bug poop tea...?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 10th, '09, 10:57

bug poop tea...?

by odarwin » Jan 10th, '09, 10:57

hi guys!

ive noticed in some of the blogs recently that there are is a so called "bug poop tea"
apparently thats what bugs leave behind after they eat the tea leaves....
its my first encounter with this sort of thing, and i assume that its pu erh tea cakes that they munch on....

http://afelicificlife.blogspot.com/
http://www.xanga.com/marshaln

so whats it all about? how can we protect our tea cakes in storage from these bugs?
should this be cause for concern?

thanks!
-darwin

Jan 10th, '09, 12:31

by wyardley » Jan 10th, '09, 12:31

Think of it as a feature, not a bug.

Guang had some information about it on the Hou De site a while back - he was selling some cakes with the bug poop (though not the bugs) in them.

I've only had the pu poo tea once... brewed pretty weak through a strainer. I didn't really notice its effects that strongly, but the color of the brew I tried didn't come out anywhere near as dark as the one that Tim and Marshaln had.

I don't think the bugs exist in the west; not sure about the Philipines, though. I would guess that they're confined to a pretty small geographic area.

Jan 10th, '09, 18:06

by tony shlongini » Jan 10th, '09, 18:06

Mmmm....... bug poop.

Jan 11th, '09, 18:16

by JAS-eTea Guy » Jan 11th, '09, 18:16

Oh now, I would have to say that is just disgusting if it were not for the heavenly bird poop coffee and another coffee that an animal regurgitates after swallowing the beans. The wonders never end!
Good tea drinking,
Steve

Jan 11th, '09, 18:37

by andy825 » Jan 11th, '09, 18:37

You mean the coffee beans the civet cats poop out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

I know its just my squeamish western sensibilities talking, but I'm really not interested in eating (or drinking) anything that has been pooped out by my fellow creatures. More for you all, I guess...

Jan 12th, '09, 10:12

by odarwin » Jan 12th, '09, 10:12

thank for all your replies,

but what are those bugs really?
are they harmful to the tea?
is it like a parasite that we have to look out for or is it something thats considered good to have with aging teas?

-darwin

Jan 12th, '09, 10:23
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 12th, '09, 10:23

odarwin wrote:thank for all your replies,

but what are those bugs really?
are they harmful to the tea?
is it like a parasite that we have to look out for or is it something thats considered good to have with aging teas?

-darwin
Mostly happen to cooked puerh in very wet storage spaces. They eat tea leaves and die.... : P

Jan 12th, '09, 14:38

by andy825 » Jan 12th, '09, 14:38

Is it a beetle, or a larva of some sort? And if they die, are there bug parts in the tea, too?

Jan 12th, '09, 15:04

by tony shlongini » Jan 12th, '09, 15:04

andy825 wrote:You mean the coffee beans the civet cats poop out?

I know its just my squeamish western sensibilities talking, but I'm really not interested in eating (or drinking) anything that has been pooped out by my fellow creatures. More for you all, I guess...
I haven't tried the uberexpensive kopi luwak, but I've had the Brazilian Jacu coffee, similarly processed by a bird. It was one of the best coffees I ever tried.

I'd suggest you steer clear of bird's nest soup. You'll never touch a tuo again. :lol:

Jan 12th, '09, 22:09

by odarwin » Jan 12th, '09, 22:09

hi tim! thanks for your reply,

with what you said as "only happens in very wet stored cooked cakes..."
would it be a safe indicator that your storage conditions are still acceptable if you dont find these bugs on your cakes? (meaning your storage environment is not wet?)
or are there other factors involved?

-darwin

Jan 12th, '09, 22:40
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 12th, '09, 22:40

odarwin wrote:hi tim! thanks for your reply,

with what you said as "only happens in very wet stored cooked cakes..."
would it be a safe indicator that your storage conditions are still acceptable if you dont find these bugs on your cakes? (meaning your storage environment is not wet?)
or are there other factors involved?

-darwin
If your environment is kept in roughly around 50s-75% humidity, these buggy will not occur. Unless some of your bings are infected/contaminated already before your purchase. Most of these bugs are from the vendor/factory storage, which they kept it in a prolong humid level to speed up the value....

My poop pu was purchased as a sample or specimen. Once I owned it, it was vacuum sealed and reseal every time I share : P
tony shlongini wrote:
andy825 wrote:You mean the coffee beans the civet cats poop out?

I haven't tried the uberexpensive kopi luwak, but I've had the Brazilian Jacu coffee, similarly processed by a bird. It was one of the best coffees I ever tried.

I'd suggest you steer clear of bird's nest soup. You'll never touch a tuo again. :lol:
The Jacu and kopi coffee is one of the best coffee I ever tasted, of course, beside the Blue Mountain Jamaican May harvest. BTW, good bird's nest is one of the most heavenly dessert, specially the 1st spring harvest, true ocean caves one from Indonesia which can cost up $250US per 7g.

Jan 13th, '09, 01:00

by tony shlongini » Jan 13th, '09, 01:00

TIM wrote:good bird's nest is one of the most heavenly dessert, specially the 1st spring harvest, true ocean caves one from Indonesia which can cost up $250US per 7g.
Back when I was, ahem, single, I would scour the Asian markets in search of exotic ingredients. I would routinely make abalone, shark fin, and bird's nest soup. People would love it, as long as you didn't tell them it was essentially lark vomit.

Jan 13th, '09, 08:03
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 13th, '09, 08:03

tony shlongini wrote:
TIM wrote:good bird's nest is one of the most heavenly dessert, specially the 1st spring harvest, true ocean caves one from Indonesia which can cost up $250US per 7g.
Back when I was, ahem, single, I would scour the Asian markets in search of exotic ingredients. I would routinely make abalone, shark fin, and bird's nest soup. People would love it, as long as you didn't tell them it was essentially lark vomit.
You eat good back than, Tony : ) If you tell your lady friends the birds nest is swallow's kisses instead of solidified saliva or shrimp paste vomit, plus can turn any skin and hair 10 yrs younger.... topping it, the tap's on you... oh my, you are popular : P

Jan 13th, '09, 12:35

by wyardley » Jan 13th, '09, 12:35

All sound less gross to me than harsmar. Mmmmm frog fallopian tubes.

Jan 13th, '09, 13:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 13th, '09, 13:33

I knew I'd find it eventually.... here's more discussion (and info) on poop-tea, including a poll! :D

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... =worm+poop

+ Post Reply