Wednesday TeaDay 9/03/08 Crave Factor for oolong

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

A new TeaDay, a new "CRAVE FACTOR." This time it is OOLONG, what is your personal crave factor for oolong?

10 I cannot resist the oolongs
15%
9 I realllly realllly crave 'em, even the night before
11%
8 I realllly crave 'em
18%
7 I certainly crave them
16%
6 Yep, cravin' oolongs
5%
5 Maybe, though crave might be too strong a word
13%
4 I like them, maybe, but not craving them
11%
3 No, I do not crave them
11%
2 Don't really like them
No votes
1 Hate them
No votes

Total votes: 55

Sep 3rd, '08, 17:35

by Pentox » Sep 3rd, '08, 17:35

Victoria wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Victoria wrote: First, unexpectedly finding a Lupicia Store at the Ala Moana shopping center in Honolulu!
What was your opinion of being in a B&M Lupicia store?
Oh I thought it was great!! I was in there for close to an hour I bet as my family members waited patiently for me outside. The choices were overwhelming. Although many Darjeelings I was looking at were sold out, as well as a few oolongs. I loved browsing the teaware too, much of which is not on the site. I'll be debuting my new cup and saucer soon as I get to my pictures, on the Show Off Topic.
Actually most of their teaware is now on their site as of oh a week ago. The unfortunate part though is it doesn't have pictures, but if you know what you're looking for they're on there.

Most of the Darjeelings are avail during the winter months from what I have noticed, that's when they have most of their single estate stuff. Although I still can't bring myself to spend 30+ on a 50g bag of castleton 1st flush.

Sep 3rd, '08, 17:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 3rd, '08, 17:49

Yes, it would be nice if they sold it loose and in any size you'd like. Instead it is all pre-packaged and some is quite expensive, even though the shop gives the impression of having loose leaf bins.

Sep 3rd, '08, 17:50

by Geekgirl » Sep 3rd, '08, 17:50

bearsbearsbears wrote: What a beautiful piece! You have a great collection of teaware. I see on the flickr photo page it's a Reid Ozaki. Do you follow Hawai'ian art/artists? His works are exceptional.
Thank you! Not as a particular focus, in fact efforts to turn up any information about this artist have been a bust. I have a little card from the art show where I bought it, but it just has a quote from him, and his name. So... any information you have would be great!

I'm actually kicking myself because there was a gorgeous shino teabowl there too from the same artist, and I didn't buy it, and the show is now over. Bah.

Sep 3rd, '08, 17:58

by Pentox » Sep 3rd, '08, 17:58

Victoria wrote:Yes, it would be nice if they sold it loose and in any size you'd like. Instead it is all pre-packaged and some is quite expensive, even though the shop gives the impression of having loose leaf bins.
Actually I prefer the way that they package them. I'm quite fine with 50g packages. Loose bins start to threaten the freshness of the tea, whereas these are all nitroflushed packages so they last longer. And at 50g you can get most quantities, aside from very small sample sizes as a multiple of the 50g bags. And any smaller you would get way too much packaging for your own good.

Sep 3rd, '08, 18:36

by Victoria » Sep 3rd, '08, 18:36

I guess what I was getting it is it would be nice to have smaller sample sizes available. And when I said loose bins, I was actually thinking secured cannisters of some type. Not really loose as in a dry goods bin.

Sep 3rd, '08, 19:05

by Pentox » Sep 3rd, '08, 19:05

Victoria wrote:I guess what I was getting it is it would be nice to have smaller sample sizes available. And when I said loose bins, I was actually thinking secured cannisters of some type. Not really loose as in a dry goods bin.
They do have samples, just not some that you could pick and choose, although that would be really nice. I'll send that to them as a suggestion. They do have sampler boxes though which are sets of 10-25-50 samples to try out.

Sep 3rd, '08, 19:27

by rainbow » Sep 3rd, '08, 19:27

jazz88 wrote:GeekgirlUnveiled – very nice image!
Voted 7 I love oolong tea in the afternoon. Just had the last bit of the rose scented black tea I bought at the Huntington Garden,Ca. Drinking it reminded me of the gorgeous rose garden they have. Sigh. Back to work.
Oh, I love the Huntington. I've done research there, and the grounds and gardens are absolutely amazing.

As for oolong, I voted for. I'm perfectly willing to drink oolong, but it's not something I go out of my way to drink. I possibly should have voted 3, but no matter. My general feeling towards oolong is willing to drink it, never crave it.

Sep 3rd, '08, 20:11

by Victoria » Sep 3rd, '08, 20:11

Pentox wrote:
Victoria wrote:I guess what I was getting it is it would be nice to have smaller sample sizes available. And when I said loose bins, I was actually thinking secured cannisters of some type. Not really loose as in a dry goods bin.
They do have samples, just not some that you could pick and choose, although that would be really nice. I'll send that to them as a suggestion. They do have sampler boxes though which are sets of 10-25-50 samples to try out.
Yes, I bought a sampler set.
:)

Sep 3rd, '08, 21:43

by geeber1 » Sep 3rd, '08, 21:43

scruffmcgruff: I missed your photo earlier today ... sweet!

Sep 3rd, '08, 21:51

by leiche » Sep 3rd, '08, 21:51

Great photos, everyone.

10 for me. I tend toward the more oxidized, roasted types, but I love them all. This poll has certainly made me thirsty.

This calls for a fresh cup and maybe one of the scones I baked today.

Sep 3rd, '08, 22:54

by murrius » Sep 3rd, '08, 22:54

Hmmmm. This poll is remarkably close. Too close to call. Clearly oolong brings out the everything in everybody.

Sep 4th, '08, 00:17

by Chip » Sep 4th, '08, 00:17

Finishing off the TeaDay with farmer shincha and karigane blended. Really love this blend. And it helping me get rid of two teas I am not loving.

Very interesting results to both of the crave polls.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!