Have you ever drink DianGong tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 3rd, '17, 21:14

Have you ever drink DianGong tea?

by janet11 » May 3rd, '17, 21:14

DianGong ,"Yunnan Red", is a Chinese black tea which is used as a relatively high end gourmet black tea and is sometimes used in various tea blends. The main difference between DianGong and other Chinese black teas is the amount of fine leaf buds, or "golden tips," present in the dried tea. Finer DianGong teas produces a brew that is brassy golden orange in colour with a sweet, gentle aroma and no astringency. Teas grown in the Yunnan Province of China prior to the Han dynasty were typically exported in a compressed form similar to modern pu-erh tea. Will you like this kind of black tea? Or would you like to share other black you enjoyed?

May 3rd, '17, 22:43

Re: Have you ever drink DianGong tea?

by chrl42 » May 3rd, '17, 22:43

First, it's Dian Hong, not Dian Gong.. :mrgreen:

The earliest tea drinking habit might trace back to Han dynasty, but only in Yunnan and Sichuan, because these areas are quite far from Yellow River, it's also possible those drinkers were actually ethnic minorities..anyways records left during that period is too little

It's only in Tang dynasty tea drinking became popular among upper class, and Song dynasty tea drinking became popular nationwide..exporting tea also started since these periods, notably to Tibetans who needed 'vitamins' bcos all they eat was just meet and oils

May 4th, '17, 13:53

by joelbct » May 4th, '17, 13:53

Thanks chrl42. OP's post was mostly copy-pasted from Wikipedia. Strange world, the internets! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianhong?wprov=sfla1

But um yeah, love me some Golden Dian Hong! Thank goodness that is a prime red tea that is readily available in the West and relatively consistent in quality.

Drinking some YS Autumn 2016 Imperial Golden Needles as we speak. It's sold out but I've got an unopened 500g bag.

May 21st, '17, 07:11

by Balthazar » May 21st, '17, 07:11

I drink dianhong every day at the office. Affordable, easy to brew, consistent and hard to really get tired of. Will probably buy another kilo from YS in a month's time or so.

(Speaking of affordable, I bought some dianhong when I visited Lijiang (Yunnan) last year. As the place (particularly the old town) was full of scam shops (LBZ cakes for RMB 300 a tong :) ) it was a coincidence that I bothered to sit down for a sample at all. But I did try my luck at a shop outside the old town, and found the dianhong I was served very pleasant. It turned out to be RMB 50 per 100 gram bag, and I started suspecting that the tea would either not be the one I was served, or that my liking the sample I had had was due to "subjective" factors such as having had an overall very nice day, or that the effect of the baijiu was coloring my taste judgment. So I only bought 200 grams. I regret that now, because it really was a rather good dianhong (for the price, of course), one of the sweetest I've had.)

May 21st, '17, 23:26

by janet11 » May 21st, '17, 23:26

Balthazar wrote: I drink dianhong every day at the office. Affordable, easy to brew, consistent and hard to really get tired of. Will probably buy another kilo from YS in a month's time or so.

(Speaking of affordable, I bought some dianhong when I visited Lijiang (Yunnan) last year. As the place (particularly the old town) was full of scam shops (LBZ cakes for RMB 300 a tong :) ) it was a coincidence that I bothered to sit down for a sample at all. But I did try my luck at a shop outside the old town, and found the dianhong I was served very pleasant. It turned out to be RMB 50 per 100 gram bag, and I started suspecting that the tea would either not be the one I was served, or that my liking the sample I had had was due to "subjective" factors such as having had an overall very nice day, or that the effect of the baijiu was coloring my taste judgment. So I only bought 200 grams. I regret that now, because it really was a rather good dianhong (for the price, of course), one of the sweetest I've had.)
Is it good for your to stay awake? Most of time I do that way.
The price of local is favorable. You will have chance to yunnan again .

+ Post Reply