Sep 25th, '08, 05:07

by Beidao » Sep 25th, '08, 05:07

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:Image
:shock: SEND IT TO ME :shock:
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Sep 25th, '08, 05:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 25th, '08, 05:43

Wow - great translation Chamekke! Interesting! Never heard of iced sake.

Lovely chawan Buzz!

Sep 25th, '08, 09:09

by Chip » Sep 25th, '08, 09:09

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: This one's for Chip:
SHUWEEEET!!! So if it is for me, you will need my addie, right? :wink: Thanx Buzz.

Sep 25th, '08, 09:12

by Chip » Sep 25th, '08, 09:12

chamekke wrote:From the sublime to the humble!

Last year I bought this little kyusu. It's glazed inside as well as out, so I use it mainly for jasmine pearls and other flavoured teas. Chip, who is a fellow fan of momiji (autumn maple leaves), may appreciate the design:

Also, shuweeet, in a more humble way.

Thanx, Chamekke for sharing.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 25th, '08, 11:07

by chamekke » Sep 25th, '08, 11:07

Chip wrote:Also, shuweeet, in a more humble way.

Thanx, Chamekke for sharing.
Heh, it'd be even more shuweet if I took the trouble to photograph it nicely :wink: One of these days I may re-shoot the pot - perhaps alongside the Shino cups that I usually use with it - and see if anyone recognizes it!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Sep 25th, '08, 11:32

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Sep 25th, '08, 11:32

chamekke wrote: Buzz, did the eBay listing identify the design at the bottom of the cup? It looks very much to me like kicho - a kind of cloth room-curtain, often highly decorated, that originated in the Heian period. Kicho curtains often appear as motifs on kimono and obi as well. See here and here for more on kicho.
chamekke,
Check your PM

Sep 25th, '08, 11:48

by chamekke » Sep 25th, '08, 11:48

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
chamekke wrote: Buzz, did the eBay listing identify the design at the bottom of the cup? It looks very much to me like kicho - a kind of cloth room-curtain, often highly decorated, that originated in the Heian period. Kicho curtains often appear as motifs on kimono and obi as well. See here and here for more on kicho.
chamekke,
Check your PM
Not seeing anything... but then again, my inbox was at 100% so perhaps your PM wasn't able to squeeze in. Try again now if you like :)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Sep 25th, '08, 12:21

by Pentox » Sep 25th, '08, 12:21

Victoria wrote:Wow - great translation Chamekke! Interesting! Never heard of iced sake.
Iced Sake is actually quite common. It is one of the preferred methods for enjoying some of the higher end stuff. People are just accustomed to hot sake because of sushi bars and the such in the states. One of the primary reasons for heating sake though is to mask part of the flavor. When you drink it hot it dulls some of your taste buds and you don't notice the difference in the flavor. There are other occasions though where it is warranted to be warm, i.e. onsen or just if it's really cold outside. Most higher end sake is enjoyed at either room temp or chilled. There are even some quite interesting sake coolers for that, which are essentially glass carafe's with indentation for putting ice in. This cools the sake and doesn't dilute it with the melting ice.

Sep 25th, '08, 12:44

by Bubba_tea » Sep 25th, '08, 12:44

How do you spell q u a l i t y ?? This is how! Check out this awesome tea tray...

$7.99 microwave steamer from BB&Beyond.

Sep 26th, '08, 19:47

by britt » Sep 26th, '08, 19:47

Bubba_tea wrote:How do you spell q u a l i t y ?? This is how! Check out this awesome tea tray...

$7.99 microwave steamer from BB&Beyond.
Very clever idea! Nice gaiwan as well.

Sep 26th, '08, 20:18

by Victoria » Sep 26th, '08, 20:18

Wow great idea! Cool!

Sep 26th, '08, 20:38

by chamekke » Sep 26th, '08, 20:38

Pentox wrote:
Victoria wrote:Wow - great translation Chamekke! Interesting! Never heard of iced sake.
Iced Sake is actually quite common. It is one of the preferred methods for enjoying some of the higher end stuff. People are just accustomed to hot sake because of sushi bars and the such in the states. One of the primary reasons for heating sake though is to mask part of the flavor. When you drink it hot it dulls some of your taste buds and you don't notice the difference in the flavor. There are other occasions though where it is warranted to be warm, i.e. onsen or just if it's really cold outside. Most higher end sake is enjoyed at either room temp or chilled. There are even some quite interesting sake coolers for that, which are essentially glass carafe's with indentation for putting ice in. This cools the sake and doesn't dilute it with the melting ice.
What Pentox said :)

If you'd like to learn more about enjoying sake, John Gauntner's website Sake World and his free monthly newsletter are very much worth a read.

Check out also this interesting article - Sake: The Taste is in the Cup, which has to do with how the shape of the sake cup affects your perception of the sake's flavour. (FWIW, I've found Kawabata's argument to be 100% true.)

And this Sake Cups Shape Guide. Some of those cups look a lot like chawan, don't they? Hmm...

Sep 27th, '08, 10:16

by Beidao » Sep 27th, '08, 10:16

Sep 27th, '08, 10:19

by Beidao » Sep 27th, '08, 10:19

Sep 27th, '08, 10:26

by Selaphiel » Sep 27th, '08, 10:26

I have 4 of exactly the same cup :s I also have the sake bottle that goes with them. Where did you get those? I found them in a local Japanese import store.