How to pronounce Oolong...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 10th, '09, 15:58

How to pronounce Oolong...

by depravitea » Jun 10th, '09, 15:58

At first I pronounced Oolong much like it's spelled - Ew-long. Then I read that it was pronounced Wu Long - like whoo-long. Apparently that means Black Dragon, and it was named such due to the black curling of the leaves looking much like a dragons' tail. Anyway, I tried to get in the habbit saying Wu Long as opposed to Oolong, but I have gotten a few funny looks...

Anyone have any input? Am I completely off base with the whole Wu Long thing?
"The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." - Bertrand Russell

Jun 10th, '09, 17:05

by wyardley » Jun 10th, '09, 17:05

'wulong' is the Hanyu pinyin for the Mandarin pronunciation of 乌龙. Just because it's written 'wu long' in Pinyin doesn't mean it's pronounced as it would be if you read 'wu long' phonetically in English - the system is consistent, but it's written to accurately represent a different language which has different sounds and concepts than Western languages*. The 'oo' sound is closer to the pronunciation in English. The 'ong' sound in Mandarin Chinese is more like "oh" than "ah".

Also, most / all Chinese languages are tonal, meaning that a word with the same phonetic sound can have several distinct tones. 'wū' is a high flat tone, and 'lóng' is a rising tone.

You can listen to a native speaker say 'wulong cha' (oolong tea) in Mandarin at:
http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/% ... C%B6/44396

The reason that you see both spellings is that "oolong" has existed in the Western world well before the systems of Pinyin in use now were created. So phonetic spellings (or older romanization systems) were used. "Wulong" or "wūlóng" is more precise, but also leads to some confusion and mispronunciation.

* see also http://www.1morepeat.com/knowledge/mand ... iation.htm

Jun 10th, '09, 17:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jun 10th, '09, 17:11

Hmm, I've actually wondered the same thing. I've only heard it said a few times by people who actually speak Chinese, but for the life of me I can't remember how they pronounced it!

AFAIK they are just different romanizations of the same word (I think Wulong is Wade-Giles and Oolong is Pinyin, but I might have that backwards) so they technically shouldn't have different pronunciations, but it sure isn't obvious which is closer, is it? :)

[Edit: Thanks Will, I must've spent too long editing my post. I guess I did have it backwards...]

Jun 10th, '09, 19:35

by depravitea » Jun 10th, '09, 19:35

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that, I appreciate it. The pronunciation website is pretty cool, by the way. Sounds like Oolong pronounced phonetically much like it's written (ooh-long) is the way to go.
Thanks very much!
"The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." - Bertrand Russell

Jun 24th, '09, 15:50

by Beidao » Jun 24th, '09, 15:50

Is it just me, or does the site with the sound file first have a female voice pronouning it like OOlong and than a male voice pronouncing it more like WUlong? I pronounce it like the female voice, which is the most logical way to pronounce "oo" for a Swedish-speaker.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 24th, '09, 17:43

by MarshalN » Jun 24th, '09, 17:43

scruffmcgruff wrote: AFAIK they are just different romanizations of the same word (I think Wulong is Wade-Giles and Oolong is Pinyin, but I might have that backwards) so they technically shouldn't have different pronunciations, but it sure isn't obvious which is closer, is it? :)
Wulong is pinyin, and oolong is not any of the standard romanization. In Wade-Giles it should be Wu-long. Yes, the dash is important :)

The file on the site is actually accurate. I actually don't hear much of a difference between the male and the female, but different people hear different things....

Jun 25th, '09, 01:46

by xuancheng » Jun 25th, '09, 01:46

MarshalN wrote: Wulong is pinyin, and oolong is not any of the standard romanization. In Wade-Giles it should be Wu-long. Yes, the dash is important :)
Shouln't that be wu-lung?
茶也醉人何必酒?

Jun 25th, '09, 08:34

by MarshalN » Jun 25th, '09, 08:34

Duh, yes.... that was stupid :)

Thanks for the correction :)

+ Post Reply