1992 lao Zhu Ni teapots


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

1992 lao Zhu Ni teapots

Postby shogun89 » Oct 5th, '08, 16:21

Hi,

Has anyone had any of these teapots from YSSLC? They seem to be pretty nice for a good price. There are many different styles, here is one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yixing-150ml-Teapot ... m153.l1262
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby cupioneer » Oct 5th, '08, 16:38

check out this post from a couple months ago:

viewtopic.php?t=5993
User avatar
cupioneer
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Aug 1st, '0
Location: Colorado

Postby farley101 » Oct 5th, '08, 16:40

shogun,

I've got two of them that are different styles, a red one and a black one. They are probably the nicest of all my Yixing, but that's really not saying much as I only have 4(so far). They are solid, pretty thick walls, and pour nice and fast. My only complaint is the ball filters that they have. Because of the slight ring of solid clay where the ball is attached to the pot, there is a small amount of liquid that cannot be poured out.

Otherwise they work well and look great too!

Black One

Red One
User avatar
farley101
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Apr 6th, '0
Location: Minnesota

Re: 1992 lao Zhu Ni teapots

Postby wyardley » Oct 5th, '08, 19:15

shogun89 wrote:Has anyone had any of these teapots from YSSLC? They seem to be pretty nice for a good price. There are many different styles, here is one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yixing-150ml-Teapot ... m153.l1262


I have a couple. I know a few people who really like them; I don't really like them much personally, though I haven't used the ones I have yet.

Also I have to say that, like others in the other thread, I am extremely skeptical that they are genuine "lao zhu ni" (even Scott is somewhat careful not to make too strong a claim about them). To me (and I make no claims at all to be an expert here), they don't even seem like what I would consider good fakes.
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 1992 lao Zhu Ni teapots

Postby chrl42 » Oct 12th, '08, 11:25

wyardley wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Has anyone had any of these teapots from YSSLC? They seem to be pretty nice for a good price. There are many different styles, here is one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yixing-150ml-Teapot ... m153.l1262


I have a couple. I know a few people who really like them; I don't really like them much personally, though I haven't used the ones I have yet.

Also I have to say that, like others in the other thread, I am extremely skeptical that they are genuine "lao zhu ni" (even Scott is somewhat careful not to make too strong a claim about them). To me (and I make no claims at all to be an expert here), they don't even seem like what I would consider good fakes.


Indeed, finding Lao Zhuni (Zhao Zhuang that is) is hard. Finding pot is hard and finding clay is extreme.

Just to note ZZ Lao Zhuni went out of sight in 70's.

Other Zhuni come close to ZZ Lao Zhuni's reputation are Huang Long Mt's and Xiao Mei Yao's. Those as well are perceived as 'Lao Zhuni' by public sense.
Xiao Mei Yao mine was closed by 80's and the last mine of Huang Long Mt. was closed in 95.

Maybe Scott could add more info on his Zhuni other than just calling 'Lao Zhuni' :)

My sense is that you can never purchase ZZ Lao Zhuni pot under 100 USD.
User avatar
chrl42
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Mar 22nd, '
Location: Beijing

Re: 1992 lao Zhu Ni teapots

Postby t4texas » Oct 12th, '08, 12:25

wyardley wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Has anyone had any of these teapots from YSSLC? They seem to be pretty nice for a good price. There are many different styles, here is one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yixing-150ml-Teapot ... m153.l1262


I have a couple. I know a few people who really like them; I don't really like them much personally, though I haven't used the ones I have yet.

Also I have to say that, like others in the other thread, I am extremely skeptical that they are genuine "lao zhu ni" (even Scott is somewhat careful not to make too strong a claim about them). To me (and I make no claims at all to be an expert here), they don't even seem like what I would consider good fakes.


Can you be more specific about what you don't like about these pots? I don't have one, so don't have an opinion, but I am curious and would like to have the best picture of your thinking.
User avatar
t4texas
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sep 17th, '
Location: Home, home on the range

Re: 1992 lao Zhu Ni teapots

Postby wyardley » Oct 12th, '08, 13:47

t4texas wrote:Can you be more specific about what you don't like about these pots? I don't have one, so don't have an opinion, but I am curious and would like to have the best picture of your thinking.


Don't get me wrong... these are very nice pots for ~ $30, and I couldn't quite bring myself to sell them during my teapot garage sale, so who knows - maybe I'll change my mind yet. There are no real flaws that I can point out. Enough people who know more than me like them that I'm keeping them around for now.

There's nothing wrong with the way they're shaped, but somehow they still don't look that nice to me in person - maybe they're just *too* perfect. The blending of larger bits of sand and the burnishing of the clay isn't done in a way that's aesthetically pleasing to me, especially on one of the two of these pots that I have.

They are nice and solid and retain heat well, but I find them a little clunky. The number of seals on them boggles my mind - there is one large seal and two small ones on the bottom, plus some calligraphy, a seal under the handle, and two under the lid. If you knock the pot with the lid, the sound is metallic and a little ringing, though maybe not quite musical enough. I am not at all enough of an expert to tell whether what appear to be shrinkage marks on the surface of the pot are actually that. The lid is the tiniest bit loose, but seems maybe like a little too good of a lid fit.

I'm sure they'd look nicer if I started using them and they picked up a shine, but they're a bit on the big side.
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby t4texas » Oct 12th, '08, 14:10

Thanks for clarifying, wyardley. I have not been tempted by them like I have Scott's more expensive ones. I tend to go either the $12 - 25 CTG pot route or above $50 for better ones. Though that Rishi "Tripod" looks interesting.
User avatar
t4texas
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sep 17th, '
Location: Home, home on the range

Postby edkrueger » Oct 12th, '08, 16:17

Do they pass the smell test?

If you dicide to sell them, send me a PM.
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Postby Salsero » Oct 12th, '08, 17:52

I have the F and the D versions of this 1992 LZN series. Will's description of them is extremely accurate and summarizes my feelings, though I might somewhat more emphasize the good points, without denying the negatives.

I wouldn't part with them, but mine have seen little use. The 150 ml size just doesn't fit my gong fu cup size well.

I am thinking maybe I need to start using them for light oolongs since I generally drink larger quantities of the greenish oo. I could decant them into a mug instead of cool teaware.

They really do deserve to be loved and used!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby shogun89 » Oct 12th, '08, 18:40

Salsero wrote:I have the F and the D versions of this 1992 LZN series. Will's description of them is extremely accurate and summarizes my feelings, though I might somewhat more emphasize the good points, without denying the negatives.

I wouldn't part with them, but mine have seen little use. The 150 ml size just doesn't fit my gong fu cup size well.

I am thinking maybe I need to start using them for light oolongs since I generally drink larger quantities of the greenish oo. I could decant them into a mug instead of cool teaware.

They really do deserve to be loved and used!


I'll love AND use them for you! Free of charge! LOL
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby brandon » Oct 12th, '08, 19:18

Despite being somewhat dissatisfied with the build, the LZN "old clay mix" brews pretty good tea. I do not especially like the flush filter. I prefer the ball filter, even though it seems impossible to get the last few drops out of the pot. It is too big, it is too symmetrical, but its still a lot higher quality than some of my other pots. The only one that betters it is from Rishi and roughly the same volume.
User avatar
brandon
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Sep 25th, '

Postby Salsero » Oct 12th, '08, 19:44

Brewing Taiwan green from Verdant Peak at this very moment. It's already starting to glow!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation