Wednesday TeaDay 8/27/08 Tea and appetite?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Jumping into a controversial subject. Does tea suppress YOUR appetite? (does it enhance it?)

Yes, I truly believe it does suppress
16%
I think in some way it does, maybe indirectly suppress
25%
No, I do not think it does suppress
33%
NO, definitely not, does not suppress
12%
Other
14%

Total votes: 57

Aug 27th, '08, 09:56

by cheaton » Aug 27th, '08, 09:56

Couldn't really answer based on the poll answers because they don't really make sense with the question. Shouldn't the answers be... 1. Yes it enhances my appetite. 2. Yes it decreases my appetite. And 3. It does neither??

Anyway. Tea doesn't seem to do much for my appetite. No more than drinking water does anyway. Being a habitual overeater my last doctor told me before I sit down to eat dinner to chug two large glasses of water. This will help me feel full and I wont eat as much. This definitely works. So I'd say, by and large, that unless you're drinking highly caffinated tea that if you experience a decrease in appetite from the tea it's probably simply from putting something in your stomach.

My 2 cents... driking some barely drinkable Oriental Beauty this mornin I picked up loose from a local coffee shop... good enough for a morning drive cuppa. I save the real stuff for after work :)

Aug 27th, '08, 10:20

by Wosret » Aug 27th, '08, 10:20

Tea practically demands an accompanying tasty morsel, for me. Usually something fatty! Crumpets, scones, cake, pie, cupcakes, pastries, cookies ... So there's no way I'm going to use tea to loose weight.

Aug 27th, '08, 10:21

by Aphroditea » Aug 27th, '08, 10:21

CynTEAa wrote:
Aphroditea wrote:In my cup today - dunno, yet....but I will take suggestions :)
I tend to like something full bodied in the am. Have anything on hand like that?
I got a little of everything at this point, it seems!! :shock:
So, I will go with SpecialTeas Vithanakande single estate Ceylon (the last of it). I should let others choose my teas more often! :lol:

Aug 27th, '08, 10:26

Re: Koten Fuukega Chawan

by auggy » Aug 27th, '08, 10:26

Sal, I find myself in serious lust for your cup. Where oh where did you get it?

I'm mixed on the poll topic. Sometimes I have a taste for something and tea satisfies it so it keeps me from munching but I have noticed that at times I get hungry about 15 minutes after I drink tea. Of course, that could have more to do with the time I'm drinking the tea (in between when I get home from work and dinner) than the fact that I'm drinking tea.

Been MIA lately - haven't been feeling good. No tea yesterday except a little green at the end of the day and even that didn't work so well. I went for my normal flavored black this morning since I was feeling better, but yeah, not a good plan. A weak oolong sounds good right now though. They seem to really help settle my stomach when I'm queasy. Sadly, I will have to wait until after work.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Aug 27th, '08, 10:36

by olivierco » Aug 27th, '08, 10:36

No incidence on my appetite.

No tea so far (except Keemun with my breakfast) because my vacations are over. Now the workday is over, time for some Kanro gyokuro.

Aug 27th, '08, 11:05

by hop_goblin » Aug 27th, '08, 11:05

Now, I am not statician but isn't the poll question truly flawed? Read it again and think of how accurate the results will be. :lol:

Aug 27th, '08, 11:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 27th, '08, 11:12

auggy wrote: Sal, I find myself in serious lust for your cup. Where oh where did you get it?
Auggy, scroll down the page at: http://www.japanesegreenteashops.com/ya ... acups.html You have to buy a pair at $25. Olivierco has the mate to mine. I swapped it to him for a coaster.

Aug 27th, '08, 11:19

by Aphroditea » Aug 27th, '08, 11:19

Salsero wrote:
auggy wrote: Sal, I find myself in serious lust for your cup. Where oh where did you get it?
Auggy, scroll down the page at: http://www.japanesegreenteashops.com/ya ... acups.html You have to buy a pair at $25. Olivierco has the mate to mine. I swapped it to him for a saucer.
OHMY! So many beautiful cups! *drools* I could easily spend $100 or more....

Curse you TeaSanta! Curse you!!!

:D

Aug 27th, '08, 11:52

by chamekke » Aug 27th, '08, 11:52

Salsero wrote:The tea is Sencha Super Supreme; the yunomi, Aritayaki Porcelain in a chawan shape. I never have figured out what Koten Fuukega means.
Dude... some day you really MUST share a photo of your teaware cabinet with us.

Another awesome cup and another exquisite photo!

Koten means "classical" (as in ancient/traditional) and fuukeiga (note the -i- in there) means "landscape painting". I looked it up in my favourite online dictionary, the Animelab.com Japanese-to-English dictionary.

Aug 27th, '08, 11:53

by bronzebed » Aug 27th, '08, 11:53

Salsero wrote: Image
wow, this pic just looks very inviting. it makes me want to stand up to see if i can see more of the tea.

hmmmm, dunno if it makes me full or more hungry but sometimes on an empty stomach it makes me want to eat cause i get an acidic feeling that hurts my stomach.

Aug 27th, '08, 11:56

by chamekke » Aug 27th, '08, 11:56

hop_goblin wrote:Now, I am not statician but isn't the poll question truly flawed? Read it again and think of how accurate the results will be. :lol:
ROFL! I guess it's asking us whether tea affects the appetite (in our opinion), not how it does so...

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 27th, '08, 11:59

by auggy » Aug 27th, '08, 11:59

Aphroditea wrote:
Salsero wrote:
Auggy, scroll down the page at: http://www.japanesegreenteashops.com/ya ... acups.html You have to buy a pair at $25. Olivierco has the mate to mine. I swapped it to him for a saucer.
OHMY! So many beautiful cups! *drools* I could easily spend $100 or more....
Curse you TeaSanta! Curse you!!!
I agree - on all of that! I found at least four sets I want. Lovely!

Thanks for the link, Sal!

Aug 27th, '08, 12:23

by geeber1 » Aug 27th, '08, 12:23

I voted that it doesn't affect my appetite, but like Auggy, I think it depends on what time of day it is. Hope you start feeling better, Auggy!

This morning I had Darjeeling #22 and iced Ginger Peach at work. I think I'm in a rut. :)

Aug 27th, '08, 12:23

by Selaphiel » Aug 27th, '08, 12:23

Having some delicious Shui Xian after dinner. I'm very happy with this shui xian, it is traditional shui xian from jingteashop, it goes way behind the roasted aroma and hides a lot of different complex aromas, very nice.

Aug 27th, '08, 12:30

by Beidao » Aug 27th, '08, 12:30

Ok, so university began this week and today has been my first day of studying hard since the spring. Began early like a good student and was finished one hour ago. But god, I do feel SO tired now. And I have been working full time during the summer and never got this exhausted. Think I need some big mug of really strong black TEA. Or two mugs. Or three :roll:

Have been drinking Chun Mee, couple of cups, totally OK tea, but nothing like a good Sencha - in fact nothing like a mediocre Sencha either. Am trying to cold brew it. Will try with Huang Jin Gui too. Drank lots of Huang Jin Gui yesterday and used much more leaf than usual, it came out very roasted. It's so fun to see how the tea drinker plays a part in creating taste.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror