getting the sweetness out of houjicha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 15th, '08, 15:23

getting the sweetness out of houjicha

by chingwa » Nov 15th, '08, 15:23

Hello all, first of all while I have been lurking around these boards for a while, I finally registered in search for answers to a problem that has been bugging me for a long time now. Usually when I'm out at a good sushiya or Izakaya for dinner I'm given a nice cup of houjicha with my meal. Now this houjicha must be prepared in a special way, because I have never been able to recreate the natural sweetness and absolute deliciousness of this tea.

All my attempts at home, while good, do not capture the sweetness and lingering aroma I've had at restaurants. I usually get houjicha from Hibiki-an, but currently have their Houjicha-karigane... which I thought would be sweeter (it is, if only just so, but still doesn't approach the golden standard ) ^_^

I've followed the instructions to a T... 2 tablespoons (10 grams) in a heated pot and 300cc of boiling water at 30 seconds. this makes a good tea which has a nice roasted flavor... I've also tried lowering the temperature to 170-165 and and go for 45 seconds. a bit mellower... but no sweeter. I've tried 15 grams as well, to no real change...

can anyone out there offer some sweet houjicha advice that does not involve any sugar or honey additives?

Nov 15th, '08, 15:35

by olivierco » Nov 15th, '08, 15:35

I thought that tea served at sushiya was konacha.

Houjicha karigane or houjicha have quite always a predominant roasted flavor, at least for those I tasted (Hibiki-an, o-cha and ippodo)?

Nov 15th, '08, 18:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 15th, '08, 18:55

Or it could be your choice of houjicha. Some are more predominantly roasted, some are sweeter. I had one that was like sweet nuts, cashews I think.

I would think the more it is roasted it is, the more predominat that characteristic. Could also be the leaf that is used in the roasting.

There are also many ways to "roast." Pan firing tends to be hotter and quicker while baking or other slow roasting might produce a more mellow flavor.

But this is all speculation.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Nov 15th, '08, 21:41

by chingwa » Nov 15th, '08, 21:41

It depends on the restaurant definitely. I've been to many(most restaurants I would say) who prefer to serve the everyday green tea (and the flavor varies as well) every so often though I hit one that does the houjicha. sometimes it's throughout the meal, other times it's after the meal is done. Anyone in New York, I recommend going over to Yakitori Totto and having a few cups of their tea (after the Yebisu and Tsukune of course!), and relaying what you think here. :)

I suppose, it could be the houjicha itself, I never considered the ways of roasting might effect the taste... At this point I think I'll have to just start trying other brands. I hear good things about Ippodo but have never ordered from them... has anyone else experienced this sweet houjicha? or maybe I was just dreaming?

Nov 16th, '08, 18:03

by Pentox » Nov 16th, '08, 18:03

I actually find that a little bit of honey brings out a very nice sweet feeling in hojicha.

Nov 17th, '08, 15:05

by thanks » Nov 17th, '08, 15:05

Den's tea has a fantastic Houjicha, especially for the price. http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... th=108_109

I'm not a fan of Kukicha, so I couldn't recommend their roasted kukicha. To me it tastes like a really dull Smacks cereal. Most people prefer it though, so by all means take my opinion with a grain of salt. They're really cheap also, so it's not much of a tuition if you end up hating them.

Nov 24th, '08, 20:57

by devites » Nov 24th, '08, 20:57

I think Adagio Houjicha is a fantastic offering. It is really sweet, rich, full, and super easy to brew. Also if you are looking for a sweet tea that goes with meals I would suggest Teazone's Keemun English Breakfast which is only 2.50 an oz!

Nov 29th, '08, 00:13

by inspectoring » Nov 29th, '08, 00:13

I would second den's houjicha...it is really amazing....try it - and please follow their recommendations...15 seconds and boiling water...

Dec 1st, '08, 11:14

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Dec 1st, '08, 11:14

With any teas that I brew....if I am not getting the flavor I want/expect or think I should be getting I first start off with changing my brewing temperature and times....try dropping the temp and see if that helps and just play with it for a while.

-Nick (TaiPing)

+ Post Reply