Thursday TeaDay 9/11/08 Craving other "teas"

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

CRAVE FACTOR for three distinctly different "teas." What is your personal crave factor for Rooibos, and/or Yerbe Mate, and/or Herbals? For 1, 2, or all 3.

10 I cannot resist
2%
9 I realllly realllly crave 'em, even the night before
No votes
8 I realllly crave 'em
4%
7 I certainly crave them
No votes
6 Yep, cravin'
2%
5 Maybe, though crave might be too strong a word
12%
4 I like them, maybe, but not craving them
20%
3 No, I do not crave them
20%
2 Don't really like them
32%
1 Hate them
8%

Total votes: 50

Sep 11th, '08, 17:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Sep 11th, '08, 17:50

Chip wrote: it is my fav of the 4 I got.
Now that is compulsive!

Beidao wrote: Image
Beidao, that is one fabulous high key photo. Very lovely. Jeepers, you're getting good!

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: the ubiquitous "tine shot":
...and people say my clown creeps them out! Aside from my long standing disapproval of gratuitious tine shots without redeeming social value, this is NOT something I would want to run into while snorkeling.* Have you considered turning your talents to the Creeper Features?

*Snork snork!

Sep 11th, '08, 18:05

by Geekgirl » Sep 11th, '08, 18:05

Salsero wrote: Have you considered turning your talents to the Creeper Features?
If you're talking about photos of the buggy variety, I'm afraid I have difficulties in that department. Part of it is a failing in the lenses I own, I don't have a true macro lens, and part of it is that I just don't want to get that close. :lol:

OH! If you want to see some spectacular underwater work, here's the website of a friend of mine. He works down the hall from me, and is semi-retired, travels all over the world to go diving. Jim Christensen Photography. I especially like the galleries from Palau and Indonesia. Wow.

Sep 11th, '08, 18:49

by Salsero » Sep 11th, '08, 18:49

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: If you're talking about photos of the buggy variety
Actually, I was thinking more about the monster movies.

Sep 11th, '08, 18:57

by Geekgirl » Sep 11th, '08, 18:57

Victoria wrote:As TIM mentioned this morning in IM:

"My cab stop at 9:07 this morning on Park Ave. The whole city stopped for a moment of silent. I was peaceful."

I was very glad to hear this and was in awe that a whole city could come together for one quiet moment to remember.

As we all enjoy our tea today, may we each take a quiet moment to remember 9/11.
Thanks for posting this. It was definitely part of my teaday.

(scanned photo from one of my trips to NYC. I stayed in a tiny room in a tiny hotel on the Promenade in Brooklyn. This was about 1999, and was the view from my room. Clicking the picture will take you to an entry on my blog.)

Sep 11th, '08, 19:10

by geeber1 » Sep 11th, '08, 19:10

Hummm me thinks if a couple of Adagio employees (who shall remain nameless) were not drinking up all the AliShan, there might be some for us west coasters!
Agreed, Victoria ... let some of us Westerners in on the action!

Sep 11th, '08, 20:21

by augie » Sep 11th, '08, 20:21

Rooibos, occasionally, when I have trouble sleeping. I have a tin of Rishi Marsala Chai that is tasty with warm milk in the evening. But that is as far on the wild side as I go.

I was running (literaly, on foot) an errand over my lunch hour downtown. Just 1/2 block from UPS was a new tea shop that moved out of it's old location and I thought had just gone out of business. I walked in to find them stocking the shelves with some adagio stuff (ingenuitea, etc . . .) They're not quite ready to open, so i told them to get busy. What could be better than a tea shop opening just a 5 minute walk from your work?

Sep 11th, '08, 21:47

by daughteroftheKing » Sep 11th, '08, 21:47

Hi all,
Finally stopping by to post after a couple of busy work weeks, which make me not want to turn on my computer at home most nights.

Really, really don't like rooibos, and I have yet to try yerba mate. But there are a few herbals I like to use, especially for blending with real tea: peppermint, lavender, rosebuds, and occasionally chamomile.

My tea day started with TKY, then on to Raspberry Green. Our office T@3 on Thursday group re-gathered this afternoon to my favorite tea: Jasmine pearls with a pinch of mint.
Tonight I'm re-steeping the smooth TKY.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Sep 11th, '08, 22:00
Location: curled up with my cats, a good book, and a nice cup of tea

by Cinnamon » Sep 11th, '08, 22:00

I voted an 8 on this one. I do love my rooibos, particularly the Coco-Mint and Cinnamon Apple. Give me a pot of Cinnamon Apple and a few oatmeal raisin cookies to go with a good book and I am a very happy girl.

As for other herbals, I enjoy lemongrass, but I wouldn't call that a craving. I've recently discovered honeybush and have fallen in love with the Vanilla.

~Cin

Sep 11th, '08, 22:13

by Chip » Sep 11th, '08, 22:13

Salsero wrote:
Chip wrote: it is my fav of the 4 I got.
Now that is compulsive!
And pretty out of character for me. But I had wanted a small pot for gyokuro. When I saw these first hand at the Expo and could pick them up, well, I could not resist, what can I say. It is a good thing Reading, PA is completely devoid of Asian teaware stores.

Long Jing, gaiwan, 3 grams per 3 ounces for one minute. I needed this one badly after a tough day followed by a brutal bike ride ... that I really enjoyed. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 11th, '08, 22:20

by Geekgirl » Sep 11th, '08, 22:20

In the interest of non-tea "tea" fairness, I dug through the cupboards for some non-tea. I did not come up empty handed. I discovered a box of Mighty Leaf caffeine-free teabags, (a gift that I haven't yet tried,) and a tin of Teavana's very popular Rooibos Tropica.

So I brewed up a pot. It smells like bubble gum. Tastes kind of fruity, with a slightly annoying aftertaste that is easily dispelled by having a sweet snack. It's better with a wee bit of sugar.

Best part of the non-tea tasting is that I got to use my newest ebay find - a vintage footed dogwood teacup and saucer.

Verdict on the imposter tea? meh. But I can drink it in the evening when caffeine would be a problem, so it's a semi-decent alternative to the big zippo-nada-zilch. :lol:
Last edited by Geekgirl on Sep 11th, '08, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 11th, '08, 22:29

by Chip » Sep 11th, '08, 22:29

Sweet DOGWOOD cup, Geek!

If I had Rooibos around here, I would give it a go in the "interest of TeaFairness" Day! I should have ordered a sample with my Adagio order last night. I should have the new Ali Shan in house tomorrow.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 11th, '08, 23:32

by henley » Sep 11th, '08, 23:32

Geekgirl - Glad you finally found the dogwood cup you were searching for! :wink:

Cool pics today as always. No cravings today. Not a big fan of the herbals since most are too floral for me. Rooibos & Honeybush are okay at best. Only had Mate once but it was pretty good.

Nice to end a busy day w/a cuppa Pouchong.

Sep 12th, '08, 03:50

by Beidao » Sep 12th, '08, 03:50

Salsero wrote:Beidao, that is one fabulous high key photo. Very lovely. Jeepers, you're getting good!
:oops:

I've been photographing for several years (and worked part time as photographer) but I tend to learn one motive at a time. Now I'm starting to manage tea... at least, I hope so! As for "high key", I don't know what it is, but I did pull some buttons to get more flashlight.

I think I'm trying to say something like "Thanx!" :wink:

Sep 12th, '08, 09:22

by Salsero » Sep 12th, '08, 09:22

Beidao wrote: As for "high key", I don't know what it is,
Some google "define:" results

An image that is mainly made up of light tones, with relatively few mid-tones or shadows.

A light image that is intentionally lacking in shadow detail.

A photographic term denoting an image whose average brightness is significantly greater than 50% gray. For example, the proverbial polar bear in a snowstorm, eating an ice cream cone is a well-known example of a high key image

Scene is flooded with light; creates bright and open-looking scene.

Sep 12th, '08, 10:05

by Victoria » Sep 12th, '08, 10:05

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Best part of the non-tea tasting is that I got to use my newest ebay find - a vintage footed dogwood teacup and saucer.
Oh Geek, I like this one better than the Royal Albert!!
Nice find, congrats!