh! You weren't suppose to say anything! *sneaks Geekgirl's teaware away*

Off to play in the Oolong Box samples. Last time I tried the Charcoal Roasted Tung Ting & the results were not good! After 2 sips, I knew it wasn't the tea for me. For lack of a better description, it almost reminded me of some of the Pu I've tried. Here's hoping for a better turnout!

Aug 18th, '08, 21:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 18th, '08, 21:14

My last cup for today is another of the Adagio #8 on ice.

Surprising how much I enjoy it this way.

Aug 18th, '08, 21:29

by devites » Aug 18th, '08, 21:29

Taiwan, simply since I have been drinking Taiwanese oolongs all day.

Aug 18th, '08, 21:34

by auggy » Aug 18th, '08, 21:34

Salsero wrote:
auggy wrote: my host grandma when I was in Japan. ~snip~ at 18 I didn't appreciate it near as much as I would now.
Wow, Auggy, what an experience. Chamekke, I'm sure, is turning 10 shades of green now: all the way from Asamushi green to Koicha green. Too bad you didn't get it all on your cell phone camera!
Cell phones didn't have cameras the year I spent in Japan! OMG, I just realized how long ago it was now!

Yeah, grandma liked to tell me old stories. I think mostly because her grandkids didn't really care. A lot of the time talking about the old days also included how kids were nowadays. :lol:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
Geekgirl, please tell me more about this tea ware. I love the pot and the little bird on the cup is so cute!

Aug 18th, '08, 21:44

by Geekgirl » Aug 18th, '08, 21:44

auggy wrote: Geekgirl, please tell me more about this tea ware. I love the pot and the little bird on the cup is so cute!
The pot is a little 2-cup Duchess pot, I have no idea what the pattern is. It was a gift. The teacup is Royal Albert in the pattern "Chelsea Bird." It comes in turquoise and burgundy. I was lucky enough to find this in a second-hand store for less than $20.

I've been trying to win more in this pattern on ebay ever since, but I'm such a cheapskate, I don't want to pay more than $20 (incl shipping), so I keep losing. :lol: It seems ol' Chelsea Bird is quite popular.

Aug 18th, '08, 21:54

by Chip » Aug 18th, '08, 21:54

Had some nice Lishan green oolong still from the Expo. I will come back to this a little later. But currently enjoying my 4th steep of Kunpu light steamed sencha.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 18th, '08, 21:54

by chamekke » Aug 18th, '08, 21:54

auggy wrote:Chamekke, you would have loved my host grandma when I was in Japan. She had this HUGE 7-drawer wardrobe in the tatami room in her house. It was filled to the brim with pre-WW2 kimono. She liked reminiscing with me and she spent a night with me taking out the kimono and showing them to me. She came from a very affluent family and even her "everyday" pre-war kimono that she showed me were gorgeous. She had at least 30 kimono in that wardrobe alone. All the accessories were in the closet in that room, along with some other kimono that were more recent. Sadly, at 18 I didn't appreciate it near as much as I would now.
Oh, I would have loved that so much. I'm glad you had that experience, auggy.

Actually, it's not so much looking at the kimono that I wouild enjoy (although of course they would be delightful to look at), as hearing the stories and memories associated with them. I have some vintage kimono, and often wonder about the woman or women who first wore them. Especially the older ones from the Taisho era. If only those kimono could talk!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 18th, '08, 21:58

by joelbct » Aug 18th, '08, 21:58

Katrina wrote:Crazy thunderstorm hit Saturday afternoon. Here's a photo as it was clearing. And the sunset afterwards was incredible.
Wow Katrina those are gorgeous... I love the clouds. Interesting, because the most awe-inspring sky I have ever seen was also off the coast of Mass in August.

When I was 13 I spent a week sailing with a friend and his dad around Cape Cod and Nantucket. One evening a crazy flash storm hit and then broke just as the Sun was starting to set. Lit up the sky in all directions, with crazy cloud patterns and colors, and there were 2 giant rainbows on opposite sides of the sky. Sounds like I am talking about an acid trip but it really happened and it was like exponentially more gorgeous than any other sunset or sky I've seen....

Aug 18th, '08, 22:15

by Salsero » Aug 18th, '08, 22:15

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: "Chelsea Bird"
Is Chelsea Bird a quail or grouse or something like that? Aren't those eggs lying on the ground next to it?
joelbct wrote: exponentially more gorgeous than any other sunset or sky I've seen....
Wow! Is weather generally more impressive at sea?

Aug 19th, '08, 00:39

by Salsero » Aug 19th, '08, 00:39

In from bike ride, starting dishwasher ... Settling in with the first elective tea of the day 2000 CNNP Grand Red Label. I was pretty impressed with this shu sample last time I had it and hoping for something exciting before bed ... teawise, that is! This is the rinse water: I just can't pass up 8-yr-old rinse water. Well, I expect this tea to outlast me tonight, but must catch a few minutes of the film classic I am slowly working my way through: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, very inspirational material. Night all!