Adagio's Oolong #40

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 16th, '08, 16:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Dec 16th, '08, 16:23

You also have to account for local economies and general overhead (which ginko touched on). You'll pay more for the same tea in New York City than a small shop in a small town. Companies that undercharge generally don't stay in business, no matter how much the people behind it are in it for the love of tea. If they can't pay the bills and live at least somewhat comfortably then they will be forced to do something else.

In the end it's just like any retail business; there will be good ones and bad ones, which will each find their own niche in the market or else go out of business. Just like any other retail business, though, you just have to stick to the places that are good and help them stay in business :)

Dec 16th, '08, 19:49

by cheaton » Dec 16th, '08, 19:49

Oni.... You have not ordered nor drank tea from Adagio so you're really not qualified to discuss the quality of their tea. I can tell you that you cannot find the quality of tea from other US vendors for the price that Adagio sells their tea. Yes you can probably order directly from China, but personally I'd rather bolster the economy of my own country and pay a few extra bucks to support an american business. Adagio is so compelled to introduce people to the world of tea they saw fit to create a neutral forum for tea newbies and experts to collaborate and discuss their love.

I will say one more time so maybe you'll catch on...... Adagio teas are NOT inferior. They may not be exquisite.... but they are NOT inferior. I will continue to order from them and support their business.

Dec 16th, '08, 19:58

by geeber1 » Dec 16th, '08, 19:58

cheaton wrote:Oni.... You have not ordered nor drank tea from Adagio so you're really not qualified to discuss the quality of their tea. I can tell you that you cannot find the quality of tea from other US vendors for the price that Adagio sells their tea. Yes you can probably order directly from China, but personally I'd rather bolster the economy of my own country and pay a few extra bucks to support an american business. Adagio is so compelled to introduce people to the world of tea they saw fit to create a neutral forum for tea newbies and experts to collaborate and discuss their love.

I will say one more time so maybe you'll catch on...... Adagio teas are NOT inferior. They may not be exquisite.... but they are NOT inferior. I will continue to order from them and support their business.
+1

Dec 16th, '08, 20:49

by kymidwife » Dec 16th, '08, 20:49

+2... couldn't have said it any better Cheaton, thanks.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Dec 16th, '08, 21:50

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 16th, '08, 21:50

kymidwife wrote:+2... couldn't have said it any better Cheaton, thanks.

Sarah
Woohoo +3 (a double whammy from the green tea forum) :twisted:

Dec 16th, '08, 23:08

Re: Adagio's Oolong #40

by tenuki » Dec 16th, '08, 23:08

Ron Gilmour wrote:I don't know much about oolongs, except that I really like Adagio's #40. But I'm not sure what it is. It just says "Formosa oolong." Is it a Bai Hao? What other oolongs should I be trying if I want to branch out from #40?
Our apologies Ron. I tried to answer your question and hope others will now take this opportunity to do so as well...
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Dec 16th, '08, 23:19

by Mary R » Dec 16th, '08, 23:19

+4

I think someone already said "couldn't have said it better." Yeah. A very eloquent defense.

It's been awhile since I've tried Adagio's #8 and #40 (I like greener oolongs), but I think they might be different grades of Bai Hao. I'll PM Christine and ask her to clarify the issue.

Dec 17th, '08, 01:48

by Oni » Dec 17th, '08, 01:48

The whole world is facing serious issues when it comes to agriculture, that is a fact, but we must be consious when buying, in a consumer society our power to buy is a great influence, when you are a constant supporter of a product you are supporting a large group of people who worked on it, please look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNw1PwlNRWk ,
It is sample from ALL IN THIS TEA by Les Blank and Gina Leibrecht, it made me really sad to see that this wonderful natural product that has a soul of its own, how it falls under the great pressure of economic interest. Our natural enviroment is far more important than national economics, it is as if somebody asked you :
Which do you choose, you want to be wealthy but with a terminal disease, or you want to be poor but very healthy, I think everybody would choose the last statement. Eat at McDonalds or make a goat cheese french salad?

Dec 17th, '08, 11:41

by edkrueger » Dec 17th, '08, 11:41

Oni wrote:The whole world is facing serious issues when it comes to agriculture, that is a fact
How is that a fact? Its so vague, I'm not sure you can call the a fact. If its an issue that the production of food is increasing faster than the human population, than that a fact. If its an issue that the worldwide price index of food is almost half what it was 1960, then that is an issue. Basically, agriculture is facing serious issues only if not starving is an issue. There are some issues, but they are not really agricultural. Ethanol and other biofuel subsides are issues because they are making food more expensive and thus causing more people to starve or suffer malnutrition.
Our natural enviroment is far more important than national economics
I'm not sure what national economics is, but of course our world wide economics is more important than our natural environment. Our economic situation is measured by the choices we have and having choice gives us the ability to be happy and healthy. When there is a conflict between human happiness and environmental health, I'll choose humanity every time.
Which do you choose, you want to be wealthy but with a terminal disease, or you want to be poor but very healthy, I think everybody would choose the last statement.
This choice is a strawman. Where is the conflict between healthy and wealthy? Unless you can prove a conflict, I think a better question would be: Would you rather be wealthy and well fed or poor and starving. Its quite a miracle that people get terminal diseases, it used to be that they would starve before tadhey h the chance. Poor and healthy almost never go together. I'd be amazed if someone actually doubted this. However, I will answer you question: I'd rather be rich with terminal disease than poor and healthy, because living is not the point of live, achieving or flourishing is and that can only be done in an environment with choices. [/quote]

Dec 17th, '08, 12:46

by Oni » Dec 17th, '08, 12:46

Mindless exploit of natural resources can make you wealthy, but it also destroys your enviroment and finally all the human race will suffer, for example in china there are "lighter" law governing agriculture, and as the article shows they use dangerous chemicals without second thought, another example is that germany doesn`t allow some teas from the east because of this.
My town produces pesticides and artificial fertilizer, the factory produces amoniac and lets it freely to our atmosphere, sometimes our sky is purple and the air stinks and it is unbreadable, every year this factory is sanctioned they pay the fee and keep on going, because people are buying their stuff and further destroying the plants and the soil by using it, it is a viscious circle that goes on everywhere, but my towns folks around 200.000 peoples life expectancy is lower.
Our natural enviroment is far more important than national economics
I'm not sure what national economics is, but of course our world wide economics is more important than our natural environment. Our economic situation is measured by the choices we have and having choice gives us the ability to be happy and healthy. When there is a conflict between human happiness and environmental health, I'll choose humanity every time.

Our winters are becoming warmer, our food has no vitamins, nor taste, if this situation agravates we won`t be happy.
Philosophycally speaking we should make decision in the name of our whole human race, we have one lifetime to live, but I want to have children and I want my children to have children too, and I want them to live, I wouldn`t like too see them breathing smog and facing another ice age, because of economic interest.

Dec 17th, '08, 12:59

by Oni » Dec 17th, '08, 12:59

P.S. Oil will run out in 40 years aproximately, so the global economics will face disaster, there will ultimately be wars, I don`t know how long will you be happy edkruger. Did you know that USA is among the leat concerned country when it comes to enviromental issues, and they didn`t take part in any international convention, and statistically it is the country that produces the most CO2 in the world, and one of the most poluted countrys in the world, no wonder you are less informed about these, and I learned this from an american teacher I had in school, he was with the peace core.

Dec 17th, '08, 13:46

by edkrueger » Dec 17th, '08, 13:46

Come on, Oil will never run out, at some point the costs of drilling will exceed the benefit of oil and a substitute will be found. Just like how whale oil was replaced with kerosene (an oil product.)
Did you know that USA is among the leat concerned country when it comes to enviromental issues
No, I did not know this because it is false. The most poluting countries per capita tend to be the small ones. Of course, I'm not counting CO2 as a pollutant, because if it does contribute to global warming, the relation is logarithmic and we are close to the asymtope already.
statistically it is the country that produces the most CO2 in the world
Wrong! Check your facts. I'm looking up everything I think is a fact before I post it. Per Capita the United is number 10.
I learned this from an american teacher I had in school, he was with the peace core.
Shocking! I guess you can't believe everything you hear from the peace corps!
Last edited by edkrueger on Dec 17th, '08, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 17th, '08, 14:09

by Space Samurai » Dec 17th, '08, 14:09

Since this thread has been hijacked and is going no where productive, just a reminder about forum rules:
Hey TeaChatters; Newbies and Veterans!

1. Please remember that this is a forum dedicated to the discussion of tea and all other related items; teaware, tearooms, ready-to-drink, tea and food, etc. Please limit non-tea discussion to the 'Other' Forum on the very bottom, or in the IM box to the right, if you must.

3. Posts or private messages that attack or harass other members or moderators are not permitted. No spamming within the forum.

4. Posts that contain offensive language, inappropriate sexual, political, or religious opinions, or condone illegal activities are not permitted and will be removed. Posting any portrayal of human nudity in the form of photos or links will be dealt with strongly and swiftly. This also applies to the chatroom. AKA- don't be a jerk.

Dec 17th, '08, 14:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 17th, '08, 14:49

Yeah, please take this discussion to a private message or Jerry Springer.

Moving on ... thanks!
:D

Dec 17th, '08, 15:16

by edkrueger » Dec 17th, '08, 15:16

I'm just annoyed then people have come to teachat and spread unfounded accusations –in this case against Adagio, non-organic farming, freedom and humanity.

+ Post Reply