Look out, green tea fans.....

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 26th, '08, 00:59
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Look out, green tea fans.....

by Salsero » Nov 26th, '08, 00:59

Space Samurai wrote: Yeah, that's what I remember. When I joined there was a lot of talk about oolong, then sencha had its hey day, which received several complaints that we were dominating the forum, and now its all about the pu.
It's a weird social phenomenon. During the green and pu phases there have also been enormous numbers of new recruits with particular interest in the topic of the day ... they bring great excitement and education to the rest of us and they swell the general level of expertise in the forum.

Nov 26th, '08, 01:17

by Trioxin » Nov 26th, '08, 01:17

I've been watching the posts for the past month or so. We've closed the gap by more than 200 posts as of late. Nice to see the forum active.

Nov 26th, '08, 09:53

by Goose » Nov 26th, '08, 09:53

Space Samurai wrote:
Salsero wrote: So, my tentative history of forum heydays:
  • Oolong
    Green
    Puerh
Yeah, that's what I remember. When I joined there was a lot of talk about oolong, then sencha had its hey day, which received several complaints that we were dominating the forum, and now its all about the pu.
"what happens in the "Pu" stays in the "Pu"
:roll:
Jim

Nov 26th, '08, 09:55

by beecrofter » Nov 26th, '08, 09:55

The down side is what fads do to the quality of the product, the past couple of years has born witness to that.
The plus side is that many more people mean our learning curves will shorten if we can seperate the noise from the knowledge.
In the long run we should be able to make a better cup of tea from what ever leaves are placed in front of us.

Nov 26th, '08, 10:59

by brandon » Nov 26th, '08, 10:59

Space Samurai wrote: Yeah, that's what I remember. When I joined there was a lot of talk about oolong, then sencha had its hey day, which received several complaints that we were dominating the forum, and now its all about the pu.
I'm bringing sencha back.

:o

Nov 26th, '08, 12:06

by puerhking » Nov 26th, '08, 12:06

I just hope that the general public doesn't catch on to this thing of ours. :wink:
yes.....the pu'sa nostra. :lol:

once your in.......your in for life!

Nov 26th, '08, 22:28

by Chip » Nov 26th, '08, 22:28

Trust me, I have been watching the gap close very quickly. :twisted: I am excited that there is this incredible enthusiasm for pu-erh and sharing this info here.

Having said that, I do wish there was a little more sharing the wealth of knowledge in other TeaChat forums such as TeaDay regarding pu-erh. I realize that TeaDay is not ready for "pu of the day" type posting, but the more everyone shares about all teas the more diverse everyones' interests become.

Thanks for posting about related teaware topics and pu-erh under TeaWare. 8)

Nov 27th, '08, 05:01

by thanks » Nov 27th, '08, 05:01

Chip wrote:Trust me, I have been watching the gap close very quickly. :twisted: I am excited that there is this incredible enthusiasm for pu-erh and sharing this info here.

Having said that, I do wish there was a little more sharing the wealth of knowledge in other TeaChat forums such as TeaDay regarding pu-erh. I realize that TeaDay is not ready for "pu of the day" type posting, but the more everyone shares about all teas the more diverse everyones' interests become.

Thanks for posting about related teaware topics and pu-erh under TeaWare. 8)
That's a good idea. Get 'em while they're young. I'd say blacks and greens are the "gateway" teas, and then we can get them hooked on the more expensive stuff! We should definitely come up with a cool mascot that's kid-friendly to help push- I mean, spread the word of tea! :twisted:

Nov 27th, '08, 08:08

by brandon » Nov 27th, '08, 08:08

Chip wrote: Having said that, I do wish there was a little more sharing the wealth of knowledge in other TeaChat forums such as TeaDay regarding pu-erh. I realize that TeaDay is not ready for "pu of the day" type posting, but the more everyone shares about all teas the more diverse everyones' interests become.
Chip, how is posting to a thread with a lifespan of 3 days useful? Ignoring the extreme signal-to-noise ratio, TeaDay posts are locked and forgotten almost as soon as you post. Even though they are somewhat unwieldy themselves, I am glad folks post their short notes here sorted by vendor so that we have some hope of finding them again.

Sorry, but if someone wants to read about pu-erh, they can click twice to come in here.

Nov 27th, '08, 10:40

by tony shlongini » Nov 27th, '08, 10:40

thanks wrote:That's a good idea. Get 'em while they're young. I'd say blacks and greens are the "gateway" teas, and then we can get them hooked on the more expensive stuff! We should definitely come up with a cool mascot that's kid-friendly to help push- I mean, spread the word of tea! :twisted:
Hey kid- first one's free.

Nov 27th, '08, 11:31

by shogun89 » Nov 27th, '08, 11:31

Just remember everyone the more you "spread the word" the more popular it becomes the more people buy, prices go up and cakes disappear quicker and small farms start up trying to get in on it and low quality teas get produced just as it happened in 2000. Not that I'm saying we shouldn't try to show people the wonders of pu but I dont think we want to convert them, just my opinion.

Nov 27th, '08, 13:00

by tony shlongini » Nov 27th, '08, 13:00

shogun89 wrote:Just remember everyone the more you "spread the word" the more popular it becomes the more people buy, prices go up and cakes disappear quicker and small farms start up trying to get in on it and low quality teas get produced just as it happened in 2000. Not that I'm saying we shouldn't try to show people the wonders of pu but I dont think we want to convert them, just my opinion.
As someone who would like to buy a second brick of '08 Yiwu Zhengshan Bulang arbor but can't, I'm well aware of this.

Have I mentioned how much everything I bought recently sucks??? :lol:

Nov 27th, '08, 13:22

by puerhking » Nov 27th, '08, 13:22

The surgeon general just came out with a warning about puerh. He said that it can cause obsessive compulsive behavior. Think twice kids. :twisted:

Nov 28th, '08, 13:26

by tony shlongini » Nov 28th, '08, 13:26

And boom goes the dynamite. :lol:

Green tea, we hardly knew ye.

Nov 29th, '08, 15:30

by tony shlongini » Nov 29th, '08, 15:30

Heck, we just blew past 6,000 posts.

+ Post Reply