May 9th, '09, 15:42

New FDA Bills threaten artisan food (and Tea) companies!

by joelbct » May 9th, '09, 15:42

Has anyone heard about this, and do any of you have any more information abt how this could affect the Artisan Tea industry in the US? HR 759 and HR 875: http://www.naturalnews.com/026114.html

Sounds like the Bill holds any company associated with food (incl tea) production, distrubution, processing, etc, to the same standards that only the large corporate agriculture behemoths (Cargill, Monsanto) could afford to comply w/.... levies large fees and licensing costs that would wipe out smaller firms.

These could be devastating for small and artisan food companies (including our Tea supply), and could put many local/organic/artistan food/tea concerns out of business.

Write your rep if you feel motivated: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

May 9th, '09, 16:11

by woozl » May 9th, '09, 16:11

Monsanto= :twisted:
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

May 9th, '09, 19:20

by chingwa » May 9th, '09, 19:20

why is it we constantly have to be on the lookout to protect ourselves from laws that are not in our benefit? this really irks me. Monsanto=evil, but Congress=dumb AND Evil.

May 9th, '09, 19:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 9th, '09, 19:27

In a word ... lobbyists.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 21st, '09, 08:12

by teanoob » May 21st, '09, 08:12

I tried to get a package of tea from my cousin in India and it was an absolute nightmare the customs officials at Anchorage wouldn't release my package as they wanted the FDA food facility registration no. for the tea. It was an assorted bunch of teas from different gardens and only a couple of them had it but they wouldn't budge.

Finally, i asked them to just send the package back to India and I dont why they had a change of heart but released the package.

May 21st, '09, 18:41

by funkmaster nice » May 21st, '09, 18:41

I was worried about coming back from China going through customs. I didn't think my bricks of tea would go over well with customs. Sneaked by though. 8)

May 21st, '09, 21:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » May 21st, '09, 21:03

Oh wow. The scary thing is that I absolutely believe this could happen. Ain't regulation grand?
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

May 21st, '09, 21:31

by woozl » May 21st, '09, 21:31

funkmaster nice wrote:I was worried about coming back from China going through customs. I didn't think my bricks of tea would go over well with customs. Sneaked by though. 8)
Good thing you weren't carrying AM100 tea scale :shock:
-or whatever it's called, i saw on another post-

May 21st, '09, 21:58

by Dreamer » May 21st, '09, 21:58

...here comes a rant....

The bill HR875 opens the door for the government to "get into the business" of any one who grows any food (even private individuals!). The government will be in the business of deciding what methods are "safe growing methods" and you can bet that organic will not be deemed "safe". I personally don't think the government would know "safe" if it hit them over the head and the less they have to say about my food the better.

Google "Future of Food" for an enlightening video on agriculture in the US. (The video is available for viewing on many websites.)

...and now back to your regularly scheduled tea chat...

Someone needs a bowl of matcha!
- Dreamer

+ Post Reply