Your favorite green, where is it from?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Where is your favorite green from?

Ceylon
2%
China
31%
India
2%
Japan
64%
Kenya
No votes
Taiwan
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

Nov 16th, '08, 16:41
Scrolling: scrolling

Your favorite green, where is it from?

by Chip » Nov 16th, '08, 16:41

Where is your favorite green from? Please share who, what. when, where, why?

Nov 17th, '08, 02:03

by olivierco » Nov 17th, '08, 02:03

Japan for sure.

Gyokuro Kame Giru Shi (o-cha)
Sencha quite difficult to chose. Miyabi sencha, Kaboku sencha, Kirameki shincha...
Matcha Ippodo Wakamatsu-no-mukashi or Ummon-no-mukashi (but I have so far tried only about eight different matchas)

Nov 17th, '08, 09:16

by Chip » Nov 17th, '08, 09:16

The results so far are blowing my mind, TeaDudes! 8)

Seriously though, when I joined here in April 2006, sencha had a major bad rap, Japanese teas in general. To utter sencha on the IM would result in someone shouting something derogatory.

The times have changed dramatically!!! I think largely due to the availablity internationally for very much improved leaf. We no longer have to accept the leftovers, the dregs.

Oh, Japanese greens rule here. Yutaka Midori, O-Cha, Kagoshima prefecture. A session of this leaf is like a meal!!! I love the deep full flavor of the YM varietal and this is the original and the BEST offering of this leaf anywhere. It has been my fave for 3 harvests running, though 2007 was a harder year. 2008 is an awesome year for it.

"Try once!" :lol:

Nov 17th, '08, 10:03

by stanthegoomba » Nov 17th, '08, 10:03

At the moment I only regularly drink two greens, neither of them straight-up camellia:
1) Genmaicha—so I guess the base for that is sencha?
2) Chinese gunpowder + peppermint

But I did discover a new local Japanese teahouse last week; I suppose I'll go see what all this "matcha" business is about. :twisted:

Nov 17th, '08, 10:26

by kymidwife » Nov 17th, '08, 10:26

I am still a green tea newbie, but so far, there is no comparison for me between Japanese and any other green. I haven't really tried a single non-Japanese green that I'd be inclined to repurchase.

Japan FTW.

And, Happy Green Week... get reusable grocery bags, turn out lights, unplug chargers not in use, and carpool when you can. Green is good.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Nov 17th, '08, 10:36

by Shelob » Nov 17th, '08, 10:36

Touche Sarah, I agree Japanese for the win!!!!! I really do not care for Chinese green either, altho' to be honest, I know I certainly haven't tried many, just didn't like the ones I did.

GREEN is good!!!

Will post later today w/my fave, it is really hard to decide, however I do know it is FUKAMUSHI FTW ALL THE WAY!

Nov 17th, '08, 10:37

by Cinnamon Kitty » Nov 17th, '08, 10:37

Definitely Japan for me. I love sencha. I've only had one bad sencha experience after buying an incredibly cheap one, but the rest of them have been superb. All of the Chinese greens that I have tried pale in comparison to a good Japanese green.

Nov 17th, '08, 11:19

by Chip » Nov 17th, '08, 11:19

Heh, I feel I need to defend Chinese greens a little. They are so often so lovely to behold. A really good Long Jing, I love to spoon it out and the aroma of the dry leaf is sublime and the leaf sets can be beautiful. Tai Ping Hou Kui is an art form unto itself and the brew is remarkable.
I am thinking it requires more of an effort to appreciate Chinese greens, where as the intense flavor and aroma of Japanese greens is right there on the surface waiting to be breathed in, tasted, practically jumping out of the cup.

They are as different as night and day.

Still, at the end of the day, Japanese reigns supreme for me.

Nov 17th, '08, 12:36

by Shelob » Nov 17th, '08, 12:36

Chip wrote:Heh, I feel I need to defend Chinese greens a little. They are so often so lovely to behold. A really good Long Jing, I love to spoon it out and the aroma of the dry leaf is sublime and the leaf sets can be beautiful. Tai Ping Hou Kui is an art form unto itself and the brew is remarkable.
I am thinking it requires more of an effort to appreciate Chinese greens, where as the intense flavor and aroma of Japanese greens is right there on the surface waiting to be breathed in, tasted, practically jumping out of the cup.
Thanks Chip for that 'word picture' Infomercial! I can just see you spooning out that leaf with your audience in awe!

No, seriously, great information in your paragraph, makes me want to try the TPHK, where would be the place to order, any suggestions?

Nov 17th, '08, 12:45

by Salsero » Nov 17th, '08, 12:45

Shelob wrote: makes me want to try the TPHK, where would be the place to order, any suggestions?
TeaSpring's Cha Wang version is good, and you can buy just 50 grams to taste.

Either that or try to sweet talk some from Nick the geologist whose screen name is TaiPing Hou Kui. Come to think of it, he did just say something about finding a year-old, half pound of TPHK in a nitrogen sealed bag that he was willing to trade or share. PM him.

Nov 17th, '08, 17:28

by Drax » Nov 17th, '08, 17:28

I love green tea that produces a green colored liquid. Still haven't tried matcha yet, though, so gyokuro all the way for me! :D

Nov 17th, '08, 18:08
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 17th, '08, 18:08

This vote got me very curious and I googled "kenya green tea" :D It sounds very good and not pricey at all. Got to try it out someday! :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Nov 17th, '08, 18:16

by Victoria » Nov 17th, '08, 18:16

The best tasting Green I have tried so far was Chinese. In fact when I tried it, I thought it was an oolong, a very GREEN oolong. When I re-checked the bag, I found it was actually a Chinese green.

I really have been meaning to investigate more Chinese Greens, but I got very distracted by Nilgiri and now some Whites. Alas!! Too much tea, so little time!!

The one I really enjoyed was:
High Mountain Green - Organic from New Mexico Tea Company

Nov 17th, '08, 23:19

by murrius » Nov 17th, '08, 23:19

Japanese greens. It's a moving target to choose one. Right now I'm smitten by sencha Miyabi from O-Cha.

Nov 18th, '08, 13:50

by auggy » Nov 18th, '08, 13:50

Japan for me - currently I am addicted to Den's guricha. Though I've had a couple of awesome Chinese greens lately that I have adored, they still don't match up to that one.

I really need to expand my Japanese green tea horizons. I just so love Den's offerings.

+ Post Reply