11 or more
3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

Mar 31st, '09, 13:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 31st, '09, 13:43

Gave the taller but still small guinomi on the left a trial run this morning with Chiran Supreme.
It is a (very) rough sand guinomi. Using these 2 side by side today, it occurred to me they would make an interesting spin on the aroma/tasting set. Both are small as is to be expected for sake cups and are by Yamane Seigan and of very similar glazing. I enjoy their simplicity, while also appreciating their Hagi characteristics. From "MAGOKORODO".
Image Image

As you can see, very rough sand clay!

Mar 31st, '09, 14:56

by Janine » Mar 31st, '09, 14:56

What gorgeous things in this topic. Don't let me near your homes, folks. You know who you are.

Chip, this is a lovely cup, IMO... I like this shape, personally. Also the contrast between the really rough clay and the very smooth white glaze is a nice element of interest!

Mar 31st, '09, 17:41

by Chip » Mar 31st, '09, 17:41

Thanks Janine! 8)

BTW ...

I have been following several Hagi vendor recommendations for "hot water saturation" before each use for Hagi in order to somewhat slow the absorbtion of tea and slowing the stain evolution process. I am not aversed to the staining, but want it to slowly occur over time.

If you are not familiar with this staining at the cracks in the glaze, refer to Sal's yunomi photo in my post a page or so back.

It is pretty interesting and amazing to watch. The porosity of the clay/glaze is stunningly displayed. To put a Hagi cup/pot/bowl in hot water and watch all the bubbles effervesce from all over the surfaces. Not just a handful of bubbles, but hundreds, maybe thousands and for up to a minute, it is like the cup/pot/bowl itself is boiling. :shock:

Conversely, one can speed the staining process up I would think by soaking the Hagi piece in very dark black tea ...

Mar 31st, '09, 19:54

by MarshalN » Mar 31st, '09, 19:54

I just blogged about these cups, but more Hagi -- only these are the real thing (in the sense that they are Korean, not Japanese)!

Pictures are not the best, but you can really see how one cup is much more used than the other and has earned that stain.

Mar 31st, '09, 21:18

by Janine » Mar 31st, '09, 21:18

Wow, very cool!

In addition to Chip's display, these and Tim's are so beautiful (you know that already)

I bought a pair of cups from Samovar that weren't advertised as hagi ware but they are semi-crackling nonetheless. I like the beautiful grey/white glaze... when I get back to SF I am going to try Chip's soaking advice and see what happens.

What happens, btw, if one puts any of these crackled used cups in the dishwasher? (please don't throw bricks!)

Is there advice for washing directions? Also for the really rough sandy clay?

Mar 31st, '09, 21:39

by MarshalN » Mar 31st, '09, 21:39

Just use water

Mar 31st, '09, 21:44

by Chip » Mar 31st, '09, 21:44

Janine wrote:Wow, very cool!

I bought a pair of cups from Samovar that weren't advertised as hagi ware but they are semi-crackling nonetheless. I like the beautiful grey/white glaze... when I get back to SF I am going to try Chip's soaking advice and see what happens.

What happens, btw, if one puts any of these crackled used cups in the dishwasher? (please don't throw bricks!)

Is there advice for washing directions? Also for the really rough sandy clay?
Yes, very cool Marshaln.

I just dip them in hot water when done a few times, then pat them semi dry. They should be left out for a week
to fully dry if you ever want to pack them away, because they are semi saturated.

NEVER wash with soaps or in the dishwasher.

Really, they are easy to take care of, just a few "don't do's."

Apr 5th, '09, 00:37

by funkmaster nice » Apr 5th, '09, 00:37

Saw this thread and I had to get me a hagi. :D I got a big ole cup from magokorodo. I'm loving the thick glaze. Nice sake cups chip and nice Korean hagi marshaln!

Apr 6th, '09, 08:49

by iannon » Apr 6th, '09, 08:49

Love that "bleeding" cup MarshalN
still waiting on my new hagi pair of teacups to arrive..cant wait to put them to use

Apr 6th, '09, 08:57

by Jayaratna » Apr 6th, '09, 08:57

Maybe this is a stupid question: does hagiyaki have anything to do with shinoyaki?
If not, what's the difference?

Apr 6th, '09, 11:08

by Chip » Apr 6th, '09, 11:08

funkmaster nice wrote:Saw this thread and I had to get me a hagi. :D I got a big ole cup from magokorodo. I'm loving the thick glaze. Nice sake cups chip and nice Korean hagi marshaln!

Quite nice funkmaster, I saw that one (of course) and thought it was a nice size. Many Hagi are small or large with little in between.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 6th, '09, 11:20

by chamekke » Apr 6th, '09, 11:20

Jayaratna wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question: does hagiyaki have anything to do with shinoyaki?
If not, what's the difference?
-yaki refers to something that is fired or baked ... it can be translated as "ware" here, so you can also say Hagi ware and Shino ware.

Both are high-fired pottery. To quote the Japanese pottery website e-yakimono.net, Hagi ware is associated with Yamaguchi Prefecture. It's a glazed, high-fired stoneware, "a style especially famous for its milky, white-glazed teaware." This particular style originated with Korean potters. Substyles include Hagi-oni or "ogre Hagi," which has a super-thick white glaze with a distinctive crawl:

Image Image

There is also an ao-hagi or "blue hagi" glaze that the potter Seigan Yamane is very famous for:

Hagi typically is a plain style and rarely includes any pictured designs. Where teabowls (chawan) are concerned, it's often associated with the V-shaped Ido style, which also originated in Korea.

Shino ware is a subset of Mino ware - high-fired wares produced in the Seto and Mino areas of Gifu Prefecture, and which originated in the late 16th century. Shino was Japan's first high-fired white-glazed pottery with iron-oxide brush markings; most decoration on pottery up until that time had been carved, incised or appliqued. One distinctive characteristic of Shino is small pinholes called suana (nest holes), which tea masters favor and term yuzuhada, or citron skin. (It does really look and feel a bit like orange peel!)

Shino ware often uses milky-white ash/feldspar glaze. Shino substyles include the following:
- e-Shino (decorated, or "pictured" ware)
- iron-oxide designs applied under shino glaze)
- muji Shino (plain white)
- aka-Shino and beni-Shino (red)
- nezumi Shino (grey or "mouse-colored")
- designs carved into iron slip; piece covered by Shino glaze.
When a Shino piece incorporates a design, it is usually a fairly simple one. Shino teabowls are often comparatively short and wide:

...although not always!

The best way to appreciate the difference is to touch and look at both types of pottery in person. The second-best way is to look at photos.

e-Yakimono's Hagi page
e-Yakimon's Shino page

P.S. Not sure how much I can/should generalize about this, but in my experience, the clay used in most Shino ware is comparatively smooth (and pale), whereas the underlying clay in many Hagi chawan-s often has a rough texture (and is often dark and/or reddish). Of course, that's a huge generalization; I've seen smooth, pale clay used in Hagiyaki too!
Last edited by chamekke on Apr 6th, '09, 11:29, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 6th, '09, 11:26
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 6th, '09, 11:26

Thank you Chamekke. Such a nice and educational post! I learned a lot this morning. : ) T

Apr 6th, '09, 11:29

by Chip » Apr 6th, '09, 11:29

Jayaratna, I hope you and your family are safe and not affected by the earthquake!

:D Ha, beat me to it, and did a better job as well. Thanks Chamekke. I was actually hoping you would chime in.

I have recently been looking at Shino. Some can be pretty amazing with a pretty amazing price tag as well.

Apr 6th, '09, 11:35
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 6th, '09, 11:35

Chip wrote:Jayaratna, I hope you and your family are safe and not affected by the earthquake!

:D Ha, beat me to it, and did a better job as well. Thanks Chamekke. I was actually hoping you would chime in.

I have recently been looking at Shino. Some can be pretty amazing with a pretty amazing price tag as well.
The unofficial Shino ware Chip? A good time to show off your Shino collections : )

+ Post Reply