Aug 9th, '17, 18:10

Re: RE: Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by joelbct » Aug 9th, '17, 18:10

tencats_tea wrote:Haven't seen any good Mangalam yet this seasom. TeaBox though has just recently relisted a Mangalam Gold for 2017.

You said " the Vahdam's taste hit me over the head". Is that a good or a bad tea taste?
Good. I'd been searching for years for an Assam as good as the '07-'12 Meleng/Mangalam from SpecialTeas and Tea Stop. I finally realize I was just lucky to have found consistent, truly Great Assam during those years, because nothing else I'd found until now measured up.

I tried nearly every decent-looking Upton 2013-4 Assam SKU. They were all disappointing so I gave up until Winter '16/17, when I started my hunt anew. By this time, I'd tried 100+ sku's from ~20 different vendors from 2013-2017, before I found a few that weren't a letdown- Teasource's Duflating SFTGFOP1, a Dikom all-gold tips from Harney, Mariage Frere's Numalighur, Dejoo, and Koilamari; and a mystery Special Golden Tips from Jayshreetea: https://www.jayshreetea.com/black-tea/a ... -black-tea

But it wasn't until this 2017 Halmari Gold that I was, as mentioned, really satisfied. I thought I maybe preferred Vahdam's batch, but I need some more time with them to reach a conclusion. Could be 'higher-price bias.' They're both great: https://www.reddit.com/r/tea/comments/6 ... _compared/

As for Mangalam, Jayshreetea posted a 2017 batch here: https://www.jayshreetea.com/black-tea/a ... -black-tea
Shipping is not built into their pricing (they should probably work on this), so it's $21 min for 100-500g, $38 for 600+. But prices are very low, so it works out. They have good Darjeeling too- they own all the estates they sell.

Cheers and happy sipping.

Aug 11th, '17, 00:04

Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by fdrx » Aug 11th, '17, 00:04

Darjeeling Castleton Autumn 2009

Wow! Absolutely delicious and complex game of ripe passion fruit, melon, caramel and something that makes me think of a roasted oolong like an aged tie luo han. weak aftertaste but pleasant

i was thinking it would be too aged and boring a few minutes back... now i feel like i have found a treasure!

Aug 13th, '17, 22:07

by victoria3 » Aug 13th, '17, 22:07

Exploring offerings from Ferg this morning, Jun Chiyabari Organic Black. I'm assuming he got this from Ethan and it is Himalayan Orange (HOR). I don't drink much black tea these days but found this to be really tasty with a pleasant aroma and flavor range. Brewed western style in a very fine Thomas Ivory Bavaria porcelain set from my Swiss great-grandparents 1- 1/4TBs in 12oz/under boil/ 3min., 3min., 8min. Love using this delicate porcelain with aromatic black teas, last time was with a delicious Glenburn Assam.

Aug 16th, '17, 03:54
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 16th, '17, 03:54

Drank tea today with Kenneth of Monsoon Tea in Chiangmai, Thailand. If here, definitely visit, and you might want to look at his website to read about commitment to sustainability for what tea he handles. Inspiring.

The highlight of the session was black tea from 800 year-old trees in Yunnan. Deliciousk & almost identical to excellent tea from Yunnan I drank with Teadoff last week in Bangkok.

Very enjoyable blacks but like Bok, favorite blacks for me are from Taiwan. The Himalayan Orange Tea that I enjoy regularly seems more like oolong to me lately as I have shortenned steeping time and lowered temperature ofwater.

Aug 16th, '17, 23:02

by john.b » Aug 16th, '17, 23:02

I think I mentioned trying a "wild" version of a white tea from Kenneth of Monsoon not long ago, an interesting tea. It had some nice fruit and an unusual other element, like an aged wood or light mushroom, something different.

Today I had an orthodox Assam with breakfast, which was nice enough. Astringency was pretty limited compared to CTC Assam versions with malt kind of moderate too, with a cool sun dried tomato range aspect and a trace of cocoa. The only downside was that it was a bit subtle as some black teas go, so for some it would seem to fall short of expectations, if they were after a strong flavored black tea.

To me it compared reasonably well with Chinese and Taiwanese black tea versions, my favorites. I still have yet to try one of the "honey black" versions I picked up in Taiwan back in January (at Lin Mao Sen); since I've been out of Chinese black teas for awhile it's about time for that.

Aug 17th, '17, 04:06

by Bok » Aug 17th, '17, 04:06

john.b wrote: To me it compared reasonably well with Chinese and Taiwanese black tea versions, my favorites. I still have yet to try one of the "honey black" versions I picked up in Taiwan back in January (at Lin Mao Sen); since I've been out of Chinese black teas for awhile it's about time for that.
I would recommend to not take too much leaf, short steeps for hotter water, or longer with less hot water. Best brewed similar to Wuyi or Dancong teas. If those are open leaves that is. For rolled high mountain black teas, hotter water is a must.

+ Post Reply