Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 12th, '14, 00:19

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Tead Off » Oct 12th, '14, 00:19

Puerlife wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Thai?
Kyarazen, you have our full attention :D
I think he meant that he got the Puerh from a Thai dealer here in BKK.

Oct 12th, '14, 00:25

by drinking_teas » Oct 12th, '14, 00:25

[quote="Teaism"]
Normally, I brew any tea the guest request, not matter how old, rare or expensive, and the only house rule is "nothing is for sale" so that future guest can enjoy them. Tea is just a tea and the real enjoyment is the experience. /quote]

Absolutely. I brew up anything for guests, and if I'm going to be a guest and we're brewing tea, I always bring good stuff (usually a nice, aged oolong). Although I guess my perspective is different since I live in the west (specifically NY) and I rarely drink tea with others.

Oct 12th, '14, 02:55

by Teaism » Oct 12th, '14, 02:55

drinking_teas wrote:
Teaism wrote: Normally, I brew any tea the guest request, not matter how old, rare or expensive, and the only house rule is "nothing is for sale" so that future guest can enjoy them. Tea is just a tea and the real enjoyment is the experience. /quote]

Absolutely. I brew up anything for guests, and if I'm going to be a guest and we're brewing tea, I always bring good stuff (usually a nice, aged oolong). Although I guess my perspective is different since I live in the west (specifically NY) and I rarely drink tea with others.
Hi,

Great to hear we are on the same page in this. Yes, most of the time, this is the rule of thumb especially for private tea session. Vendor sales tea session is different altogether. As a host and as a guest in private sessions, there are also a lot of unwritten rules and etiquettes. I don't think there is any different in the East and West as far as these unwritten rules or guidelines are concern.

Well, to be in topic, I am drinking a Mangfei Maocha now. Has been doing a lot of exploration in Maocha, tasting heaps of samples from direct source. It is very interesting as the profile is different from compressed cakes although they are the same tea and same batch.

Cheers! :D

Oct 12th, '14, 04:19

by kyarazen » Oct 12th, '14, 04:19

Puerlife wrote: Kyarazen, you have our full attention :D
not necessary for much attention though. thai big tree pu-erh tea. have several samples from a few sources.

brought some of them to gatherings before but no one was interested since everyone was into premium and aged teas so i started drinking them myself :D

Oct 13th, '14, 01:56
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Oct 13th, '14, 01:56

debunix wrote:My problem with Petr's wares is that I like all of the them--snowflake and shino, bizen and tree bark, celadon and clear, magda and grass....
This seems to be a common problem. Maybe we should start a support group

Oct 13th, '14, 13:26

by iGo » Oct 13th, '14, 13:26

TwoDog2 wrote:
debunix wrote:My problem with Petr's wares is that I like all of the them--snowflake and shino, bizen and tree bark, celadon and clear, magda and grass....
This seems to be a common problem. Maybe we should start a support group

I see it now: http://www.petr_novak_teaware_addicts_anonymous.org.

I admit I am powerless over my addiction to petr novak ceramics and my life has become unmanageable.

Maybe we'll all have to meet and drink a lot of coffee in a church basement somewhere.

Oct 13th, '14, 14:25

by debunix » Oct 13th, '14, 14:25

I try to deal with it by regularly preparing or drinking tea from favorite pieces, as regular use has a somewhat immunizing property when then viewing other lovelies online. This helps a little with many aspects of teaware acquisition disorder. It also helps with puerh acquisition disorder, although again with limited success.

I think a session with some nice soothing 2008 bamboo-aged Yiwu may help, brewed up in a small unglazed shibo, and enjoyed from a new cup with a clear 'stone' glaze--may help immunize against yet another click to darjeeling.cz or Yunnan Sourcing.....

Oct 14th, '14, 00:09

by Jaymo » Oct 14th, '14, 00:09

I had 2 today. The first was the 2011 MGH 1105 Mangfei sheng. I tried it in a relatively new yixing. I'm still trying to decide what to use it for. It rounds out raw pu nicely though, so I may stick with that. I like this sheng quite a bit. It's got nice tobacco notes among other things and some balanced "good bitterness." I'll probably be getting more of this next time I place a puerhshop order because I'm looking forward to seeing how it ages, but I also like drinking it now.

The second tea, brewed later in the day, was a sample of Mandala's Noble Mark shu. It's a touch pondy, but not terrible. In other words, I'll happily drink the rest of the sample, but won't be ordering a cake of it.

Oct 14th, '14, 04:06

by Tead Off » Oct 14th, '14, 04:06

Jaymo wrote:I had 2 today. The first was the 2011 MGH 1105 Mangfei sheng. I tried it in a relatively new yixing. I'm still trying to decide what to use it for. It rounds out raw pu nicely though, so I may stick with that. I like this sheng quite a bit. It's got nice tobacco notes among other things and some balanced "good bitterness." I'll probably be getting more of this next time I place a puerhshop order because I'm looking forward to seeing how it ages, but I also like drinking it now.
Is the heavy smokiness acceptable to you?

Oct 14th, '14, 07:52

by Puerlife » Oct 14th, '14, 07:52

Tead Off wrote:
Puerlife wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Thai?
Kyarazen, you have our full attention :D
I think he meant that he got the Puerh from a Thai dealer here in BKK.
Yeah, must be. I've been to teadezhang, the lady near Chong Nongsi Station (sp?) and I know there's also Taeteathai, so I think I've got all the bases covered. There's also a guy in Chiang Mai who knows nothing about puer but sells a Shan wild puer that doesn't taste anything like puer or anything I'd want to drink for that matter. And Emerald Thai Tea sells an eight-year-old "puer" that doesn't taste anything like any puer I've ever had and has zero chaqi, and I've been shown a couple other dusty bings in shops in Doi Mae Salong that looked dubious at best and sound worse when you ask where the trees are. So there, that's what I know about "Thai puer" lol.
But I'll always keep a place in my heart for Ponce de Leon-like optimism. Who knows, maybe a small group of Dai people migrated south hundreds of years ago and planted one tree in impenetrable jungle in what is now a lawless border area, and one day it's somehow wind up in my hands and one sip will make me see clearly the oneness of everything. muwahahahahaha.

Oct 14th, '14, 11:09

by kyarazen » Oct 14th, '14, 11:09

Puerlife wrote: Yeah, must be. I've been to teadezhang, the lady near Chong Nongsi Station (sp?) and I know there's also Taeteathai, so I think I've got all the bases covered. There's also a guy in Chiang Mai who knows nothing about puer but sells a Shan wild puer that doesn't taste anything like puer or anything I'd want to drink for that matter. And Emerald Thai Tea sells an eight-year-old "puer" that doesn't taste anything like any puer I've ever had and has zero chaqi, and I've been shown a couple other dusty bings in shops in Doi Mae Salong that looked dubious at best and sound worse when you ask where the trees are. So there, that's what I know about "Thai puer" lol.
But I'll always keep a place in my heart for Ponce de Leon-like optimism. Who knows, maybe a small group of Dai people migrated south hundreds of years ago and planted one tree in impenetrable jungle in what is now a lawless border area, and one day it's somehow wind up in my hands and one sip will make me see clearly the oneness of everything. muwahahahahaha.
nah. thai origin.
i think there are still a couple of factories producing cakes. you can try find out where the hong tai chang factory is located in thailand. been producing pu-erh from thai, burmese, vietnamese materials ever since the 20-30s probably. stopped for some time in between and appear to have resumed production

Oct 14th, '14, 11:26

by Tead Off » Oct 14th, '14, 11:26

kyarazen wrote:
Puerlife wrote: Yeah, must be. I've been to teadezhang, the lady near Chong Nongsi Station (sp?) and I know there's also Taeteathai, so I think I've got all the bases covered. There's also a guy in Chiang Mai who knows nothing about puer but sells a Shan wild puer that doesn't taste anything like puer or anything I'd want to drink for that matter. And Emerald Thai Tea sells an eight-year-old "puer" that doesn't taste anything like any puer I've ever had and has zero chaqi, and I've been shown a couple other dusty bings in shops in Doi Mae Salong that looked dubious at best and sound worse when you ask where the trees are. So there, that's what I know about "Thai puer" lol.
nah. thai origin.
i think there are still a couple of factories producing cakes. you can try find out where the hong tai chang factory is located in thailand. been producing pu-erh from thai, burmese, vietnamese materials ever since the 20-30s probably. stopped for some time in between and appear to have resumed production
Never heard of or seen a Thai Puerh cake. Can't imagine it being any good.

Oct 14th, '14, 11:48

by Puerlife » Oct 14th, '14, 11:48

Agreed. I don't need a wild goose chase.

Oct 14th, '14, 14:00

by kyarazen » Oct 14th, '14, 14:00

Puerlife wrote:Agreed. I don't need a wild goose chase.
ah. its in chiangmai anyways.
no need to be a goose, their teas are heavily exported down south, maybe its more convenient to buy a piece off the malaysian shelf than to prance around in the large tea trees :)

their early cakes which should be over 80-90 years old now are worth a pretty dime. recently sighted some HTC label cakes, a nice recently made shou cha shown tremendous improvement in its processing technique that there is a very clear "red date" taste

old brand, classical "textbook" record

Oct 14th, '14, 21:43

by Puerlife » Oct 14th, '14, 21:43

http://www.xm-tea.net/shu-puer-hong-tai ... 0-god.html
As is plain to see, this is a product of the Chun Yue company, in Yunnan.
:lol:

+ Post Reply