Darjeeling shipping

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 16th, '17, 14:15

Darjeeling shipping

by abnyc » Jul 16th, '17, 14:15

Does Thunderbolt (or any of the other India-based Darjeeling vendors) ever have a free shipping promotion?

Jul 16th, '17, 17:06

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by kuánglóng » Jul 16th, '17, 17:06

abnyc wrote: Does Thunderbolt (or any of the other India-based Darjeeling vendors) ever have a free shipping promotion?
It happens once in a blue moon. I remember teabox offering free shippping some months ago.

Jul 17th, '17, 02:48

by Bok » Jul 17th, '17, 02:48

Out of curiosity did any of the usual Darjeeling vendors have any second flush on offer, even though it could not be harvested due to the unrests? Good opportunity to uncover some dodgy vendors :mrgreen:

Jul 17th, '17, 03:10

by abnyc » Jul 17th, '17, 03:10

Bok wrote: Out of curiosity did any of the usual Darjeeling vendors have any second flush on offer, even though it could not be harvested due to the unrests? Good opportunity to uncover some dodgy vendors :mrgreen:
What happened to this year's harvest? I haven't checked them all (Thunderbolt doesn't), but the US vendor Tea Trekker does, and they're usually reliable.

Jul 17th, '17, 04:08

by Bok » Jul 17th, '17, 04:08

abnyc wrote:
Bok wrote: Out of curiosity did any of the usual Darjeeling vendors have any second flush on offer, even though it could not be harvested due to the unrests? Good opportunity to uncover some dodgy vendors :mrgreen:
What happened to this year's harvest? I haven't checked them all (Thunderbolt doesn't), but the US vendor Tea Trekker does, and they're usually reliable.
It could not be harvested, as the whole region is gripped by unrest and is on shutdown: https://www.indoasiancommodities.com/20 ... state-alr/
and:
http://www.firstpost.com/india/darjeeli ... 31177.html

If I understand correctly there was no 2nd flush 2017. So if anyone offers 2nd flush they are most likely selling something else. Also seems that the future of a lot of teafarms is in doubt as they depend on those sales… worst off are of course the workers. :(

Jul 17th, '17, 04:12

by Bok » Jul 17th, '17, 04:12

Teatrekker only writes that the 2nd flush arrived late due to the weather, don’t even mention the political situations…

Jul 17th, '17, 04:33

by kuánglóng » Jul 17th, '17, 04:33

Bok wrote: Teatrekker only writes that the 2nd flush arrived late due to the weather, ...
:shock:
...don’t even mention the political situations…
Pretty much the standard; I guess most folks are only in it for the $$$ anyway.

Regarding 2017 2nd flush you can get some Jungpana here and there:
http://www.darjeelingteaboutique.com/da ... ry=2024250
http://www.darjeeling.cz/en/darjeeling/ ... h-2017-966

Jul 17th, '17, 18:59

by yshuto » Jul 17th, '17, 18:59

kuánglóng wrote:
Bok wrote: Teatrekker only writes that the 2nd flush arrived late due to the weather, ...

Rather than basing everything on conjecture, I asked Tea Trekker for an explanation:

“Yes some Darjeeling 2nd Flush was released before the unrest shut down most of the transit from the gardens. There is some movement again, also, so there will be 2nd Flush (and more 1st Flush teas coming onto the market later this summer). Depending on where the tea is stored, it was not all caught up in the unrest. The teas that we had sampled and wanted were already off-garden in storage so it was not a problem for us. We would never sell any tea that wasn't properly identified.
We are certainly all hopeful that they can settle the long-standing issues that tend to arise every few years.”

Jul 18th, '17, 00:33

by Bok » Jul 18th, '17, 00:33

Thanks for clearing that up!

Jul 18th, '17, 04:47

by abnyc » Jul 18th, '17, 04:47

yshuto wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:

Rather than basing everything on conjecture, I asked Tea Trekker for an explanation:

“Yes some Darjeeling 2nd Flush was released before the unrest shut down most of the transit from the gardens. There is some movement again, also, so there will be 2nd Flush (and more 1st Flush teas coming onto the market later this summer). Depending on where the tea is stored, it was not all caught up in the unrest. The teas that we had sampled and wanted were already off-garden in storage so it was not a problem for us. We would never sell any tea that wasn't properly identified.
We are certainly all hopeful that they can settle the long-standing issues that tend to arise every few years.”
Thanks! I'd assumed they were above board, they're pretty excellent sellers, as a rule.

Jul 18th, '17, 07:06

by Psyck » Jul 18th, '17, 07:06

All Darjeeling vendors only have free shipping within India (for purchases above $10 or $20). I don't recollect seeing free international shipping, but then I only purchase in India. Most of them offer discounts, usually in the 15 to 25% range, every other month - which I take to mean that they normally overprice it and sell at a more proper rate during discounts.

Jul 19th, '17, 01:41

by entropyembrace » Jul 19th, '17, 01:41

Thunderbolt has free international shipping for orders above $110

But, they're located in Darjeeling and last I looked the internet service is still shut off there, and there are no recent posts on Thunderbolt's social media pages so I doubt if you ordered now it would go through. :(

Jul 19th, '17, 03:12

by joelbct » Jul 19th, '17, 03:12

Vahdam has $5 express shipping for orders over $30, and (edit) free shipping over $49. And a 20% off promo for new customers. My orders arrive within 3 business days.

They appear to have got their hands on a few 2017 second flush Darj as well, 3 black and 1 white.

Jayshree retail shipping is ~$20 but they have quality Darjeeling sku's for ~10USD/100g (they own some gardens), so it evens out.
Last edited by joelbct on Jul 22nd, '17, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 19th, '17, 03:56

by tencats_tea » Jul 19th, '17, 03:56

abnyc wrote: Does Thunderbolt (or any of the other India-based Darjeeling vendors) ever have a free shipping promotion?
In my experience over the last four years I've had only free international shipping on near 30 teas shipments originating from India delivered to USA. To this date I have had only the best service from five India based tea gardens and vendors. My experience with FedEx International Priority and DHL International Express Delivery has been most satisfactory with my tea packages delivered consistently within 72 hours once the package is processed through Kolkata or New Dehli India. Free shipping has been usually offered with a minimum order of $50 dollars total. Just recently one of my favorite tea gardens has though increased their free shipping offer to a $70 minimum order of tea. The tracking e-mail and or text notifications of delivery updates provided on my tea order packages has been just excellent. To date I have long time known of Thunderbolt Tea but never placed an order with them.

Jul 24th, '17, 01:07

by Aya » Jul 24th, '17, 01:07

The news of unrest and difficulties in importing Darjeeling was widely covered by media in Japan last week, and (black) tea lovers are very concerned if we can possibly purchase 2nd Flush or even Autumnal this year. Some say price of those from 2016, or first flush, may rise. I hope the situation will get better soon, not only for the sake of us tea lovers but for the people living there too!

+ Post Reply