Recommendations: White --> Black teas

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 29th, '18, 14:24

Recommendations: White --> Black teas

by parislexi » Jun 29th, '18, 14:24

I have been drinking white teas for quite a number of years.

I have, also, tried several green and oolong teas.

As a child, teen, and young adult, I drank Lipton tea – the only black tea I have ever drunk.

Now, I would like to try some ‘refined’ black teas – perhaps an English breakfast tea, etc.

In the beginning, I would prefer a few black teas that are mellower than most other black teas, not too strong/hearty – something for someone who needs to be slowly transitioned into the black tea world, not plunged into it! I am aware that black teas have much more caffeine than white.

I, also, would prefer a black tea that doesn’t need milk to do whatever milk does for other black tea drinkers.

Suggestions, please!

Jun 29th, '18, 15:53

Re: Recommendations: White --> Black teas

by Simon_Qc » Jun 29th, '18, 15:53

parislexi wrote: I have been drinking white teas for quite a number of years.

I have, also, tried several green and oolong teas.

As a child, teen, and young adult, I drank Lipton tea – the only black tea I have ever drunk.

Now, I would like to try some ‘refined’ black teas – perhaps an English breakfast tea, etc.

In the beginning, I would prefer a few black teas that are mellower than most other black teas, not too strong/hearty – something for someone who needs to be slowly transitioned into the black tea world, not plunged into it! I am aware that black teas have much more caffeine than white.

I, also, would prefer a black tea that doesn’t need milk to do whatever milk does for other black tea drinkers.

Suggestions, please!
I would definitely start with Darjeeling.
1st Flush is more like green tea, 2nd Flush is black but easy to drink without milk.

Jul 31st, '18, 11:13

by bagua7 » Jul 31st, '18, 11:13

Jin jun mei
Lapsang souchong

The ones sold by Wuyi Rock Tea Factory are top notch. Very good stuff.

Aug 17th, '18, 13:58

by Difflugia » Aug 17th, '18, 13:58

First of all, when I first started drinking green and oolong teas, I thought I liked them better than black tea. It turns out that I just like good tea. My favorite teas now are actually black teas.

Caffeine content correlates more with tea quality than how it's produced. Buds and young leaves tend to have more caffeine than old leaves. If you've been drinking silver tips, then your white tea probably has more caffeine than you think it does. Shoumei, with its higher proportion of larger leaves, will have less caffeine, though high quality shoumei will still have enough tips and young leaves to give you a jolt.

Indian Assam teas, which are the main ingredient in most "English Breakfast" blends, are strongly flavored, but more bitter than most other types of black tea. If you want something mellow, those are probably not your best bet.

In addition to the Darjeelings already mentioned, Sri Lankan "Ceylon" teas tend to be much more mellow than Assams. As far as I'm concerned, Ceylon teas have the best quality for the price. If you live near shops that cater to a Middle Eastern clientele, Alwazah FBOP1 is a fantastic, yet very inexpensive Ceylon tea. The London-based Ahmad is a close second.

Chinese Yunnan black teas are almost sugary sweet and much less bitter than Indian tea. Keemun (or Qimen) teas have a sweetness that tastes more like honey or butterscotch and the good ones lack any bitterness at all. They tend to be expensive, but if price is no object, my favorite teas are Keemuns.

+ Post Reply