Golden Yunnan vendors lately?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

User avatar
Jul 31st 08 10:45 pm
Posts: 552
Joined: Feb 27th 08 3:06 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY

by silverneedles » Jul 31st 08 10:45 pm

mmm.... tasty
i been drinking that for the past couple days, trying to finish a 6month old stock...
all gold one is good, has alot of flavor,

i prefer the other one from YSLLC - the Yunnan Black Gold
just a hint of smokyness to it imho imho

User avatar
Jul 31st 08 10:45 pm
Posts: 355
Joined: Jul 30th 08 9:42 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

by Bubba_tea » Jul 31st 08 10:45 pm

Yup - another bloody Canadian! Actually I'm in Springfield MO now. Actually, watch out! We're everywhere now. We look like Americans, smell like Americans, and almost sound like Americans except for a few little things that experts can pick out. One day the grand pooba will give the order and we'll rise up and have a Molson.. :lol:

Shogun - thanks for the linky there. I had shied away from the golden tips as they usually didn't have as much flavor as the #2 grades I've tried. If that's it, your picture is going up in the garage! I did have one of the Rishi yunnans a while back that was pretty good and almost peppery. My daily drink is Ten Ren's #2 yunnan - I didn't think the #1 had much body to it.

I wrote that YSLLC guy on ebay but haven't received a response - anyone else have luck contacting him?

They have quite a few!

Early Spring 2008 "Banna Black Gold" Black Tea *
Flowering Black Teacone
Yunnan Black Gold
Yunnan Pure Small Bud Black Tea * Gold Tips *
Premium Simao Black Tea * Hong Piao Xiang *
Dian Hong "Jin Hao" Black Tea * Spring 2007 *

Geeze - that's a lot of money to spend... wish there was a sample pack!!!

User avatar
Aug 1st 08 12:06 am
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 1st 08 12:06 am

Bubba_tea wrote: We look like Americans, smell like Americans, and almost sound like Americans except for a few little things that experts can pick out. One day the grand pooba will give the order and we'll rise up and have a Molson
And apparently are as crazy as Americans too. Molson, you say. I will be vigilent for this substance.
Bubba_tea wrote: I wrote that YSLLC guy on ebay but haven't received a response - anyone else have luck contacting him?
Generally, Scott is good about replying to questions. I have found the pure gold bud to be too smooth and bland for me, but Mary R and others have loved it. I have some of the one called Simao and have not been too crazy about it. Generally I have been happier with the ones that have more black mixed in with the gold buds and not called Simao. The last excellent one I had is sold out now. It was a 2006 harvest.

User avatar
Aug 1st 08 12:55 am
Posts: 1144
Joined: Dec 2nd 07 10:53 pm
Location: New York

by joelbct » Aug 1st 08 12:55 am

Bubba_tea wrote:I wrote that YSLLC guy on ebay but haven't received a response - anyone else have luck contacting him?
He should get back to you before long. Don't fret...

And yes, welcome to TeaChat. We'll be on the lookout for that Poobah-Ordered Canadian Uprising (intelligence leak in aisle 6) ;)

User avatar
Aug 1st 08 2:09 pm
Posts: 355
Joined: Jul 30th 08 9:42 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

by Bubba_tea » Aug 1st 08 2:09 pm

Hey all - just to be sure, which one of the yunnans have the (most) peppery flavor? I see some of the 2008 crop is out - how are they?

User avatar
Aug 1st 08 3:07 pm
Posts: 552
Joined: Feb 27th 08 3:06 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY

by silverneedles » Aug 1st 08 3:07 pm

i never get the peppery association... its not stinging in any way, and i dont find much similarity in flavor that i automatically say pepper....
am i missing some taste bud sensors here or flavor experiences???

User avatar
Aug 1st 08 4:07 pm
Posts: 668
Joined: Aug 28th 07 5:32 pm
Location: Northeast Georgia

by henley » Aug 1st 08 4:07 pm

silverneedles wrote:i never get the peppery association... its not stinging in any way, and i dont find much similarity in flavor that i automatically say pepper....
am i missing some taste bud sensors here or flavor experiences???
I was the same way. I kept expecting a peppery bite. Like others told me, think more of sweet peppers instead. YG kinda reminded me of hot pepper jelly for lack of a better description.

User avatar
Aug 1st 08 4:18 pm
Posts: 552
Joined: Feb 27th 08 3:06 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY

by silverneedles » Aug 1st 08 4:18 pm

you mean these?
Image

User avatar
Aug 1st 08 9:54 pm
Posts: 1144
Joined: Dec 2nd 07 10:53 pm
Location: New York

by joelbct » Aug 1st 08 9:54 pm

silverneedles wrote:i never get the peppery association...
Describing flavor is always a challenge, but I think "Malty" is a slightly more accurate word for GY than "Peppery..." Not quite Malty like an Assam (although actually Assam and Yunnan are geographically close so perhaps have somewhat similar terroir/climate and C. sinensis var. assamica-heavy strains (big leaf, bold tea).

Yunnan (top) and Assam (below):
Image
Image

More links:
Yunnan Tea Wikipedia
Yunnan Province General Wiki
Assam Tourism Site ;)

Oh and PS, tried the Adagio Golden Yunnan sample today. Def. a serviceable and above-average Yunnan- tippy, and smooth.

User avatar
Aug 2nd 08 2:24 am
Posts: 355
Joined: Jul 30th 08 9:42 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

by Bubba_tea » Aug 2nd 08 2:24 am

I really do mean 'pepper'. It's exactly like a fresh ground black pepper taste in the tea - it's not hard to miss! I do understand the malty you guys are describing - but it's been a looooong time since I've had a real good black pepper tea. I think the last time I bought some Yunnan from Rishi it did have some pepper to it - and I just got my dragon egg yi xing, gai wan, and various teas delivered so I'll have to check it out again.

User avatar
Aug 2nd 08 2:25 am
Posts: 1963
Joined: Apr 6th 08 11:02 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada

by chamekke » Aug 2nd 08 2:25 am

Bubba_tea wrote:Yup - another bloody Canadian! Actually I'm in Springfield MO now. Actually, watch out! We're everywhere now. We look like Americans, smell like Americans, and almost sound like Americans except for a few little things that experts can pick out. One day the grand pooba will give the order and we'll rise up and have a Molson.. :lol:
Shhh! The first rule about Canuck Club... :wink:

And whatever you do, don't let on about Canadian raising (no coincidence that it sounds like Canadian uprising!).

User avatar
Aug 2nd 08 2:32 am
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 2nd 08 2:32 am

chamekke wrote: ... Canadian raising ...
OMG, it keeps getting worse!

User avatar
Aug 2nd 08 2:39 am
Posts: 481
Joined: Feb 11th 08 4:28 am

by RussianSoul » Aug 2nd 08 2:39 am

Salsero wrote:
chamekke wrote: ... Canadian raising ...
OMG, it keeps getting worse!
I had no idea!!! :shock:

[frantically looks for a place to hide her tea]

User avatar
Aug 2nd 08 4:50 am
Posts: 355
Joined: Jul 30th 08 9:42 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

by Bubba_tea » Aug 2nd 08 4:50 am

chamekke wrote:And whatever you do, don't let on about Canadian raising (no coincidence that it sounds like Canadian uprising!).
Wow! I didn't even know it was called anything. We know what it is... imagine that, now they've even named it!! Bob & Doug Makenzie better be on the OnDemand cable service. I feel a Strange Brew coming on... 8)

User avatar
Aug 4th 08 3:17 am
Posts: 355
Joined: Jul 30th 08 9:42 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

by Bubba_tea » Aug 4th 08 3:17 am

Salsero wrote:Generally, Scott is good about replying to questions. I have found the pure gold bud to be too smooth and bland for me, but Mary R and others have loved it. I have some of the one called Simao and have not been too crazy about it. Generally I have been happier with the ones that have more black mixed in with the gold buds and not called Simao. The last excellent one I had is sold out now. It was a 2006 harvest.
Salsero - Is that Simao you mentioned above the 2008 variety? I been reading negative reports about the 2007 tea, but hopefully 2008 will turn out better.

Has anyone tried the other mentioned?
  • Early Spring 2008 "Banna Black Gold" Black Tea *
    Flowering Black Teacone
    Yunnan Black Gold
    Yunnan Pure Small Bud Black Tea * Gold Tips *
    Premium Simao Black Tea * Hong Piao Xiang *
    Dian Hong "Jin Hao" Black Tea * Spring 2007 *