Nov 14th, '11, 13:16

Re: What Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by NOESIS » Nov 14th, '11, 13:16

Yi Mei Ren from Norbu. I'm not usually a big fan of Yunnan hong cha, but this one is quite nice.

Dec 3rd, '11, 03:27

by FineTeaUK » Dec 3rd, '11, 03:27

Recentley discovered Nepali tea from the Ilam region of Nepal. It's grown at a similar altitude and very close to Darjeeling tea plantation accross the border in India. I think it's fresher tasting that Darjeeling. The only reason this tea isn't a huge sucess is that Nepal doesn't have huge quantity to export, and lacks the infrastructutre to market it globally. I think this will come though. It'a worth a try. They do produce excellent oolong as well, that is reminiscent of Chinese Feng Huang Dan Cong (Phoenix oolong).

Dec 4th, '11, 00:56

by NOESIS » Dec 4th, '11, 00:56

Darjeeling Sungma Estate SF "Muscatel" from Tea Emporium. This is tea has the classic Darj China bush flavor profile.

http://teaemporium.blogspot.com/#!/2011 ... j-149.html

Dec 8th, '11, 19:02

by verus » Dec 8th, '11, 19:02

My mainstay black tea: a wonderful, powerful spicy Sri Lanka tea, from Blackwood tea estate. I can't be without it.

It's deep, dark, rusty red. I love this tea.

Dec 9th, '11, 08:28

by sherubtse » Dec 9th, '11, 08:28

verus wrote:My mainstay black tea: a wonderful, powerful spicy Sri Lanka tea, from Blackwood tea estate. I can't be without it.

It's deep, dark, rusty red. I love this tea.
Just out of curiosity .... Where do you source this tea? I am always on the look-out for new places to shop.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Dec 9th, '11, 20:09

by verus » Dec 9th, '11, 20:09

It's from a Dutch store...I live in the Netherlands.

Most of their tea is not very good...but this one I love, and they also have a green kukicha that is awesome. I am not sure if they can ship abroad though.

Dec 16th, '11, 12:53

by yshuto » Dec 16th, '11, 12:53

While online retailers are now releasing Autumn Flush teas, I am still drinking teas from the third shipment i have received from Mariage this year.

2011 FF Margaret's Hope. Is is still a great tasting Spring flush tea remaining consistent in it's taste year after year after year. Even this year, contrary to what I have read and heard.

Dec 17th, '11, 00:12

by Tead Off » Dec 17th, '11, 00:12

yshuto wrote:While online retailers are now releasing Autumn Flush teas, I am still drinking teas from the third shipment i have received from Mariage this year.

2011 FF Margaret's Hope. Is is still a great tasting Spring flush tea remaining consistent in it's taste year after year after year. Even this year, contrary to what I have read and heard.
When you say this tea is consistent year after year, it reminds me of Ippodo's teas in Japan where every year there is a consistent flavor that you can expect from their teas. However, there are many small farms both in Japan and Darjeeling that make much more interesting teas than these mainstays. This is one of the reasons I choose to buy other teas from Darjeeling whose flavor and aroma far surpass anything I've ever had from Margaret's Hope and Castleton, IMO. But, taste is subjective and my opinions are only opinions after all. :D

Dec 17th, '11, 08:22

by sherubtse » Dec 17th, '11, 08:22

Have just started some generic Golden Needles from a local wholesaler/importer. Nicely sweet and flavouful, and a welcome change from the slew of greens I have been consuming lately.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Dec 17th, '11, 09:46

by nrstooge » Dec 17th, '11, 09:46

Today it is clear but cold, no snow yet - but thought a pot of black dragon pearls sounded good for the morning. Who knows what I will choose for my afternoon and evening teas. :)

Dec 19th, '11, 15:37

by yshuto » Dec 19th, '11, 15:37

Tead Off wrote:
yshuto wrote:While online retailers are now releasing Autumn Flush teas, I am still drinking teas from the third shipment i have received from Mariage this year.

When you say this tea is consistent year after year, it reminds me of Ippodo's teas in Japan where every year there is a consistent flavor that you can expect from their teas. However, there are many small farms both in Japan and Darjeeling that make much more interesting teas than these mainstays. This is one of the reasons I choose to buy other teas from Darjeeling whose flavor and aroma far surpass anything I've ever had from Margaret's Hope and Castleton, IMO. But, taste is subjective and my opinions are only opinions after all. :D
I always like reading your comments.
I wish we could compare apples to apples for i would like to serve you the FF SFTGFOP Margaret's Hope I purchase each year from Mariage Freres. I have had Margaret's Hope from more online stores, retailers, tea salon's than I can count. Not here in the states but in Japan. The MF Margaret's Hope is on a far superior level. That also holds true for the MF FF Castleton compared to the FF Castleton Moonlight I have had from online retailers.

I go with the mainstay brands as well as the smaller brands, Arya, Orange Valley, Risheehat, Namring, Namring Upper, Bannockburn, Gielle, Bloomfield, Castleton, Happy Valley, Ambootia, Jungpana, Puttabong, Moondakotee, North Tukvar, Thurbo, Margaret's Hope, Princeton Blend, Queen Victoria Blend, Darjeeling Imperial Blend, etc. I have had teas from all of the above, yet since I have not travelled to tea estates, I do not know which you would consider as small farms. I have yet to taste Mim's. I have seen Mim's at one online retailer yet it would probably not the the sames as the Mim's you have purchased.

As for the smaller farm green teas from Japan, that is in my wife's expertise. She has been to and performs tea ceremony so the number of teas she has tasted would eclipse the number of teas I have had.

For Oolongs, I purchase Alishan Oolong, and scented Oolongs from a small tea store in Taiwan each year.

So if it's a good tasting tea, I would be will to try. it does not necessarily have to be mainstay. It does not necessarily have to be expensive. It does not necessarily have to be exotic. it does not necessarily have to be exclusive or rare.

Have a great day and enjoy your tea!

Dec 19th, '11, 23:36

by Tead Off » Dec 19th, '11, 23:36

I think you have tried many smaller farm offerings from Darjeeling so you are qualified to judge what you like. Sure, I'd love to taste what you bought from MF. Come to Bangkok and we will sit down and drink many different Darjeelings! :D

Dec 26th, '11, 20:48

by joelbct » Dec 26th, '11, 20:48

Drinking a Mangalam.

My mainstays are tippy Meleng and Mangalam Assam, Vithanakande, Yunnan Gold, Keemun Hao Ya and if I'm flush, that pricey $25/oz Keemun Spring Dawn that Ito En carries.

Mouthwatering!

Dec 28th, '11, 10:39

by NOESIS » Dec 28th, '11, 10:39

Enjoying a cup of Darjeeling autumn flush Castleton Estate with breakfast. One of several excellent teas that I purchased with my last Tea Emporium order.

Jan 12th, '12, 18:25

by verus » Jan 12th, '12, 18:25

Darjeeling ff, happy Valley. It's not their top tea I think, since it was € 12 for 100 grammes and I've seen Mariage Freres sell that for € 35, but it's pretty good, somewhat more robust than I expected from a first flush.

+ Post Reply