Best Japanese Teas

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 15th, '08, 23:38

Best Japanese Teas

by devites » Dec 15th, '08, 23:38

I know this has been done many time, but once more can't hurt.
What are the best
Fukamushis?
Asamushis?
Overall Senchas?
Gurichas?
Genmaichas?
Hojichas?
Matchas?
Gyokuros?

Dec 16th, '08, 01:57

by Oni » Dec 16th, '08, 01:57

Someone who knows about japanese teas wouldn`t ask this quastion.

Dec 16th, '08, 02:14

by olivierco » Dec 16th, '08, 02:14

Oni wrote:Someone who knows about japanese teas wouldn`t ask this quastion.
Kind of rude answer. :(

Dec 16th, '08, 02:57

by kymidwife » Dec 16th, '08, 02:57

Oni, I heartily disagree with that generalization. Even the most experienced tea-drinkers I have met here are open to the opinions of others, and still find they can learn something new.

Someone who knows Japanese teas very well might be interested in the diverse opinions of our little tea family here... thus prompting such a question.

Or...

Someone who doesn't know Japanese teas at all might ask the question hoping for a kind, thoughtful, warm-hearted, valuable, informative response.

I don't understand the need to try to shut down someone's quest for information.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Dec 16th, '08, 03:04

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 16th, '08, 03:04

kymidwife wrote:Oni, I heartily disagree with that generalization. Even the most experienced tea-drinkers I have met here are open to the opinions of others, and still find they can learn something new.

Someone who knows Japanese teas very well might be interested in the diverse opinions of our little tea family here... thus prompting such a question.

Or...

Someone who doesn't know Japanese teas at all might ask the question hoping for a kind, thoughtful, warm-hearted, valuable, informative response.

I don't understand the need to try to shut down someone's quest for information.

Sarah
I totally agree. This entire board is for sharing information and asking questions. Since tea differs greatly from year to year (and it many cases harvest to harvest) it is a question even the most veteran japanese tea drinkers would ask, instead of dishing out the money to try every single one.

Dec 16th, '08, 03:04

by Oni » Dec 16th, '08, 03:04

Everybody knows the 3 category bancha, sencha, gyokuro and matcha, there are many breeds and mixtures, it was like asking which is better red wine or white wine or rose, there are a lot within these classification, but a wine cunnosier wouldn`t ask this question.

Dec 16th, '08, 03:08

by kymidwife » Dec 16th, '08, 03:08

I can only anticipate that anyone who feels this topic is useless will just ignore the remainder of the thread, rather than belittle the person who asked the question. Luckily, none of us are forced to read or contribute to anything we don't find worthwhile. :wink:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Dec 16th, '08, 03:10

by boywoodhe » Dec 16th, '08, 03:10

VERY Rude Oni! :shock:
Why dont you go to your corner and drink your tea. :roll:

Dec 16th, '08, 03:12

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 16th, '08, 03:12

Oni wrote:Everybody knows the 3 category bancha, sencha, gyokuro and matcha, there are many breeds and mixtures, it was like asking which is better red wine or white wine or rose, there are a lot within these classification, but a wine cunnosier wouldn`t ask this question.
Maybe its just my own little crazy mind, but I slowly grow tired of people comparing tea to wine. I understand the connoisseur aspect of it, but I just don't dig it. Wine is lovely and I wouldn't dare say otherwise, I just don't see much in common between tea and wine beyond being drinkable liquids.

*Queue for someone to suggest I'm just not drinking good wine :lol: *

At any rate, I believe devites was asking specific types of these teas, perhaps from specific farms/vendors/etc. instead of just a basic red/white/rose suggestion. In the vocabulary of the wine world, we're looking for the good "labels" rather than types.

Dec 16th, '08, 03:25

by Oni » Dec 16th, '08, 03:25

"He asked what are the best"

Dec 16th, '08, 03:32

by Pentox » Dec 16th, '08, 03:32

Asking what are the best is a hard question to answer. It's much easier to say what your favorite is, or the best you've had this year, or any other number of more quantified questions. "the best" is somewhat arbitrary.

Regardless here's my answers for this year as my fav
Fukamushis? - Nothing truly outstanding comes to mind. Chiran Yutakamidori from O-cha or Lupicia are both up there, Lupicia's is less of a fuka.
Asamushis? I have a problem differentiating asa vs chu. Hard to label one here.
Overall Senchas? - Sugimoto USA Sencha
Gurichas? - Nothing outstanding comes to mind
Genmaichas? - Sugimoto USA Genmaicha
Hojichas? Toss up between O-cha's Houji and Sugimoto's Houji. I hope to do a side by side.
Matchas? Koyama -en Eiju
Gyokuros? - Yame Gyo Vil Hoshino from Bassaro

Dec 16th, '08, 03:39

by Oni » Dec 16th, '08, 03:39

Have you ordered from Marukyu Koyamaen?

Dec 16th, '08, 03:44

by Wesli » Dec 16th, '08, 03:44

I'm sorry Devites, but I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking what the best individual teas are for each category, such as fukamushi Maki from Den's, Supreme from O-cha? Or more along the lines of which regions/strains are best for each?

And Oni.... :roll:

Dec 16th, '08, 03:53

by Pentox » Dec 16th, '08, 03:53

Oni wrote:Have you ordered from Marukyu Koyamaen?
Not directly, I know a place that imports it though.

Dec 16th, '08, 03:58

by Oni » Dec 16th, '08, 03:58

I was planning to order a few of their teas, I read good things about them, and Eiju was priced at the all japan tea competition, and 4 of their matchas were prized this year, they also enter with their sencha and gyokuro too, they sure are in the big legue when it comes to Uji tea.

+ Post Reply