Darjeeling shipping

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.


User avatar
Jul 25th, '17, 11:01
Posts: 1145
Joined: Dec 2nd, '07, 17:53
Location: New York

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by joelbct » Jul 25th, '17, 11:01

Aya wrote: The news of unrest and difficulties in importing Darjeeling was widely covered by media in Japan last week, and (black) tea lovers are very concerned if we can possibly purchase 2nd Flush or even Autumnal this year. Some say price of those from 2016, or first flush, may rise. I hope the situation will get better soon, not only for the sake of us tea lovers but for the people living there too!
Vahdam has 4x 2017 and 9x 2016 estate Darjeeling Second Flushes. I've heard a few trustworthy vendors have some, that were pre-purchased and in the warehouses before the unrest started, or something.

https://www.vahdamteas.com/collections/ ... black-teas

User avatar
Jul 25th, '17, 22:35
Posts: 699
Joined: Aug 4th, '14, 05:43
Location: Taiwan

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by Bok » Jul 25th, '17, 22:35

joelbct wrote:
Aya wrote: The news of unrest and difficulties in importing Darjeeling was widely covered by media in Japan last week, and (black) tea lovers are very concerned if we can possibly purchase 2nd Flush or even Autumnal this year. Some say price of those from 2016, or first flush, may rise. I hope the situation will get better soon, not only for the sake of us tea lovers but for the people living there too!
Vahdam has 4x 2017 and 9x 2016 estate Darjeeling Second Flushes. I've heard a few trustworthy vendors have some, that were pre-purchased and in the warehouses before the unrest started, or something.

https://www.vahdamteas.com/collections/ ... black-teas
the thing I do not really understand is, how there can be a pre-purchase, when – if the articles aren’t wrong – the unrest started before the harvest? They all state that workers could not harvest at the time when the leaves should be plucked.

Still a bit dodgy in my opinion, no one knew this was going to happen, so why would some harvest earlier than the rest? Unless there are micro-climates where the conditions are different? But then one vendor stated the harvest was later this year due to the weather, which then makes even less sense. Anyways, maybe some with a better understanding of Darjeeling plantations can shed some light…

Jul 26th, '17, 01:19
Posts: 18
Joined: May 23rd, '17, 05:49
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Contact: Aya

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by Aya » Jul 26th, '17, 01:19

joelbct wrote:
Aya wrote: The news of unrest and difficulties in importing Darjeeling was widely covered by media in Japan last week, and (black) tea lovers are very concerned if we can possibly purchase 2nd Flush or even Autumnal this year. Some say price of those from 2016, or first flush, may rise. I hope the situation will get better soon, not only for the sake of us tea lovers but for the people living there too!
Vahdam has 4x 2017 and 9x 2016 estate Darjeeling Second Flushes. I've heard a few trustworthy vendors have some, that were pre-purchased and in the warehouses before the unrest started, or something.

https://www.vahdamteas.com/collections/ ... black-teas
I usually don't purchase tea from Western vendors (US, UK, EU) as I thought tea leaves traveling from China/India/Sri Lanka/Taiwan etc. to those countries then to Japan not making sense. So I never dare to look for international vendors directly shipping from the source! Thank you Joelbct to pointing me to Vahdam.
As to Darjeeling... my favorite is Autumnal, so I will wait with my fingers crossed... (and stock up with 2016 Autumnal?)

User avatar
Jul 26th, '17, 05:35
Posts: 2003
Joined: Mar 3rd, '09, 17:18

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by entropyembrace » Jul 26th, '17, 05:35

Bok wrote:

the thing I do not really understand is, how there can be a pre-purchase, when – if the articles aren’t wrong – the unrest started before the harvest? They all state that workers could not harvest at the time when the leaves should be plucked.

Still a bit dodgy in my opinion, no one knew this was going to happen, so why would some harvest earlier than the rest? Unless there are micro-climates where the conditions are different? But then one vendor stated the harvest was later this year due to the weather, which then makes even less sense. Anyways, maybe some with a better understanding of Darjeeling plantations can shed some light…
Second Flush harvest starts at the very end of May, but from checking Indian newspapers I don't think Darjeeling was shut down by the unrest until the middle of June. So the early 2nd flush tea did have time to be harvested, processed and get out...barely.

User avatar
Aug 15th, '17, 02:17
Posts: 1145
Joined: Dec 2nd, '07, 17:53
Location: New York

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by joelbct » Aug 15th, '17, 02:17

(Moved this here instead of a new thread)

If anyone has any news of how much the 2018 Darjeeling harvest, particularly First Flush, will be affected by the strike, please advise.

User avatar
Aug 15th, '17, 03:09
Posts: 699
Joined: Aug 4th, '14, 05:43
Location: Taiwan

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by Bok » Aug 15th, '17, 03:09

joelbct wrote: (Moved this here instead of a new thread)

If anyone has any news of how much the 2018 Darjeeling harvest, particularly First Flush, will be affected by the strike, please advise.
As I understand it, the strike is ongoing, so probably the tea gardens will not be tended to… ?

User avatar
Aug 15th, '17, 12:41
Posts: 811
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by victoria3 » Aug 15th, '17, 12:41

Bok wrote:
joelbct wrote: (Moved this here instead of a new thread)

If anyone has any news of how much the 2018 Darjeeling harvest, particularly First Flush, will be affected by the strike, please advise.
As I understand it, the strike is ongoing, so probably the tea gardens will not be tended to… ?
You might ask Salvador at ITI.

User avatar
Aug 15th, '17, 16:14
Posts: 2003
Joined: Mar 3rd, '09, 17:18

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by entropyembrace » Aug 15th, '17, 16:14

From Thunderbolt tea facebook:
Hello Tea Lovers! After a long gap we are updating. We have temporarily shifted our office to the plains for efficient working because there is a strike going on in Darjeeling. There is an ongoing unrest for a demand for separate statehood of Gorkhaland where the local tea garden workers are also actively involved in it as this is what they want. You can get some idea here regarding the Gorkhaland demand - https://goo.gl/NRKfmS The West Bengal state govt has severed all internet connections in Darjeeling since June 18 and that is why we couldn't answer to some of the mails sent to us. Some parcels were delayed, but the good news is that we have already sent them via special arrangements. We apologize for the inconvenience caused, we were actually helpless. Now that we have temporarily set up our office in the internet region :), we will be able to read your mails. Yes, you can order teas, but please allow us 4-5 days to process your orders as we couldn't bring the huge stock of tea we have in Darjeeling. We have our staff in Darjeeling who will do the packaging and will send us to our temporary office via special arrangements. Have a great day. We apologize once again for any delays in delivery of parcels and mails. We are trying our best. Please do bear with us. You can order and we will deliver to you. Thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day!
https://www.facebook.com/thunderbolttea/

User avatar
Sep 10th, '17, 14:10
Posts: 1145
Joined: Dec 2nd, '07, 17:53
Location: New York

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by joelbct » Sep 10th, '17, 14:10

A thought just dawned on me, I wonder if China had a hand in the Ghorka unrest decimating Darjeeling tea industry? It's a sad situation either way, but this would make it sadder.

Delhi has been putting forth initiatives to spur 'specialty' tea exports. And though Darjeeling is a small portion of Indian tea trade, it is a global symbol, and certainly not small as a percentage of high-end. Chinese leaders reportedly take the long-view of history, and the popular association with Darjeeling as the 'champagne of teas' could be a needle in their side.

And tensions have been running high in the India-China disputed border standoff, not far from Darjeeling.

Google yielded this: http://www.oneindia.com/india/gorkhalan ... 96524.html

'An official in the state Home Department told The Indian Express, "The area is very important geo-politically. It connects Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sikkim, Darjeeling hills, Northeast India and the rest of India. It will be a great cause of concern if China is found to be influencing the unrest in Darjeeling..."

Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee said, "There has been support from foreign lands to the unrest in the hills, and we have definite proof of that."'

Sep 11th, '17, 16:17
Posts: 10
Joined: Aug 22nd, '17, 14:59

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by Yatra Tea Co » Sep 11th, '17, 16:17

Well the good news is that the Tea Board of India has said that it will assist tea growers in the region. One of the major concerns stemming from the strike was that smaller estates would not survive as a result of losing the Second Flush revenue, and the Autumnal Flush as well (potentially).

There is a meeting tomorrow and hopefully things will become a little more clear. One thing to note is that there is a definite rift in the GJM party (the ones fighting for Gorkhaland). Certain senior members are somewhat opposed to the way the strike is being conducted.

Some shops opened in the area; I think it signals that some of the local businesses that have lost income in the last 3 months are a little tired of the losses. I think the Gorkha people still want Gorkhaland, but perhaps self preservation is starting to creep in. Just speculation, but we should know more in the next few days.

Sep 12th, '17, 11:47
Posts: 10
Joined: Aug 22nd, '17, 14:59

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by Yatra Tea Co » Sep 12th, '17, 11:47

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 009_1.html

Seems like estate workers may get a stake in the gardens. But the article suggests that this would be in lieu of cash compensation. I wonder if they will accept what amounts to deferred payment.

User avatar
Sep 17th, '17, 11:30
Posts: 1145
Joined: Dec 2nd, '07, 17:53
Location: New York

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by joelbct » Sep 17th, '17, 11:30

Yatra Tea Co wrote: http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 009_1.html

Seems like estate workers may get a stake in the gardens. But the article suggests that this would be in lieu of cash compensation. I wonder if they will accept what amounts to deferred payment.
Yes, I'd read something about this. Hopefully things will get back to speed with a minimum of 'off' years.

User avatar
Sep 17th, '17, 12:08
Vendor Member
Posts: 3034
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by jayinhk » Sep 17th, '17, 12:08

Considering the hand-to-mouth existence of many of the farmers, I don't see how this is gonna work out...

Sep 18th, '17, 16:59
Posts: 10
Joined: Aug 22nd, '17, 14:59

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by Yatra Tea Co » Sep 18th, '17, 16:59

3 tea estates in the region opened today. There is a definite rift in the political party that called the strike; senior members who have been expelled are the ones reassuring tea estate management that nothing bad will happen if they reopen. Clearly they have some sway in spite of being expelled.

User avatar
Sep 20th, '17, 19:37
Posts: 811
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Darjeeling shipping

by victoria3 » Sep 20th, '17, 19:37


+ Post Reply