Dec 17th, '08, 05:28

by danluie » Dec 17th, '08, 05:28

Thanks so much for your help,Salsero.
now I can post my teawares.

Dec 17th, '08, 16:38

by devites » Dec 17th, '08, 16:38

Trioxin wrote:Click for full sized pic
I love Oriental Beauty and this is a stellar picture. I'm probably headed to Floating Leaves today to pick some up!

Dec 18th, '08, 04:41

by Trioxin » Dec 18th, '08, 04:41

Thanks. Love that tea.

May 10th, '09, 18:47

by t4texas » May 10th, '09, 18:47

I have not switched teas for my dragon egg shape dhp teapot, but think I can do better, and wondered what teas are working best with these pots for others.

May 10th, '09, 19:17

by danibob » May 10th, '09, 19:17

t4texas wrote:I have not switched teas for my dragon egg shape dhp teapot, but think I can do better, and wondered what teas are working best with these pots for others.
Hi there. I bought the same pot you have. I use it only for TKY (light/medium roasted). The roundness of the pot works well for TKY. After about a month of use I'm noticing my tea is coming out a bit sweeter and more rounded.

It is a nicely crafted pot, but I'm still concerned with the chemical smell that remains. None of my other pots have that smell. I know at least one other person here has had that same problem with these pots. I would like to hear more about others' experiences with these pots.

May 10th, '09, 19:34

by t4texas » May 10th, '09, 19:34

Can you describe the chemical smell?

May 10th, '09, 20:19

by danibob » May 10th, '09, 20:19

Smells_Familiar wrote: The pot I have now fails the smell test. I boiled it for 45 min and rinsed with boiling water many times. I've brewed dan cong in it a few times too. The thing is, the pot smells a bit like wet latex paint. Say it's been on the shelf for a few days, dry with the lid on, and I open the lid and smell, I get a nose full of latex paint smell.
This post pretty much describes it. Of course now, I smell a bit of the TKY that I have brewed in the pot mixed with the wet paint smell. Have you gotten that at all? It could be that we just perceive the smell differently. One may just attribute it to the clay. But I don't have enough experience with yixing to differentiate.

May 11th, '09, 00:12

by Tead Off » May 11th, '09, 00:12

Give the pot back to the seller and get your money back. Good pots don't smell any time. There is something added to the clay that is causing this. Don't use it anymore as you are not even sure it is non toxic.

It's important to buy equipment from sellers who really know what they are selling. There are many posters here who can direct you to vendors who are reputable and care about their stuff.

May 11th, '09, 02:22

by t4texas » May 11th, '09, 02:22

danibob wrote:
Smells_Familiar wrote: The pot I have now fails the smell test. I boiled it for 45 min and rinsed with boiling water many times. I've brewed dan cong in it a few times too. The thing is, the pot smells a bit like wet latex paint. Say it's been on the shelf for a few days, dry with the lid on, and I open the lid and smell, I get a nose full of latex paint smell.
This post pretty much describes it. Of course now, I smell a bit of the TKY that I have brewed in the pot mixed with the wet paint smell. Have you gotten that at all? It could be that we just perceive the smell differently. One may just attribute it to the clay. But I don't have enough experience with yixing to differentiate.
No smell to mine. I would encourage you to contact Scott at Yunnan Sourcing to discuss the troubling smell. Let us know what comes of this.

I had been considering trying tgy in it, but am interested in what others are brewing.

May 11th, '09, 03:07

by Oni » May 11th, '09, 03:07

Mine has no smell to it, other than the tea it is used with, I use mine with tgy and it makes much better TGY than a gaiwan.

May 11th, '09, 03:16

by t4texas » May 11th, '09, 03:16

Oni wrote:Mine has no smell to it, other than the tea it is used with, I use mine with tgy and it makes much better TGY than a gaiwan.
Thanks. Are you using it for greener tgy or more roasted or aged tgy?

May 11th, '09, 10:39

by tsverrir » May 11th, '09, 10:39

I have the dragon egg one. First I noticed a strange smell, a bit like acryl. After seasoning the smell disappeared.

After ~month of use I noticed a sour smell from the pot. When inspecting the pot I found that the inside was covered with fine dust like stuff that I thought could be mold. After boiling it for 2 hours (resetting the seasoning) the sour smell disappeared. It's been working fine since then.

I use mine for Baozhong and High mountain Taiwanese oolongs. I think it does a good job with them.

May 11th, '09, 14:25

by Smells_Familiar » May 11th, '09, 14:25

just an update on my two "da hong pao" pots. the first i ordered was the same style that oni has as his avatar. this is the pot that had a fairly strong latex paint smell. i used this pot a number of months for danchong and the smell is now gone. it still doesn't smell as nice as my other pot i was using for danchong before it though. oh well, i've since switched back to a giawan for all of my danchongs and will probably soon sell the pot.

the second "da hong pao" pot i bought from scott was the Gu Shi Shui Ping style. this pot didn't smell like latex paint but rather modeling clay! i have used this to brew sheng puerh and the smell has completely gone now. this pot is beautiful and perfect for sheng, except for one thing... the pour is slow. this is kinda a deal breaker for me. i could use it to brew a different tea that is more forgiving, but i've already got all my other teaware needs covered. i'll probably end up selling this one in the near future as well.

i think the main thing that helped reduce the smells was keeping the lids off and having the pots exposed to fresh air more than brewing tea in them. i siimply didn't brew much tea in them because i don't drink tons of danchong or sheng. :wink:

May 11th, '09, 14:57

by t4texas » May 11th, '09, 14:57

Smells_Familiar wrote:just an update on my two "da hong pao" pots. the first i ordered was the same style that oni has as his avatar. this is the pot that had a fairly strong latex paint smell. i used this pot a number of months for danchong and the smell is now gone. it still doesn't smell as nice as my other pot i was using for danchong before it though. oh well, i've since switched back to a giawan for all of my danchongs and will probably soon sell the pot.

the second "da hong pao" pot i bought from scott was the Gu Shi Shui Ping style. this pot didn't smell like latex paint but rather modeling clay! i have used this to brew sheng puerh and the smell has completely gone now. this pot is beautiful and perfect for sheng, except for one thing... the pour is slow. this is kinda a deal breaker for me. i could use it to brew a different tea that is more forgiving, but i've already got all my other teaware needs covered. i'll probably end up selling this one in the near future as well.

i think the main thing that helped reduce the smells was keeping the lids off and having the pots exposed to fresh air more than brewing tea in them. i siimply didn't brew much tea in them because i don't drink tons of danchong or sheng. :wink:
Have you contacted Scott at Yunnan Sourcing? If so, what did he say? If not, I think he would want to know and would take care of you without you having to be in the position of selling a problem pot to someone else. Let us know what you find out and the outcome.

May 11th, '09, 15:21

by Smells_Familiar » May 11th, '09, 15:21

i didn't contact scott about the smell issue. if i remember correctly, it took ~ 3 months for the pots to arrive at my door and once i got them i just didn't want to deal with anymore problems. so i boiled them and opened them up and hoped the smell would go away...and it did. in scott's defense, i ordered them right at the time of the olympics and that is the cause for the delayed shipping. i'm not going to contact scott as it's been ~ 9 months and the smells have gone.

if i sell these, i won't be giving my problem to someone else, as there is no problem with the pots... the one has a pour that's, imo too slow for sheng (ill mention in discription), but it would be fine for most other teas. don't worry about it..

+ Post Reply