Mar 16th, '17, 10:34

Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by joelbct » Mar 16th, '17, 10:34

Drinking Silver Tips Tea (NY)'s Meleng.

I give the flavor a solid 7.5 or 8/10 on an Assam-specific scale, if the best Assam I drank 5-10 years ago was a 10, and the Jay Shree Mangalam I ordered recently I'd give a 4. Will buy more of this one, as a fan of Assam.

Interestingly, Silver Tips specializes in Indian Tea- they had a $60/oz award winning Darjeeling on hand from their family's estate, but their Keemun Hao Ya was really an excellent example of Hao Ya IMHO.

$78/lb seems a good price. They don't specify "A" or "B" but it tastes excellent.

Some current Hao Ya "A" rates, converted to price per lb:

Teaspring: ~$128/lb (200g at $56.5)
Harney: $75/lb.
Teatrekker: $120/lb
Upton: ~ $96/lb (also 'special purchase' at ~$142/lb and a "B" at~$42/lb)
TeaVivre: $57/lb, doesnt specify "A" or "B."

Mar 16th, '17, 13:53

by kuánglóng » Mar 16th, '17, 13:53

2016 FF Singell DJ1

Singell is one of my 10 favorite estates in the hills. I've bought 4 different of their first flushes last year, three consecutive invoices among them and this, the first one is the most herbal, least fruity of the bunch with a surprisingly thick texture, pronounced DJ signature and incredibly long aftertaste - lovely stuff.

Mar 16th, '17, 16:52

by cwj » Mar 16th, '17, 16:52

Currently finishing a Keemun Mao Feng from....I have no idea the vendor :) For some odd reason I failed to label the jar when I received it :roll:
Anyway this mystery Keemun isn't too bad. A bit floral and lightly spicy, but with a rather underwhelming aroma.
Decided to rest my gaiwans and brew it "western style" in a ~300ml pot. About 4g of leaf and two infusions.

Happy tea drinking my friends.

Mar 22nd, '17, 11:35

by kuánglóng » Mar 22nd, '17, 11:35

Sipping some organic Tonganagaon Assam, pretty strong and complex, with dominant notes of honey, iodine, some malt, a healthy bit of adstringency and long lingering, complex aftertaste - excellent stuff.

Mar 22nd, '17, 11:40

by kuánglóng » Mar 22nd, '17, 11:40

(double post - can't delete it)

Mar 22nd, '17, 14:37

Re: RE: Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by joelbct » Mar 22nd, '17, 14:37

kuánglóng wrote:Sipping some organic Tonganagaon Assam, pretty strong and complex, with dominant notes of honey, iodine, some malt, a healthy bit of adstringency and long lingering, complex aftertaste - excellent stuff.
where did you get it?

Never had Tonganagaon. I was told Sessa is another decent estate.

Mar 22nd, '17, 15:39

by cwj » Mar 22nd, '17, 15:39

Starting a session of "Black Needle" (Music City Tea), one of the teas from the owner's family farm in Wuyi. The "house teas" from their village farm are quite nice indeed, particularly their black teas.
Something about farmer's hong cha from Wuyi just really hits the spot for me :)

~5 grams leaf in a ~100ml gaiwan. To be steeped about 5 or 6 times.
I hope everyone enjoys the day, and by all means make time to relax with some tea :)

Mar 22nd, '17, 18:47
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 22nd, '17, 18:47

kuánglóng wrote: Sipping some organic Tonganagaon Assam, pretty strong and complex, with dominant notes of honey, iodine, some malt, a healthy bit of adstringency and long lingering, complex aftertaste - excellent stuff.

Iodine! Iodine? Hmn. Interesting. cheers

Mar 23rd, '17, 03:42

Re: RE: Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by kuánglóng » Mar 23rd, '17, 03:42

joelbct wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:Sipping some organic Tonganagaon Assam, pretty strong and complex, with dominant notes of honey, iodine, some malt, a healthy bit of adstringency and long lingering, complex aftertaste - excellent stuff.
where did you get it?

Never had Tonganagaon. I was told Sessa is another decent estate.
I bought it here: https://www.puretea.uk.com/shop/assam-s ... nganagaon/.
Just in case ... I like their FTGOP1 Seeyok Second Flush DJ 171 (Darjeeling) even better :D

Mar 23rd, '17, 13:38

by joelbct » Mar 23rd, '17, 13:38

kuánglóng wrote: I bought it here: https://www.puretea.uk.com/shop/assam-s ... nganagaon/.
Just in case ... I like their FTGOP1 Seeyok Second Flush DJ 171 (Darjeeling) even better :D
Thanks. Looks like a US based vendor called Tea Source has Tonganagaon too.

I'm currently drinking YS' "Imperial Laoshan Shandong, Spring 2016."

Beautiful uniform, black, wiry dry and wet leaf appearance.

This is a delicious tea. YS says this is a first flush, and that comes through. Tastes very fresh and vibrant, well-balanced. Just a slight smokey note, and a bit floral and fruity. YS says chocolate note, and I can get a bit of that, but maybe my imagination. I like this one.

Mar 23rd, '17, 17:06

by kuánglóng » Mar 23rd, '17, 17:06

joelbct wrote:
kuánglóng wrote: I bought it here: https://www.puretea.uk.com/shop/assam-s ... nganagaon/.
Thanks. Looks like a US based vendor called Tea Source has Tonganagaon too.
Maybe not the same tea but I'll keep an eye on that estate.

I'm still drinking an unusual amount of red teas and shu pu these days, blame the ongoing cr@p weather. Right now it's some privately produced Heritage STGFOP1 Assam from what-cha. Not quite as excellent, durable or heavy on caffeine as the Tonganagaon but pretty darn good and complex, especially for the price. Mellow and slightly sweet with beautiful non-adstringent higher notes, fruit, spices and interesting smoke (black forest ham) in the first row and some maltiness for good measure. I'm still on the road and slowly running out of storage space but l'll probably buy some more of this tea as well.

Mar 24th, '17, 06:14

by kuánglóng » Mar 24th, '17, 06:14

2016 Organic First Flush Himshikar from Nepal

Pretty deep, with a distinct Darjeeling signature, balanced and complex flavor profile, some sweetness, tropical fruit, honey, a bit herbal, (vetiver), great mouthfeel, decent caffeine kick, body and long, complex aftertaste. While this tea doesn't get anywhere close to any of my favorite first flushes from last year it has matured into something really enjoyable over the last 12 months.

Mar 24th, '17, 08:42
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 24th, '17, 08:42

kuánglóng wrote: 2016 Organic First Flush Himshikar from Nepal
(vetiver),
That sounds quite good, though I will need to look up "vetiver". Your palate & vocabulary is better than mine. I cannot forget that you identified & liked the taste of iodine. Thanks for posting.

Mar 25th, '17, 06:35

by kuánglóng » Mar 25th, '17, 06:35

ethan wrote:
kuánglóng wrote: 2016 Organic First Flush Himshikar from Nepal
(vetiver),
That sounds quite good, though I will need to look up "vetiver". Your palate & vocabulary is better than mine. I cannot forget that you identified & liked the taste of iodine. Thanks for posting.
Thanks, Ethan, even though I have no reason to believe what you wrote in the second sentence; you seem to know your oolongs pretty well.
Regarding the iodine I've used ...loads back in the day and enjoy the smell of it in the morning :mrgreen:

Mar 25th, '17, 14:02

by joelbct » Mar 25th, '17, 14:02

High Mountain Red Ai Lao from Simao, and Yi Mei Ren Wu Liang, both Spring 2016's from YS.

Both are excellent. "Black" rather than "Dian Hong/gold" Yunnans. I slightly prefer the Ai Lao, though. Sweet and delicious.

The Yi Mei has a bit more of that "peppery-ness" I associate with Yunnan blacks/reds.

+ Post Reply