Thursday TeaDay 11/20/08 TeaSnobbery rating?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Please try to have some fun with this one! In terms of TeaLeaf, please rank your personal TeaSnobbery?

1: pass the Lipton in the Winter and Snapple in the Summer
1%
2: Lipton, no way, I upgraded to Red Rose! ;) or better
1%
3: Loose leaf is looseleaf, beats bags
50%
4: Only quality loose leaf ever makes it to my cup
41%
5: Self-proclaimed TeaSnob, looking down my nose at anything but premo leaf, the best leaf
6%

Total votes: 70

Nov 19th, '08, 23:47
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 11/20/08 TeaSnobbery rating?

by Chip » Nov 19th, '08, 23:47

Good TeaDay everyone. Please share what is in your cup today, all day!

Yesterday responders indicated a wide range of inspirations for starting to officially drink tea. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Please try to have some fun with this one! In terms of TeaLeaf, please rank your personal TeaSnobbery and why?

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone, even if you are a TeaSnob. Bottoms up!

Nov 20th, '08, 00:40

by Victoria » Nov 20th, '08, 00:40

I'm probably somewhere between 3 & 4

But the bottom line is:
Loose leaf is looseleaf, beats bags

But I'm not opposed to a whole leaf bag now and then.
:)

Still I'm really a TeaSnob at heart.

Nov 20th, '08, 00:46

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Nov 20th, '08, 00:46

I am somewhere between 4 and 5.....I wont touch a bag......and I prefer premium Jap. greens and premium whites. The reason I wouldnt vote 5 all the way is becuase some teas that I really like arent necessarily rated as a pinnacle grade.....Speaking of pinnacle grade things....I got my package from Yoshikawa Toru from artisticnippon.com and I had him get me some local sencha.....it is the best sencha I have ever had, hands down. The only problem is, there isnt a single thing in english on the package that I can read...the only thing that I can decipher is the expiration date.

-Nick (TaiPing)

Nov 20th, '08, 00:57

by leiche » Nov 20th, '08, 00:57

A dead-on 3 for me. I drink what I like. Some of my favorite teas are cheap and definitely not high quality.

I do turn to bags for convenience when on the run or visiting friends' houses, though. It keeps me from drinking tons of soda.

Nov 20th, '08, 01:15

1990 Fang Cha Tea Brick

by Salsero » Nov 20th, '08, 01:15

I love bags. Especially the bag that this brick came in.

Nov 20th, '08, 01:17

by Geekgirl » Nov 20th, '08, 01:17

Nice patina on that pot. No matter how much I use mine they are not developing that look. I guess I rinse them too well. :?

Nov 20th, '08, 01:24

by Pentox » Nov 20th, '08, 01:24

Hm, truthfully i'm probably a 3. I like to think i'm more of a 5, but I drink lots of lowend stuff all the time.

Nov 20th, '08, 01:41

by Geekgirl » Nov 20th, '08, 01:41

Between 3-4 for me, more 4 though. I almost never use teabags, unless I am desperate. I have been known to get tea at restaurants. Last time I did that though, I had a stash tea that tasted like dishsoap. blech.

Nov 20th, '08, 01:42

by olivierco » Nov 20th, '08, 01:42

I would say 4, but my relatives would surely say 5.

Yunnan golden tips with my breakfast.

Nov 20th, '08, 01:45

by Pentox » Nov 20th, '08, 01:45

By the way, vote Pentox for English style teacup!

Nov 20th, '08, 01:48

by Rakuras » Nov 20th, '08, 01:48

To date I don't believe I've kept a single blend that required me to measure and steep it like it was a vitally important chemistry project. As such I'm closer to a 2-2.8 yet answered 3 as I enjoy tea, preferring loose to bagged in a large number of cases, but enjoy tea as a flavor and addition to beverages rather than a some refined taste or something like my wine critique of an aunt regards as 'common in all accords'. My rational is such: if I cannot consistently enjoy the tea that I enjoy in a timely, efficient, and more than likely easy manner then its making stabs deeply into my enjoyment level of it. Patience is a forte as is endurance yet the fact that some teas are so testy or must be brewed with an almost excessive amount of precision dissuades me from making the cup again as I am far from some automaton. As such I enjoy easy to prepare items that are flavorful as well as capable of being experimented with. Most spiced or augmented black teas fall into this category as many- like my often over parroted Earl Greys- can be enjoyed just as well at boiling for three minutes as they can at a hundred and sixty degrees for a ten minute steep. I'm a scientist by nature and I do so enjoy the flexible or like multi-capable teas out there even if they are often considered cheap, common, or low-brow as the brow is set by the level of the mind and manners, not the opinions and likings of the person, neh?

In my cup: second day of being tea-less. It was a barren wash with water, milk, and a cola being my drinks throughout studying for an exam yesterday. Luckily I'll be starting off early with likely my Quince tomorrow so it shant be a fully unspent week.
Last edited by Rakuras on Nov 20th, '08, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 20th, '08, 01:49

by kymidwife » Nov 20th, '08, 01:49

Hmmm... I think I am a strong 3 here, probably more like a 3.5. But, if money were no object, I suspect I'd spend less time looking for budget teas and more time trying any and every primo specimen I could lay my hands on. When a person drinks as much tea as I drink every day, every week, all the time... a 5 is not practical. I've spent a ridiculous amount of money on tea this year, even with trying to balance my choices and vendors.

But, I'd probably have spent it on something else anyway!

In my cup tonight.. infusion #4 of Oolong 8 from Adagio... starting to loose it's potency which is a good thing, since it's almost 1am and I need to sleep soon. But it really tastes soooo good; I'd been craving something dark and toasty, and this hits the spot.

Sweet tea dreams to all,

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Nov 20th, '08, 01:51

by Salsero » Nov 20th, '08, 01:51

olivierco wrote: I would say 4, but my relatives would surely say 5.
Your relatives are right!

Nov 20th, '08, 02:15

by omegapd » Nov 20th, '08, 02:15

Gee I wonder who the Red Rose comment was directed to? :lol:

Yup, I'm still enjoying the bags along with the premium stuff. No snobbery here.

EW

Nov 20th, '08, 02:36

by Vulture » Nov 20th, '08, 02:36

I went with a 3. Though I can still enjoy bags, I prefer to drink loose leaf teas. I am not that strong into it though as I just wing it otherwise on tea preparation.

Got my delivery of Harney teas so gonna be trying their Chocolate tea here in a moment.