New or old

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 16th, '09, 13:43

New or old

by Jayaratna » May 16th, '09, 13:43

Dear all,

here again asking for some advice. I'd like to try this jiu hua fo cha, and I finally found a vendor in Europe. He has the 2008 harvest, I should wait a couple of weeks for the 2009 one. He is telling me the old one is better because 2008 produced a higher quality, but that sounds a little strange.

If you were me, what would you do: old or new?

Thanks for your comments,
A

May 16th, '09, 13:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » May 16th, '09, 13:51

Sounds like the teashop wants to sell of the 2008 tea before the 2009 arrives.

May 16th, '09, 14:24

by Oni » May 16th, '09, 14:24

Please tell me about that vendor, is it www.tea.cz , I have bought a so called buddist tea from them.

May 16th, '09, 14:29

by edkrueger » May 16th, '09, 14:29

Are they sealed?

May 16th, '09, 14:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 16th, '09, 14:58

edkrueger wrote:Are they sealed?
Are they crazy? :?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 16th, '09, 15:03

by Jayaratna » May 16th, '09, 15:03

Proinsias wrote:Sounds like the teashop wants to sell of the 2008 tea before the 2009 arrives.
That's the same thought I had when he told me this thing and as he advised me on buying samples (which are all last year's) rather than 50 grams bags.

Oni wrote:Please tell me about that vendor, is it www.tea.cz , I have bought a so called buddist tea from them.
It's not the same one. I have to buy chinese teas in Europe because of customs, they systematically reject any food from China: you have reliable vendors who ship from China, why do you buy teas in Europe?

I think he's got loose leaf and he seals bags on order: he should be able to make small or big packs as needed.

A
Last edited by Jayaratna on May 16th, '09, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, '09, 15:07

by Jayaratna » May 16th, '09, 15:07

Chip wrote:
Are they crazy? :?
Maybe he just thinks I'm dull?

May 16th, '09, 16:50

by Beidao » May 16th, '09, 16:50

So it is not the same as usual Foucha? If it is, then it's a tea I would never buy one year after harvest. But yeah, sometimes a new CAN be worse than drinking the old years. I just would not spend any money on getting to know if that's true or not...
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 17th, '09, 01:49

by Oni » May 17th, '09, 01:49

Oni wrote:Please tell me about that vendor, is it www.tea.cz , I have bought a so called buddist tea from them.
It's not the same one. I have to buy chinese teas in Europe because of customs, they systematically reject any food from China: you have reliable vendors who ship from China, why do you buy teas in Europe?

That is terrifying thought that the custom might do such thing for you. They reject tea from china from all sources, but they let you buy it in the schengen area.
Are they opening your package each time in front of you or they simply do this without your presence and if they see that it is tea they send it back, you could ask the vendor you buy tea from to write something diffrent on the invoice and the declaration of value, so that doesn`t enter the food category.

May 17th, '09, 01:56

by Oni » May 17th, '09, 01:56

One other solution for is to try this site out www.teautja.hu , I don`t know if they have an english version of the site, but they sell very good chinese green tea and oolong, and www.puerh.hu - they sell yunnan sourcing cackes, and www.japantea.hu - they sell japanese teas from horaido and marukyu koyamaen, this is the same teahouse and company, and they are trustworthy, and sell such good quality tea as can be bought from the web, and it is located in Hungary so the shipping won`t take long, I hope you can find the solution to drink better tea than the one is found in the local market.

May 17th, '09, 04:45

by Jayaratna » May 17th, '09, 04:45

Oni wrote:

That is terrifying thought that the custom might do such thing for you. They reject tea from china from all sources, but they let you buy it in the schengen area.
Are they opening your package each time in front of you or they simply do this without your presence and if they see that it is tea they send it back, you could ask the vendor you buy tea from to write something diffrent on the invoice and the declaration of value, so that doesn`t enter the food category.
It is a nightmare indeed. Luckily the problem is only with shipments from China. I have a friend who works in China and sometomes he smuggles somt tea in for me, but I don't like to ask and I am working with italian Posts customer care in order to get some good solution to the problem. I think it's because if they were to import tea for you, they should do too much paperwork and they don't want to spend human resources on ordinary mail. They do let in ems shipments in fact.

Anyway it's just as I thought: I will wait for the new tea to be put on the market. Meanwhile I hope this guy is not going to mix the two together or is not going to send me the old one for new...

May 17th, '09, 10:37

by brad4419 » May 17th, '09, 10:37

Jayaratna wrote:Anyway it's just as I thought: I will wait for the new tea to be put on the market. Meanwhile I hope this guy is not going to mix the two together or is not going to send me the old one for new...
Good decison, wait for the 09. I think no matter how good the 08 harvest was its not good anymore and Im sure the 09 will be good or at least fresh.

As for him mixing in the 08 and 09 theres not much you can do about that except try to make him know that your tea knowledgabe so he wont try to cheat you.

+ Post Reply