Jun 11th, '17, 13:55

Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by kuánglóng » Jun 11th, '17, 13:55

joelbct wrote: Nice. My only issue with MF is they still use those non-zip pouches, which are nice but not airtight. How do you store tea from them? Might just put the pouches in zip bags or an airtight sterilite box or something.
I store all my loose-leaf teas in multi-layer ziploc bags (not standard PE ziplocs), and keep those bags organized in some airtight plastic boxes which helps to reduce the effects of atmospheric influences like temperature variations. I also keep most of the larger bags (>50g) in the cellar and only smaller bags and samples upstairs.

Jun 20th, '17, 14:21

by yshuto » Jun 20th, '17, 14:21

kuánglóng wrote:
joelbct wrote: Nice. My only issue with MF is they still use those non-zip pouches, which are nice but not airtight. How do you store tea from them? Might just put the pouches in zip bags or an airtight sterilite box or something.
I store all my loose-leaf teas in multi-layer ziploc bags (not standard PE ziplocs), and keep those bags organized in some airtight plastic boxes which helps to reduce the effects of atmospheric influences like temperature variations. I also keep most of the larger bags (>50g) in the cellar and only smaller bags and samples upstairs.
Store your tea in double lidded tea tins. Huge selection of tins/cannisters online of various colors, shapes, sizes.

Jun 20th, '17, 15:43

by kuánglóng » Jun 20th, '17, 15:43

yshuto wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
Store your tea in double lidded tea tins. Huge selection of tins/cannisters online of various colors, shapes, sizes.
Done that many years ago, didn't work too well for black, Himalayan and green teas - there's just too much air/oxygen in those tins, especially if there are only a couple grams of tea left.

Jun 20th, '17, 18:52

by joelbct » Jun 20th, '17, 18:52

Sampled the Tan Yang Gong Fu from TeaVivre couple days ago, it's excellent. Best Fujian black/red tea I've had in a while. Just very well-composed, from what I recall, and along with a couple of their Keemuns, would definitely go on the reorder list. Interestingly, I wasn't much impressed with any of their Long Jings, which is why I placed an order with them in the first place ;)
kuánglóng wrote:
yshuto wrote: Store your tea in double lidded tea tins. Huge selection of tins/cannisters online of various colors, shapes, sizes.
Done that many years ago, didn't work too well for black, Himalayan and green teas - there's just too much air/oxygen in those tins, especially if there are only a couple grams of tea left.
What I don't like about canisters/tins is that they cannot diminish in volume as the tea within is consumed, as a 100g-size pouch does nicely.

And for the bigger pouches, I can just ladle out what I need into the little 8 fl oz mason jars, which store abt 50g of typical-density tea.

My stock is diversified enough and known vendor list up-to-date enough, though, that I highly doubt I'll be buying more than 200g of any one specific tea for a long time.

I've got 4x 500g pouches in my basement that probably should have been 200g each.

Jun 20th, '17, 20:06

by yshuto » Jun 20th, '17, 20:06

joelbct wrote: Sampled the Tan Yang Gong Fu from TeaVivre couple days ago, it's excellent. Best Fujian black/red tea I've had in a while. Just very well-composed, from what I recall, and along with a couple of their Keemuns, would definitely go on the reorder list. Interestingly, I wasn't much impressed with any of their Long Jings, which is why I placed an order with them in the first place ;)
kuánglóng wrote:
yshuto wrote: Store your tea in double lidded tea tins. Huge selection of tins/cannisters online of various colors, shapes, sizes.
What I don't like about canisters/tins is that they cannot diminish in volume as the tea within is consumed, as a 100g-size pouch does nicely.

And for the bigger pouches, I can just ladle out what I need into the little 8 fl oz mason jars, which store abt 50g of typical-density tea.

My stock is diversified enough and known vendor list up-to-date enough, though, that I highly doubt I'll be buying more than 200g of any one specific tea for a long time.

I've got 4x 500g pouches in my basement that probably should have been 200g each.
Then what about mylar foil pouches?
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale- ... a-bag.html

Jun 21st, '17, 01:09

by kuánglóng » Jun 21st, '17, 01:09

yshuto wrote:
joelbct wrote: Sampled the Tan Yang Gong Fu from TeaVivre couple days ago, it's excellent. Best Fujian black/red tea I've had in a while. Just very well-composed, from what I recall, and along with a couple of their Keemuns, would definitely go on the reorder list. Interestingly, I wasn't much impressed with any of their Long Jings, which is why I placed an order with them in the first place ;)
kuánglóng wrote:

Then what about mylar foil pouches?
For some reason the mylar pouches I've used (bought mine in India) seem to do a better job with sensitive teas like green teas and Himalayan teas than standard PE bags but I prefer multi-layer bags that incorporate a mid-layer of aluminum foil that's impermeable for oxygen, moisture and light.

Jun 22nd, '17, 00:10

by joelbct » Jun 22nd, '17, 00:10

yshuto wrote: Then what about mylar foil pouches?
Thanks, I should look into ordering some.

The ones Hojo uses are probably perfect, whatever that material is.

If the original tea comes in quality, resealable pouches, it's a nonissue

But I should have some on hand for those 100g sacks from Mariage , or other vendors that use pouches that are resealable but low quality.

Jun 22nd, '17, 02:55

by victoria3 » Jun 22nd, '17, 02:55

joelbct wrote:
yshuto wrote: Then what about mylar foil pouches?
Thanks, I should look into ordering some.

The ones Hojo uses are probably perfect, whatever that material is.

If the original tea comes in quality, resealable pouches, it's a nonissue

But I should have some on hand for those 100g sacks from Mariage , or other vendors that use pouches that are resealable but low quality.
I use a variety of 4oz canisters from japan, leave tea in vendor packs with bag clips, or keep these multi-layerd ziplock pouches with aluminum in-between- odor moisture proof- like what kuanglong meantioned; Kraft Stand-Up Pouches - Foil Lined with Zipper Lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRAX5QG/re ... szbC484W3Y

Jun 22nd, '17, 14:08

by joelbct » Jun 22nd, '17, 14:08

victoria3 wrote: Kraft Stand-Up Pouches - Foil Lined with Zipper Lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRAX5QG/re ... szbC484W3Y
This, for one of the reviews from above, is what I'd be afraid of ordering a random listing off ali or amazon, though: "The not good: 7 of the 25 bags had stronger closures than the glue holding the plastic strips. Resulting in the plastic strip pulling off one or both sides of the bag."

Anyone have a link to a specific pouch product they've tried with success, without above problem?

Jun 22nd, '17, 14:28

by victoria3 » Jun 22nd, '17, 14:28

joelbct wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Kraft Stand-Up Pouches - Foil Lined with Zipper Lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRAX5QG/re ... szbC484W3Y
This, for one of the reviews from above, is what I'd be afraid of ordering a random listing off ali or amazon, though: "The not good: 7 of the 25 bags had stronger closures than the glue holding the plastic strips. Resulting in the plastic strip pulling off one or both sides of the bag."

Anyone have a link to a specific pouch product they've tried with success, without above problem?
Ya those Amazon negative reviewers there's lots of grouchy types :D I'd just return an item if there's an issue. These bags aren't made for perpetual use though and bag clips solve issue if ziplock fails. Here is a better option as you can get multiple sizes Heavy Duty Kraft Paper Self Standing Resealable Zipper Pouch Bags (1 oz- 16 oz) - FDA and USDA compliant (50, 1 Oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXJFJW6/re ... tzb4G82VT2

I also recently got a bunch of these stainless canisters from Japan via Canadian Amazon - good price. Chacha various stainless steel tea caddy H-1622 (japan import) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00422KSYK/ref ... tzbQ0ECXCQ

Jun 22nd, '17, 17:02
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 22nd, '17, 17:02

joelbct wrote:
To get a good price direct from a manufacturer, I bought 500 of those pouches about 2 years or so ago and put some up on teaswap. Those were called a 4-ounce size but for many of my teas hold a little less. At the time I did not know that shipping would cost so much because they are heavy and came from California to Massachusetts. On teaswap I had only had about 250 taken, if I remember correctly. I'm down to about my last 20. I could use 100 if people are interested in a group buy. (Hopefully one participant is from California and could take delivery there and distribute.) The thickest Kraft/foil lined pouches hold up quite well. If constantly opening and closing, the ziplock will eventually wear out. Being able to write on the pouches easily is convenient.

I am close to becoming a vendor or totally abandoning the idea. Selling pouches is not the dream (excellent tea is the dream); however, if do become a vendor I could add the pouches if enough interest was expressed. I'd prefer a group buy run by a Californian though.

Jun 23rd, '17, 00:03

by joelbct » Jun 23rd, '17, 00:03

ethan wrote:I'd prefer a group buy run by a Californian though.
Haha Ethan, that's very specific. I was, at least, born in California!

Browsing ali, 1000+ hits for "mylar zip bag," so many of them look cheap/flimsy. Of all the bazillion pouches I've encountered, Hojo's do seem to stand out as about the sturdiest.

They have a Japanese recycle symbol on them, and PE, M, PA, which I take to mean primarily polyethelene, secondary material mylar(?), and polyamine. He was a food scientist/engineer, probably selected them very carefully.

I would order only 50-100 ~5"x8" pouches, so I think retail is my best bet. Will report if I find them, if not I'll just go with those kraft bags.

Why are they called kraft bags?

Jun 23rd, '17, 08:30

by Bok » Jun 23rd, '17, 08:30

joelbct wrote: Why are they called kraft bags?
Because of the Kraft paper which covers them? :mrgreen:

Jun 23rd, '17, 16:16
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 23rd, '17, 16:16

I bought from Stockbag Depot before. An 8 - ounce pouch by their designation (which is usually regarding ground coffee) is 5.6 mil for thickness and 6 x 3.5 x 9 inches. A box of 1000 sells for $260. Half a box sells for 50% of box price plus $15. If I remember correctly, after FOB charges I was at 38 Cents a pouch.

Available are pouches that are not as thick etc. and free shipping for orders of $350 or more. I have found them very useful and quite durable but not as glamorous to have around as pretty teacups etc.

Jun 24th, '17, 01:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 24th, '17, 01:16

I know the kraft paper pouches are popular, but I got green tea in one in China and the smell of the adhesive was horrendous! It scared me away from them. I now stick to plain PVC pouches and double vacuum seal them, and I have a label printer, so no need to write on the bags.

+ Post Reply