Dangers of Pu-erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 19th, '09, 19:02

by tony shlongini » Jan 19th, '09, 19:02

scruffmcgruff wrote:That's why I only drink grain alcohol and tea brewed in rain water.
:lol:

Jan 19th, '09, 19:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 19th, '09, 19:43

shogun89 wrote:
netsurfr wrote:I liked the guys comment about the problem of stabbing yourself and bleeding all over your pu-erh cake/brick.
Haven't done that one yet. . . . :lol:
Maybe not, but you're the one that drank the moldy pu!

Jan 19th, '09, 19:55

by Drax » Jan 19th, '09, 19:55

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote:
netsurfr wrote:I liked the guys comment about the problem of stabbing yourself and bleeding all over your pu-erh cake/brick.
Ooh, that's right. I recently read that entire thread again, and I highly recommend it for some good entertainment -- it reads really well as a suspense story.

I was drinking some non-moldy/spore pu-erh while reading it, too.

Jan 19th, '09, 22:19
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 19th, '09, 22:19

Removed comments on arsenic contamination in teas because it really entails a longer dialog on the benefits of tea polyphenols that bind arsenicals as well as serving as source of arsenic contamination, but this occurs only in select areas of China, in older, low quality teas.

For the most part, largest risk lies in pathogenic mold exposure and to a more limited extent, in aggregate fluoride exposure, where background levels of natural fluoride OR higher levels of water supply fluoridation PLUS really high concentrations in toothpaste and mouthwash contribute to excess total fluoride intake.
Last edited by Intuit on Jan 19th, '09, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 19th, '09, 22:33

by thanks » Jan 19th, '09, 22:33

You should also remember that when referring to zhuan cha with high levels of fluoride, they're almost always referring to tea meant for Tibetan export, namely stuff like this; http://cgi.ebay.com/Brotherhood-Brand-T ... ILF:US:101

Also I think (although I'm obviously no expert) that the dangerous mycotoxins produced through moldy pu'er are obviously spotted. Usually associated with any spores that are not white in color. The yellow spores produce the most dangerous mycotoxin that is an extremely potent ( I think even the strongest natural) naturally occurring hepatocarcinogen. Also, the side effects of mycotoxicosis are many, and all extremely terrifying.

Jan 19th, '09, 22:40
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 19th, '09, 22:40

Aluminium and fluoride contents of tea, with emphasis on brick tea and their health implications. Toxicol Lett. 2003 Jan 31;137(1-2):111-20.

Tea plant takes up a large quantity of aluminium (Al) and fluoride (F) from acidic soils. It has been known that fluorosis can be developed for people who consume a large quantity of tea made from brick tea, a low quality tea consisting mainly of old tea leaves in China. In addition, it has been claimed that Alzheimer's disease (AD) is linked with the Al content in the human brain. Therefore, the high Al content in tea, especially brick tea is also a concern. This article reviews the basis background on tea including classification, growth conditions, types of tea leaves and their production, and processing of tea. Special emphasis is made on the transfer of Al and F from soil to tea plant and then to tea liquor. Health implications of drinking a large quantity of tea liquor especially those made from brick tea are discussed. Recommendations are suggested to reduce the uptake of these two elements by tea plant, and lower their contents in tea products.

However, a number of studies have shown that it's black tea that apparently takes up the most fluoride, released from longer infusion times (although extended multiple infusions may increase exposure from green teas).

Aluminium and fluoride concentrations of three tea varieties growing at Lantau Island, Hong Kong. Fung KF, Zhang ZQ, Wong JW, Wong MH. Environ Geochem Health. 2003 Jun;25(2):219-32.

The present project aims to investigate aluminium (Al) and fluoride (F) contents in teas (Camellia sinensis (L.) O. Kuntze). Three different commercial tea varieties: Assam variety and two China sub-varieties, a large leafed variety and small leafed variety, were collected in two tea gardens of Lantau Island tea plantation of Hong Kong. In general, high concentrations of Al and F were accumulated in the mature leaves (15.3 and of 2.07 g kg-1 respectively). Among the three varieties, 'the small leafed' variety exhibited the highest Al and F contents followed by the 'large leafed' variety whereas the Assam variety had the lowest Al and F concentrations in its tea bushes. Tea products from a plantation were also analysed and it was noted that black tea had higher Al and F concentrations than green tea. The amount of Al and F released into tea liquor was also tested and the results showed that higher concentrations of Al and F were released into tea liquor under repeated infusion method than continuous infusion method.

Jan 19th, '09, 23:08

by shogun89 » Jan 19th, '09, 23:08

Drax wrote:
Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote:
Ooh, that's right. I recently read that entire thread again, and I highly recommend it for some good entertainment -- it reads really well as a suspense story.

I was drinking some non-moldy/spore pu-erh while reading it, too.
Hehe, glad you enjoyed it. I dont believe it was mold though, I think it is just that kinda yellowish tea dust that we find in many lower quality blended cakes. Either way the brew was delicious and I am still living. Hehe :D :D :D

Jan 20th, '09, 00:06

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 20th, '09, 00:06

Intuit wrote:In addition, it has been claimed that Alzheimer's disease (AD) is linked with the Al content in the human brain. Therefore, the high Al content in tea, especially brick tea is also a concern.
Claimed but not proven. There is no conclusive evidence showing a link between Al consumption and Alzheimer's disease, nor is there anything to prove that Alzheimer's isn't the cause of the Al plaque buildup instead of the other way around.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jan 20th, '09, 00:17

by teakid » Jan 20th, '09, 00:17

I cut down drinking young sheng significantly (from 5 times to 0-2 times a week) after about a year of drinking the stuff. The reason is I started feeling sharp pinchy pains in my chest that comes and goes, and was starting to occur more frequently like once or twice a week. I thought I was getting a heart attack, which is pretty scary. I know 2 other people that have the same experience and have cut back on young sheng quite a bit as well. I haven't been getting the pain ever since 3 months ago when I drank less of the stuff.

Anyone out there have the same experience?

Jan 20th, '09, 01:02

by devites » Jan 20th, '09, 01:02

teakid wrote:I cut down drinking young sheng significantly (from 5 times to 0-2 times a week) after about a year of drinking the stuff. The reason is I started feeling sharp pinchy pains in my chest that comes and goes, and was starting to occur more frequently like once or twice a week. I thought I was getting a heart attack, which is pretty scary. I know 2 other people that have the same experience and have cut back on young sheng quite a bit as well. I haven't been getting the pain ever since 3 months ago when I drank less of the stuff.

Haha I had that feeling earlier today after 3 young sheng, 1 baozhong and a jin xuan all gong fued as well as koicha (3oz nice and thick), 2 cups of Darjeeling, chinese breakfast, and 3 cups of silver needle. I think you probably just had too much caffeine. I don't think it is specifically the Sheng.

That is the most tea I have ever consumed. Now I'm trying to go to sleep :x

Jan 20th, '09, 01:14

by beecrofter » Jan 20th, '09, 01:14

So the Chinese are engaged in a conspiracy to sap and impurify the precious bodily fluids of the American people with flouirdated tea.

We should resort to plan"R"

Jan 20th, '09, 04:18

by tony shlongini » Jan 20th, '09, 04:18

When I consider all of the godawful things that have passed through my system over the years, the notion that tea is somehow bad for me is laughable, at best.

Young sheng is no good for you? Then why isn't young lu cha bad for you? It, along with many other teas, is supposed to be consumed when it's young.

Jan 20th, '09, 06:03

by CDS » Jan 20th, '09, 06:03

tony shlongini wrote:When I consider all of the godawful things that have passed through my system over the years, the notion that tea is somehow bad for me is laughable, at best.
:lol:
I must agree. It is amazing that I did not kill myself back in my teens and twenties!

Jan 20th, '09, 08:50

by shogun89 » Jan 20th, '09, 08:50

teakid wrote:I cut down drinking young sheng significantly (from 5 times to 0-2 times a week) after about a year of drinking the stuff. The reason is I started feeling sharp pinchy pains in my chest that comes and goes, and was starting to occur more frequently like once or twice a week. I thought I was getting a heart attack, which is pretty scary. I know 2 other people that have the same experience and have cut back on young sheng quite a bit as well. I haven't been getting the pain ever since 3 months ago when I drank less of the stuff.

I too believe I have experienced it, but it was for such a short time I couldn't pinpoint a reason.

+ Post Reply