How much caffeine is in Assam black tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 22nd, '14, 18:54

How much caffeine is in Assam black tea?

by ClarG » Jan 22nd, '14, 18:54

Just wondering how much caffeine is usually in Assam Rembeng FTGFOP black tea? I had two cups both 8oz or a bit more, this morning made with boiling water at 3 mins each, and the tea was rather strong.

Oct 5th, '17, 17:24

Re: How much caffeine is in Assam black tea?

by cfinneran » Oct 5th, '17, 17:24

This is just an estimate but Assam tea averages about 80 mg of caffeine per 8 fl oz cup. Seeping time also affects the amount of caffeine present. If that felt too strong for you, try seeping it next time for less than 3 minutes.

Hope this helps!

Oct 6th, '17, 11:35

by Yatra Tea Co » Oct 6th, '17, 11:35

A "tippy" tea tends to be more caffeinated. The "T" portion of the grade (FTGFOP) suggests the tea is tippy, probably with an abundance of golden buds. I shy away from commenting on caffeine content since that really depends on how much dry leaf you added, how long you steeped it for, etc.

Sounds like you had 16 oz+ of a tippy tea. By strong do you mean the taste, or the effects of caffeine? If the taste, you could add a dash of milk or cream. If the effects of caffeine, I'd reduce your consumption. Or use less leaf/steep for a shorter time.

Nov 27th, '17, 08:49

by 12Tea » Nov 27th, '17, 08:49

There are just too many factors that affect caffeine levels such as water temperature, leaf to water ratio, leaf characteristics, season, year etc. I think in most situations we should be bothered to much about how much caffeine a tea contains, and just focus on brewing a good cup.

Nov 28th, '17, 23:05

by john.b » Nov 28th, '17, 23:05

Different ideas come up related to what has higher or lower levels of caffeine in teas but one rarely sees a relatively complete account, and even more rarely runs across measurements for types. Even when you do ("caffeine informer" web-page content, for example) it's hard to say how much value that has, if they're not comparing apples and oranges related to tea quality, or if methodology used by different sources they're drawing on is consistent or not.

I cited a study that did list out measured caffeine levels in a good number of green and black tea versions in a blog post on caffeine. That also covered review of some background factors, but I agree with 12Tea's comment that there are really too many factors as inputs for us to sort them out and do something with them. I'm not even sure that study would be helpful, since in cases when they tested different versions of teas from the same sub-category (eg. a narrow region specific tea) those varied in caffeine levels. Drinking hojicha might be as good as one could do for using a generality about lower level of caffeine, but that's tea made from stems as much as from leaves, a bit extreme as solutions go, and not to everyone's taste.

As a ball-park range sources usually say 8 ounces of tea should contain roughly 30 to 50 milligrams of caffeine, but that would no longer be true if you brew it strong, and those measured levels vary so much for specific teas the actual range probably isn't quite that narrow.

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... sited.html

Nov 30th, '17, 05:32

by RitikaAmble » Nov 30th, '17, 05:32

ClarG wrote: Just wondering how much caffeine is usually in Assam Rembeng FTGFOP black tea? I had two cups both 8oz or a bit more, this morning made with boiling water at 3 mins each, and the tea was rather strong.
Assam black tea is produced from a specific sub-species of this plant called Assamica. What kind of tea a blend will be greatly depends on the processing of its leaves. Different processing methods create the difference in varieties. However, people generally prefer black blends. This particular variety gets its unique characteristics from the oxidation process that it undergoes. It is due to this oxidation that black type of this beverage gets its powerful flavor.

It is not unknown to anybody that black brew has high caffeine content than all other types. Black blend from Assam has similar caffeine strength like all other black varieties. It is often said that Assam black brew has caffeine content like coffee. Despite this, a cup of coffee is richer in caffeine than a cup of Assam black liquor.

https://techatea.com/assam-tea/

+ Post Reply