Golden Moon Sencha green tea (opinions?)

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 27th, '08, 01:08

Golden Moon Sencha green tea (opinions?)

by AlexTheGreat » Dec 27th, '08, 01:08

Have any of you people tried Golden Moon Sencha green tea before? If so, what are your opinions on it?

Here's a link to the tea: (Mod edit by C., link deleted, see forum rules under Introduction)

I'm a 'noob' when it comes to tea, so I'm not sure if this would be a good type of tea to get or not.

If any of you have tasted this tea before, let me know what you thought of it.
Thanks.

Dec 27th, '08, 01:54

by Pentox » Dec 27th, '08, 01:54

Hm, haven't had that one specifically, but I would be wary of any tea company's sencha where Japanese style green tea consists of less than 10% of their offerings.

Dec 27th, '08, 09:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 27th, '08, 09:04

Not interested, tbh, in trying such a nondescript sencha. Not even info whether it is 1st, second, etc flush which tells me it is not first flush.

At that price, you could do much better for a second flush somewhere else. The site reads like a propaganda rag...

Dec 28th, '08, 22:38

by AlexTheGreat » Dec 28th, '08, 22:38

I went ahead and ordered a 1/2 pound bag of the Sencha from Golden Moon.

I definitely agree with you guys by saying that it's somewhat foolish of that site to not include technical details on their tea. I'd decided to order the tea from that site for a few reasons:

. I am a beginner, and that Sencha is most likely a mediocre/good tea which will at least let me experience (and get accustomed to) the flavor of Sencha.

. I only had to spend a few extra dollars to get eight ounces (1/2 pound) instead of the three ounce can, so if it's alright stuff (which it might be), I will be in luck.

I was very close to ordering the Uji Gyokuro "Yume no Ukihashi" from O-Cha to start with the best-of-the-best of green teas, but that wouldn't have lasted me very long. It being one of the highest quality teas you can buy makes it very expensive.

I figured that I'd just go with a cheaper Japanese Sencha rather than Gyokuro to see what I'd think. Even if the stuff from Golden Moon is mediocre/good at best, I'm sure that it will be better than any loose tea you can purchase from a grocery store.

My next purchase will either be from DensTea, O-Cha or Adagio. If you can recommend other places to purchase Japanese green tea, or other teas in general (black, white, oolong, Pu-Ehr), let me know.

Thanks.

Dec 28th, '08, 23:22

by Salsero » Dec 28th, '08, 23:22

I would suggest sticking with sencha for a while to get to know it before venturing into gyokuro.

Dec 29th, '08, 01:41

by Pentox » Dec 29th, '08, 01:41

Salsero wrote:I would suggest sticking with sencha for a while to get to know it before venturing into gyokuro.
Wise words from one who has ventured the path of the big G.

Dec 29th, '08, 02:51

by Wesli » Dec 29th, '08, 02:51

It being one of the highest quality teas you can buy makes it very expensive.
What makes you think it's the highest quality?

The best of the best or some crummy unkown sencha? Doesn'y make any sense to me... :?

Dec 29th, '08, 04:06

by olivierco » Dec 29th, '08, 04:06

AlexTheGreat wrote:I went ahead and ordered a 1/2 pound bag of the Sencha from Golden Moon.
For the same price you could have bought 100gr of high quality sencha from hibiki-an, o-cha, zencha... Moreover 1/2 pound is too much because japanese greens won't stay fresh too long.

Dec 29th, '08, 04:58

by Jack_teachat » Dec 29th, '08, 04:58

From the site...
This is the best sencha tea and the best green... - ...tea I have ever tasted.It is high quality and it has a wonderful grassy taste.

Tara (06/11/2007)
Well at least Tara liked it! :lol:

Seriously though, let us know how you get on and welcome to the forum!

Jack :D

Dec 29th, '08, 11:47

by Pentox » Dec 29th, '08, 11:47

olivierco wrote:
AlexTheGreat wrote:I went ahead and ordered a 1/2 pound bag of the Sencha from Golden Moon.
For the same price you could have bought 100gr of high quality sencha from hibiki-an, o-cha, zencha... Moreover 1/2 pound is too much because japanese greens won't stay fresh too long.
Assuming it is fresh.

Dec 31st, '08, 17:35

by britt » Dec 31st, '08, 17:35

Well, Alex the Great, you have to start somewhere and regardless of whether or not this turns out to be a good purchase, at least you've gotten started. Tea involves a learning process and often mistakes are made, but that's how we improve. The subject can be very complicated for those who really get into it. Tea can also be enjoyed with much less fuss by casual tea drinkers but beware; many casual starters ended up as genuine tea addicts!

Dec 31st, '08, 18:08

by Chip » Dec 31st, '08, 18:08

Good luck with your purchase, and as Britt said, you have to start somewhere.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 6th, '09, 22:46

by AlexTheGreat » Jan 6th, '09, 22:46

I received my tea today. It got delivered a lot quicker than I imagined it would.

How did I like the tea?:

I'm quite impressed with the tea, but then again, I've not compared it to anything else yet. I wish one of you folks would have tried it out to tell me your opinion(s) on it, but I will eventually have to do that myself I guess.

It's drinkable, very tasty and overall the best tasting tea I've ever had. Remember though, I'm still a 'noob' when it comes to tea, and (like the masses), have never purchased high-end teas online before.

I won't say "Golden Moon Teas are the best!" yet, but I'll at least say that I'm not disappointed, so I'll consider this tea as being 'good' since I've not tried any other kinds of Sencha out yet.

Will I purchase Sencha green tea from Golden Moon again in the future?:

It depends.

If I try out some teas from other online vendors that I feel are on par with this Sencha (but more expensive), I will possibly get this Sencha instead as a cheap alternative that is suitable for everyday drinking.

Jan 7th, '09, 02:26

by Pentox » Jan 7th, '09, 02:26

Sounds like this would be aptly accorded as the best sencha that you've had so far. The key to this obviously being the "so far".

Jan 7th, '09, 03:29

by AlexTheGreat » Jan 7th, '09, 03:29

Pentox wrote:Sounds like this would be aptly accorded as the best sencha that you've had so far. The key to this obviously being the "so far".
:lol:

Yeah, my high-end tea-tasting quest has just begun. This stuff compares quite well though to all the generic teabag sh*t I've drank in my life though. :wink:

+ Post Reply