Are you new to the world of Puerh - Start here


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Are you new to the world of Puerh - Start here

Postby puerhking » Nov 14th, '08, 16:40

Do you have any of the following questions:

What it Puerh?

What is Sheng (green,uncooked) and Shu (black,cooked) Puerh?

What are some of the top Puerh factories?

What are some of the most notable tea mountains?

What do the 4 digit numbers on some wrappers stand for...like 7542 0611 etc.

You can find the answers to all of this and more on the wikipedia page on Puerh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerh


Documentary on the history of Puerh

http://v.cctv.com/html/documentary/2008/08/documentary_300_20080831_2.shtml

Here are links to other resources for Puerh info including some blogs where you can find reviews:

http://www.the-leaf.org/ The Leaf
http://www.pu-erh.net/ Puerh A Westerner's Quest
http://ancientteahorseroad.blogspot.com/ Ancient Tea Horse Road Blog
http://puerh.blogspot.com/ Bear's Blog
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN MarshalN's Blog
http://afelicificlife.blogspot.com/ Nada's Blog
http://www.houdeblog.com/ Hou De Blog
http://chadao.blogspot.com/ Cha Dao Blog
http://community.livejournal.com/puerh_tea/ LJ Puerh Tea Community
http://half-dipper.blogspot.com/ Hobbes Blog

Here is a list of vendors to obtain Puerh, gaiwans, yixing teapots and other teaware:

Ebay vendors - ship from China 3-5 week for delivery

Yunnan Sourcing

Dragon Tea House

Awazon Tea

Vendors located in the US:

Hou De

Puerh Shop

Vendors located in China:

Royal Puer

Tuocha Tea
Last edited by puerhking on Dec 21st, '08, 14:11, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
puerhking
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Jul 7th, '0
Location: I have no idea

Postby puerhking » Nov 14th, '08, 16:42

If you are new to Puerh I would obtain a gaiwan (150ml) and some cheap tuo's. You may be able to find both at a local Oriental market. Take some time and learn how to brew before you buy expensive Puerh as you may just waste it.
User avatar
puerhking
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Jul 7th, '0
Location: I have no idea

Postby wyardley » Nov 14th, '08, 17:23

Should definitely add a pointer to http://livejournal.com/users/puerh_tea as the first resource under the list of links.

I think it might be wise to remove the vendor links so as not to favor particular vendors. Or at least steal the list that Jason has on the sidebar of the LJ community, which is more comprehensive, and gives an idea of relative pricing.
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby shogun89 » Nov 14th, '08, 17:46

good job puerh king! Mods, could you please sticky this.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby betta » Nov 14th, '08, 18:16

Hi Puerhking, thank you so much for the post :D
User avatar
betta
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Jan 30th, '

Postby Drax » Nov 14th, '08, 22:05

Awesome!

Now it would also be great if experienced pu-erh drinkers would collect recommendations on entry-, mid-, and high-level teas to try? (:

I hadn't known about the "recipe" system, so that was very interesting! One question, I saw a thread around here somewhere where somebody called a "75XX" as being from 2000. (I don't remember specifically what the Xs were). Doesn't that go against the recipe system? Wouldn't it have been 1975? Or in this case did it mean using the recipe method from 1975? Eh? Maybe this wasn't the right place to clarify this question... I don't want to clutter up this thread w/ tangents...
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 14th, '08, 22:11

Drax wrote:Awesome!

Now it would also be great if experienced pu-erh drinkers would collect recommendations on entry-, mid-, and high-level teas to try? (:

I hadn't known about the "recipe" system, so that was very interesting! One question, I saw a thread around here somewhere where somebody called a "75XX" as being from 2000. (I don't remember specifically what the Xs were). Doesn't that go against the recipe system? Wouldn't it have been 1975? Or in this case did it mean using the recipe method from 1975? Eh? Maybe this wasn't the right place to clarify this question... I don't want to clutter up this thread w/ tangents...


Usually recipes like that are numbered as a distinct "recipe" of puerh that were created or first made in a particular year using particular grade material. At least thats how I understand it.
User avatar
PolyhymnianMuse
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: Sandy Run Road, Pennsylvania, USA

Postby sphughes » Nov 15th, '08, 11:13

Yet another nice resource.

+1 on the http://livejournal.com/users/puerh_tea

This is a great source of info.

-Scott
User avatar
sphughes
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Nov 2nd, '0

Postby tony shlongini » Nov 15th, '08, 11:59

sphughes wrote:Yet another nice resource.

+1 on the http://livejournal.com/users/puerh_tea

This is a great source of info.

-Scott


Shouldn't you be out roasting coffee? :lol:
User avatar
tony shlongini
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby Smells_Familiar » Nov 16th, '08, 00:24

Very helpful thread puerhking!

wyardley wrote:Should definitely add a pointer to http://livejournal.com/users/puerh_tea as the first resource under the list of links.

I think it might be wise to remove the vendor links so as not to favor particular vendors. Or at least steal the list that Jason has on the sidebar of the LJ community, which is more comprehensive, and gives an idea of relative pricing.


i think he's done a fine job (as a touchstone). people should definately add as the thread continues.
User avatar
Smells_Familiar
 
Posts: 281
Joined: May 30th, '
Location: indianapolis

Postby puerhking » Nov 16th, '08, 13:20

Thanks guys! I added LJ Puerh to the list.
User avatar
puerhking
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Jul 7th, '0
Location: I have no idea

Postby Cinnabar Red » Nov 17th, '08, 12:42

Thank you all for thinking of us (the totally inexperienced, but want to learn.)

Pu-erh is the one tea that I find intimidating. Not so much the taste, as I've tried a couple of lighter ones which were easy on the newbie. I just wouldn't know what I was buying, or why. The links provided will make good reading.

Salsero lives locally, so I should probably bribe him to help me. Is there any particular Pu that might tempt him?
User avatar
Cinnabar Red
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Oct 13th, '
Location: Florida

Postby Salsero » Nov 17th, '08, 14:05

Cinnabar Red wrote: Is there any particular Pu that might tempt him?
This seems like the next step in constructing our "Intro to Pu" thread": A list of maybe 5-10 sheng pu samples and 5-10 shu pu samples for the beginner to order. Or something like that to get them off and tasting.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby Wassupfrombusta... » Dec 11th, '08, 22:10

most helpful p-king

:mrgreen:
User avatar
Wassupfrombusta...
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Dec 10th, '
Location: Seattle, Washington

Postby Sam. » Dec 12th, '08, 19:47

This is great! I wanted to try to get into pu-erh this Christmas. I'll buy some cheap tuo's. I watched that CCTV show last night, it was very interesting.
User avatar
Sam.
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Jan 27th, '
Location: Houston, TX

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation